English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Call for vote: Plugin manager

Post by *wanderer »

Hi all.

I must admit that there are many plugins out there that give TC a whole new look. They are very useful and i've started using a lot of them. Call me lazy or whatever you want but i find it rather tiring to have to keep up with TC's plugins among the other 1000 things i have to do. They are not too many now but i suppose there will be much more in the future, as the plugins system is relatively new.

Perhaps it would be nice to have a plugin manager utility which would connect with TC's site, download a list of the available plugins and showing them in a tree-like form (according to the category each plugin belongs to), flaging all the approved plugins, their version (beta/final too) and a brief description of what they are supposed to do. In this utility, you could be able to select the plugins you wish to download (zip format probably), be asked to set the download directory for each plugin (you may wish to store them in a specific path) and when the download finishes, the util could unzip the plugin in a preset TC-Plugins dir and perform an automatic "installation" of the plugin with some kind of script. All parameters could be set separately for each plugin in order for the whole process to be automated.

This task would require someone (or more than one, not Christian necessarily, i suppose we wouldn't want to distract him from TC :) ) to make the program and Christian to host and update the plugins list somewhere in the site. Does anyone believe it's worth it?

Please vote at http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=5478&sid=f3535a100f8f49236bad386644046c6b#5478
Last edited by wanderer on 2003-04-17, 11:27 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Well, I also thought about it, but there is one big problem. There should be any place (site) where there was a current information of ALL (also unofficial ones) version of plugins. All the plugins authors should also name their plugins in specific format and attach the information of the current version to the plugins.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The idea is interesting, but would require quite some work and time, so I couldn't currently do it myself.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The idea is interesting, but would require quite some work and time, so I couldn't currently do it myself.
As i said in the previous message "This task would require someone (or more than one, not Christian necessarily, i suppose we wouldn't want to distract him from TC)". I'm just throwing the idea on the table, hoping that enough programmers would be interested in such a project (an opensource one perhaps?). We certainly would like for you to spent your time enhancing TCmd rather than doing this.
djk wrote:There should be any place (site) where there was a current information of ALL (also unofficial ones) version of plugins. All the plugins authors should also name their plugins in specific format and attach the information of the current version to the plugins.
TCmd's site would be the best option IMHO. Other options: a site like MaxWish's perhaps, if he would be interested. You say the problem is that all plugin authors should contact someone in order for the plugin to be added in the list. Well, that will sort of take care of itself. Right now, any plugin author either tells about his plugin to Christian, MaxWish or announces it here. Instead of following these different methods, he could notify one person (the plugin-list manager) and he would add it in the list. Of course Christian should be notified in order to say whether the plugin is approved or not, and that's why i think it would be better if he or someone close to him was the list manager.

I believe it's something that can be done, it's just a matter of time and being in the mood to make it happen. I also believe it would simplify things. If opensource, it could be applied to other programs too.

Let's see how it goes...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Pradera

Post by *Pradera »

djk wrote:Well, I also thought about it, but there is one big problem. There should be any place (site) where there was a current information of ALL (also unofficial ones) version of plugins. All the plugins authors should also name their plugins in specific format and attach the information of the current version to the plugins.
Well, from what I've seen so far, this here forum is the best place to get all information about plugins. Maxwish's or Christian's sites are just secondary.. So any plugin manager should have access to tc forum... a solution that comes to mind is this:

Anyone posting info about his/hers plugin enters it with some special tags (<plugin></plugin> or sth). This will indicate url from which to download plugin, and version number (No idea so far what to do with people who post plugins as code :)
The program connects to forum, uses its search engine to search for <plugin> tags, and provides a report, with possibility to download and install selected plugins on the spot.
How about that? (I wish I could code something like that, but I'm too lame)
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Pradera wrote:Well, from what I've seen so far, this here forum is the best place to get all information about plugins. Maxwish's or Christian's sites are just secondary.. So any plugin manager should have access to tc forum...
Hmmm, interesting thought. Has its disadvantages though. There is no control over what anyone posts in the forum. Anyone could post a fake plugin and infect every TC user with a virus/trojan. Imagine that. :shock: It would also require the poster to follow strict rules and define the plugin in a specific way (i.e. specific header and contents of the message - plugin name, version, approval status, download link, category and whatever other parameters one may think). And what happens if he ommits a parameter? How an application will be able to check it and what actions should it take if it finds something wrong or missing? IMHO it would be complicated and risky.

You are certainly correct in this part though: "this here forum is the best place to get all information about plugins." A plugin-manager application could have links to related messages-announcements of a plugin in the forum, posted by the author. Perhaps it could even have an embedded browser to show them.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

IMHO, the following feature will be very useful in this manager: Roll back to previous version of a plugin. Sometimes new version of a plugin has some bug that doesn't allow using it, so one need to use old version while the bug is fixed.
Of course, this feature should be switchable on/off for those who don't want to provide disk space for previous versions.