Total Commander Forum Index Total Commander
Forum - Public Discussion and Support
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RSS reader + Howto be warned for every new topic ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> Total Commander (English) Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
gbo
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 319
Location: Lausanne (Switzerland)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: RSS reader + Howto be warned for every new topic ? Reply with quote

I would like to know if this is possible to receive an email (Topic Reply Notification) at every new/reply post at the forum's level (english forum) instead of the thread's level? I've checked for such an option but without success.

Thanks


Last edited by gbo on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member


Joined: 06 Feb 2003
Posts: 2841
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What abaout using the new RSS feature ?
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=6807

It's called "test", but already works quite stable.
_________________
#5767 Personal license
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gbo
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 319
Location: Lausanne (Switzerland)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I had never used RSS before and was able to use it in a matter of minutes with Firefox.

I found this small tutorial to use RSS http://johnbokma.com/firefox/rss-and-live-bookmarks.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member


Joined: 06 Feb 2003
Posts: 2841
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use RSS with Firefox too, but it displays the title only (and cuts it).

For TC forum a "real" RSS reader, which shows the whole content is much better.

I tried Feedreader www.feedreader.com first and it fits to my needs, but there are a lot of others.
_________________
#5767 Personal license
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leif
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 05 Feb 2003
Posts: 328
Location: Umeň, Sweden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using SharpReader and it suits my needs perfectly!
http://www.hutteman.com/weblog/cat_sharpreader.html
Free, of course!
_________________
Get Radio? Sure! - the best Internet Radio Player ever! ;)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
norfie
Power Member
Power Member


Joined: 18 Feb 2003
Posts: 1194

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone knows a feedreader, what shows all collected feeds in a proper thread view (like usenet-news)? (I tested Opera but it doesn't show this forums in a thread view.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
gbo
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 319
Location: Lausanne (Switzerland)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tested Feedreader, SharpReader (tks 2 sqa_wizard and Leif for pointing it out) and Omea Reader

Feedreader and SharpReader are both very good, I've a slight preference for Feedreader (simple, elegant and easy to use).

But SharpReader detects relations between articles and try to thread them logically, this feature is nice.

Omea Reader from Jetbrains is also interesting but a bit heavier and you need to request a free key by email.

My 2 cents
_________________
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Wuffi
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 05 Oct 2003
Posts: 14
Location: Hamburg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about SAGE-Plugin for firefox?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
map
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Posts: 4
Location: Czech Republic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am satisfied with RSSOwl. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tombik
Member
Member


Joined: 10 Feb 2003
Posts: 155
Location: Berlin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I┤m using Sage with Firefox and can read the whole new thread.

Tombik
_________________
License # 37884 @ TC 7.56a
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gbo
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 319
Location: Lausanne (Switzerland)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to see more that the last 25 messages in the Total Commander (English) RSS. Is it something that can be configured (it will be nice) or is it a parameter at the server side ?

BTW I switched to Sage I personally see a big synergy to use a RSS reader that is integrated with a browser IMHO

other thread in this forum Good RSS reader recommendations...?
_________________
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lesmo16
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 379
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many RSS readers mentioned in this thread ...
... have a look at wTicker - doesn't need .net
_________________
Everyone believing in telekinesis, raise my hand!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: 04 Feb 2003
Posts: 28637
Location: Switzerland

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it possible to see more that the last 25 messages in the Total Commander (English) RSS. Is it something that can be configured (it will be nice) or is it a parameter at the server side ?


According to the documentation of the RSS phpbb modification, the following options are supported:

f=x - forum id. Use data only from this forum to output RSS.
t=1 - only new topics (first messages in topic). Default - 0.
c=x - feed items count. If omitted, the value of DEFAULT_ITEMS constant

So try to use something like this:
http://ghisler.ch/board/rss.php?t=1&f=3&c=50
_________________
Author of Total Commander
http://www.ghisler.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
gbo
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 319
Location: Lausanne (Switzerland)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://ghisler.ch/board/rss.php?f=3&c=50 works perfectly well and is a clever way to pass this parameter, this is especially useful for Sage, because for Feedreader for example you can configure the number of messages to be archived.

BTW what will you advice as Feeds default refresh rate to avoid overcharged the forum's server (I've put one hour but it can be configure btw 5min -> 24hours)

Thanks
_________________
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: 04 Feb 2003
Posts: 28637
Location: Switzerland

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, please don't go below one hour if possible. Also please try to avoid updating at full hours (11:00, 12:00 etc. exactly). I have read that some big servers suffer under denial of service attacks every full hour from all the feed readers which try to get the feed exactly at the full hour...
_________________
Author of Total Commander
http://www.ghisler.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> Total Commander (English) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Impressum: This site is maintained by Ghisler Software GmbH

Using phpBB © 2001-2005 phpBB Group