Useful 3rd party tools to complement TC

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Botak wrote:I am also still looking for a good Notepad replacement but they all seem to have the same issue for me. No Hebrew/Arabic support. For the program I work on (phpgedview), I have to be able to handle these Unicode files. It works in Notepad but Notepad adds a BOM.

Greenpad has some support but it doesn't work well with Hebrew

The programs I tried and do not handle it are:
Prolix
Crimson Editor (which I use for programming)
Pspad
Greenpad
and a few other ones which I can't remember.

Yeah just like Greenpad but with Unicode support would be nice :P
Did you try the new Unicode version of PSPad ?
rolandd

Post by *rolandd »

I have not tried the new Unicode version. My impression of PSPad was OK but not convinced enough to leave Crimson Editor ;)

This morning by accident actually I ran into jEdit. This app has totally convinced me :) Have to remap some shortcuts but the same was with PSPad ;)

jEdit does support Unicode so this might be my new editor. Will use it for a while and see how it keeps up :)
Registered user #92105
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

did you try SciTE? Open Source editor with LUA-scripting abilities: http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
license #76904
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

ChoiceEditor was already mentioned, but I redo, because it runs so smoothly with TC. Now I actually can create two different associations for one single extension ! F3 is for viewing, playback, etc., F4 starts the edit-application.

ModPlug Player is a small player for module-trackers like MOD, XM or IT. (I really like to see someone making a Lister plgin for this in the future. MP has become open source in the meantime)

Moyager is a free, small media-player, lots of formats, but can also play a list of bitmaps to check animations.

CSE Html Validator Lite is of course a validator, but also an editor with right syntax for HTML, C/C++, Delphi, Perl, CSS, Java, VBscript, Text and SQL.

Of course the H.Edskes Finalbuilds should be present in this thread too. Lots of codecs, but also Quick Time Alternative and Real Player Alternative.

Poptray removes spam from the mail-server. With custom filter-rules and source code. Also small mail-client with (safe) preview and reply-option.
Calvin

Post by *Calvin »

Botak wrote:This morning by accident actually I ran into jEdit. This app has totally convinced me :) Have to remap some shortcuts but the same was with PSPad ;)
jEdit does support Unicode so this might be my new editor. Will use it for a while and see how it keeps up :)
jEdit is a very cool app, one disadvantage... it's slow.
It takes ages to start up in comparison with my other editor (Notepad++)

Some free apps worth mentioning i didn't see while doing a quick scan of this topic:
TypeAndRun without a doubt my most used program as a keyboard-freak
LongPlayer because random is often too random
WinMerge great visual diff program
Paint.NET nice paint substitute
CrapCleaner keep your PC clean
PDFCreator full featured PDF writer (installs as a printer)
ERUNT Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP

Hope there's a surprise in there for ya
Calvin

-----------------
Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Version 0.98.2 of the great free ConTEXT Editor has been released.
D1P

Post by *D1P »

WebDrive (www.webdrive.com).
WebDrive allows you to connect to an FTP, WebDAV, SFTP or FrontPage Server via a LAN or Internet connection and map a Network Drive to the server. This allows you to treat the FTP/DAV/FrontPage Server as if it were a hard disk on your system. You can drag and drop or copy files to or from the server using the Windows Explorer or by using familiar DOS commands like copy and xcopy. WebDrive instantly FTP or HTTP enables any application by integrating the server site into the Windows file system.
I.e. if you connect FTP over WebDrive, you can use wdx&wcx plugins, multirename, and other features of TC, which do not work with FTP. It is great!
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

D1P wrote:I.e. if you connect FTP over WebDrive, you can use wdx&wcx plugins, multirename, and other features of TC, which do not work with FTP. It is great!
Yes it is! A freeware alternative would be even greater though! :(
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
B@rndH

Post by *B@rndH »

pdavit wrote:
D1P wrote:I.e. if you connect FTP over WebDrive, you can use wdx&wcx plugins, multirename, and other features of TC, which do not work with FTP. It is great!
Yes it is! A freeware alternative would be even greater though! :(
Full support!!! :?
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

B@rndH wrote:Full support!!! :?
Found this: http://www.bcuc.ac.uk/main.asp?page=2117
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Lesmo16

Post by *Lesmo16 »

Like you can guess, DeskPins is a stay-on-top utility. :wink:
You can stick the pins directly into the windows title bar.
Very useful for Drag&Drop from one window to another,
i.e. from TC to your CD burning application ...
Everyone believing in telekinesis, raise my hand!
lhay-mehr

Post by *lhay-mehr »

There's this DialogMate which adds the "Allways On Top" to all the system menus, and adds the Favorites dialog in the default open/save dialogs. Reason i'm advertizing this is cause i wrote a small app which syncs DialogMate's favorites from TC's Directory Hotlist.

There's a v2 of DialogMate too, but not for use with my tool :)
D1P

Post by *D1P »

Dekart Private Disk
Very useful utility. It create some kind of virtual drive, all apps can work with this disk as usual.
File with all virtual disk data physically saved on your HDD. File is strongly encrypted (256-bit AES encryption), and you must enter your password then work with it.
Light version of PDL is freeware, but supports all important features. The program don't require installation, work with command line keys, and simply built in TC.
Lesmo16

Post by *Lesmo16 »

lhay-mehr wrote:There's this DialogMate which adds the "Allways On Top" to all the system menus, and adds the Favorites dialog in the default open/save dialogs.
Thanks to lhay-mehr and CoMiKe (who mentioned DM2 some posts before).

DialogMate is really great - would be perfect if it would indicate if a window is top-most or not (with a pin-up needle like DeskPins). Nevertheless I've switched to DM2, at least because of its additional great features. :D
Everyone believing in telekinesis, raise my hand!
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 17-08-2005 09:49:00 +0000 Calvin wrote:

C> Some free apps worth mentioning i didn't see while doing a quick scan
C> of this topic:
C> TypeAndRun without a doubt my most used program as a keyboard-freak

Well, according to the fact that TAR is mostly discussed application in this thread (so TAR mail conference was created as result), it looks like you "quick scan" was not a scan at all.[/face]