Request - "Readme" naming convention

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Jon Canale

Request - "Readme" naming convention

Post by *Jon Canale »

Is there any chance all you wonderful plugin developers could start to name the included readme.txt files in your plugin packages with the name of the plugin before the "readme".

ie, EventLog_readme.txt, pdfview_readme.txt, fileinfo_readme.txt, etc.?

I keep a copy of the readme in the plugins directory, and end up renaming the generic "readme.txt" file to keep it from overwriting someone else's readme.

It's just laziness on my part, yes, but there might be someone other than me who thinks it might be a "good" idea.

Thanks.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

IMHO it's not such a good idea to keep all plugins in one dir - then you don't know which files belong to what plugin...

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
fnheiden

Post by *fnheiden »

I also use one directory per plugin :)
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I don't second the wish to add prefixes to the readme files, too, as the first look I have in a downloaded archive is for the file starting with "readme" and of course I keep the plugins in separate archives for easier installing/uninstalling.

Without a logical directory structure you will end up in a mess.

But I would definetely sign a petition asking developers to name their readmes readme.txt instead of read.me, lookins.ide or other unusual file endings. :)

Icfu
This account is for sale
robinsiebler

Post by *robinsiebler »

If there are only files a plugin, the plugin itself and a reame (and possibly an .ini file), then I rename the readme and put both files in with all the other plugins in my Plugins dir. The only time a plugin gets its own directory is if it warrants it, such as SynPlus which has several files and subdirs.
Robin L. Siebler
Personal License #13949
------------------------------
"Bother", said Pooh, as he deleted Windows