Directory Hotlist (Ctrl+D): add a (switchable) mode to show a tooltip

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: Hacker, petermad, Stefan2, white

JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Directory Hotlist (Ctrl+D): add a (switchable) mode to show a tooltip

Post by *JOUBE »

According to this suggestion (which is thankfull allready implemented last year) [implemented in Tc11b8] Please extend the Directory Hotlist (Ctrl+D) to 1500 entries in Tc11b6. *), it would be nice to have:

A (switchable) mode to show a tooltip at the entries, where the item number, the command and the target path is shown in three lines. If only one line within the tooltip is possible: Most important is the item number.

This is to handle configuraton a little bit easier if there are a lot of entries in diretory hotlist.

Joube

*) and a remark from Ch. Ghisler (21.7.23): "Eine Suche wäre auch praktisch..."
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Directory Hotlist (Ctrl+D): add a (switchable) mode to show a tooltip

Post by *petermad »

I don't think tooltips are supported in Windows menus.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

petermad wrote: 2024-05-27, 15:10 UTC I don't think tooltips are supported in Windows menus.
Ah, maybe. me*** (sorry). Than; in this special mode, show the item number in brackets in front of the menue text.

It is simply necessary to have a way to easily identify items for editing when there are four-digit numbers of entries.

Joube
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2JOUBE

As a workaround you could put a number in the start of the title of each menu item yourself - but it will be a bitch to maintain when you add , delete or move items.

TC can detect if Ctrl or Shift is pressed when clicking an item. Maybe it is possible to make Shift-click on an item open the Hotlist editor with the clicked item focused.

Currently the last edited item is highlighted when you click "± Configure" in the Hotlist menu, so it is already possible to jump to an item in the Hotlist editor - so it should be possible to make Shift+click of Ctrl+Click on and item open the Hotlist editor with the clicked item - that would make the need for indexes in the menu unnecessary.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

petermad wrote: 2024-05-27, 22:36 UTC As a workaround you could put a number in the start of the title of each menu item yourself - but it will be a bitch to maintain when you add , delete or move items.

TC can detect if Ctrl or Shift is pressed when clicking an item. Maybe it is possible to make Shift-click on an item open the Hotlist editor with the clicked item focused.

Currently the last edited item is highlighted when you click "± Configure" in the Hotlist menu, so it is already possible to jump to an item in the Hotlist editor - so it should be possible to make Shift+click of Ctrl+Click on and item open the Hotlist editor with the clicked item - that would make the need for indexes in the menu unnecessary.
First of all, thank you for thinking along.

As you may know, the major changes in the directory hotlist last summer (2023) were the result of my initiative and my subsequent persistence. So I know this part of Tc very well. Thank to ghisler(Author) for extending the implementation in Tc11.

I have well over 1000 entries in the menu and I am constantly changing them (adding, deleting, changing subdirectories in it and changing entries). The entries are mainly "starters" for scripts, so it is important to know the name of the script (the "command") of an entry. Most of the time I don't want to change the entry itself but the script that can be called through it. So find out the name of a script via Configure is not very useful because it is too complicated and too slow.

That's why I'm open for other ideas. For example, you could actually put all the parts of an entry (number, command, target path) together internally in one line when you Shift-Click (good idea!) on it and copy them to the clipboard, so that you can extract the parts that are currently relevant when you paste them anywhere (eg into the Tc command line).

All this if tooltips are unfortunately really not possible.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

I have the following approach, maybe you can use it for your job.
Have a tree with .lnk files instead of using the Dir menu.
This tree is set to display a custom view with TC or NTFS comments
and also the path (of a script, folder or app) the .lnk points to.
The comments are content indexed by Everything, so i can find them very fast.
Using Ctrl-Left on a .lnk entry, it goes to the target script, folder or app.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3737)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1383a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.78
QAP 11.6.3.3 x64
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2024-05-28, 09:10 UTC I have the following approach, maybe you can use it for your job.
Have a tree with .lnk files instead of using the Dir menu.
This tree is set to display a custom view with TC or NTFS comments
and also the path (of a script, folder or app) the .lnk points to.
The comments are content indexed by Everything, so i can find them very fast.
Using Ctrl-Left on a .lnk entry, it goes to the target script, folder or app.
I have of course in use something similar in other places countless times, but it doesn't help here. Sorry. *)

The suggestion is addressed to ghisler(author), refers to a remark from Ch. Ghisler (21.7.23): "Eine Suche wäre auch praktisch..." and is intended to take this up and represent a further development and Tc internal improvement.

Joube

*) As long as this additional feature of the directory hotlist does not exist, I easiely have redirected the directory hotlist to a file, so I can call it up with a lister or editor and search comfortably, etc within it. This is quick and easy and well integrated into Tc, but sometimes it is not quick and easy enough when it is just a matter of determining a script/command name/pathname.