CD-Ripper 1.2

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

...only for down-sampling...
It's a bit OT but there is no such thing as down-sampling in lossy formats (mp3, ogg, mpc, acc, ...) it's basically a re-encoding or more widely known as transcoding and is regarded as "evil" thing to do due to lousy quality you get after transcoding and should generally be avoided.

Cheers.
SCHMaster

Post by *SCHMaster »

Or several users use the same plugin directory but everyone want to use his own ini file
Possible I shall do choice "owner ini file" or "tc ini file"
2pdavit
When moving (F6) in any event source file deletes
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

JackFoo wrote:
...only for down-sampling...
It's a bit OT but there is no such thing as down-sampling in lossy formats (mp3, ogg, mpc, acc, ...) it's basically a re-encoding or more widely known as transcoding and is regarded as "evil" thing to do due to lousy quality you get after transcoding and should generally be avoided.

Cheers.

If you reduce the sampling rate then the process IS called down-sampling. If you apply a coding method to compress data that’s a totally different issue even if for mp3s both can occur simultaniously. Down-sampling itself is a process of reducing data by "cutting" audio quality (audioable by humans or not!) anyway so it only applies on lossy formats.

I can understand though that we tend to use the term widely as in reality down-sampling is for example a convertion from 48KHz to 44.1KHz and not converting 256kbps to 160kbps. In the latter case you keep the sampling rate steady.

Any way, the issue here was not the quality but ruther the functionality of CD-Ripper.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

If you reduce the sampling rate then the process IS called down-sampling. If you apply a coding method to compress data that’s a totally different issue even if for mp3s both can occur simultaniously. {......} In the latter case you keep the sampling rate steady.
So which process did you refer to? Was it re-sampling 48khz to 44.1khz or reducing bitrate of your compressed files? I'm betting on the second if so my point still stands if you meant re-sampling 48-44.1 than I'm sorry. As for being OT I did state it in the beginning of my post.
SCHMaster

Post by *SCHMaster »

Last update
CD-Ripper 1.5

Only all files

[+] Convert WMA in MP3
[+] Convert WMA in OGG
[+] Convert WMA in WAV
[+] Use the external programs-codec (command line)
[+] Added CPU-load indicator
[+] Added of Ripper peak indicator
[+] Possibility of the choice INI file
[+] Possibility of the choice of the directory of the modules
[+] Check to readiness modules

[*] Small change and corrections [/b]
djk
Power Member
Power Member

As usual -some

Post by *djk »

SCHMaster wrote:Last update
CD-Ripper 1.5
Hi, It's me again (as usual after a new version) :-)

First of all - thanks for a new version :-)

And as usual some bugs:
- Just after trying to run Settings I get "Invalid path for folder" - of course when I choose "Modules folder" everything works OK. But in the first moment I had no idea what path it wanted (esspecially I put Codecs folder just below CDRipper plugin).
- Polish code page in language file - as it used to be once -it's wrong :-( (and of course I hope Andrzej send you a new full translation soon :-) )
- For WMA files it doesn't keep the changed bitrate - it always back to 128
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Thanks for implementing my wish SCHMaster!

Excellent work as always! ;)

As for any bugs... see you in v1.5.1! :D
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
SCHMaster

Post by *SCHMaster »

2djk
For WMA files it doesn't keep the changed bitrate - it always back to 128
Hmmm... Strange, beside me all work. Possible left some mistake :?: . I have updated the archive. Download on old link
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 20:21 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
SCHMaster

Post by *SCHMaster »

2norfie
IMO you should use your own INI file instead of fsplugin.ini
Completely with you agree, but
Hmmm, but this behaviour can be a problem if you doesn't have write-right (read-only) in this plugin directory. Or several users use the same plugin directory but everyone want to use his own ini file
:D
Because of your post I have added choice INI file
And, apropos, TCmd crashs because of this - default (on first plugin start) - fsplugin.ini. This I must shall correct
But this rip.ini should be located in same dir as fsplugin.ini
I act on principle "one program (plugin) - one directory" Why scatter the files?
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 20:21 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
SCHMaster

Post by *SCHMaster »

2norfie
Yes, I have understood wrong you. But after your explanation, I with you not agree. Predstavte itself if it is installed much plugins and all of these have INI files in directory TC? This will already look like directory Windows - plenty of INI files. So, on miscellaneous cause users - beside Ripper not so much adjustments and their much simply change. On this I shall do so - by default INI in plugin directory or fspugin.ini - a decision final.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Several bugs for the new version:

1. As norfie wrote it really makes error when you try to add it (I know you will correct it ;-) )

2. It's a pity that when you run Settings you can't use Ctrl-Tab at once to change tabs.

3. I also don't like the way it creates ini files. Now I have:
- CDRipper.ini - in windows directory
- fsplugin.ini - in my profil directory - I agree with norfie that it would be better if there would be separate section for every plugin in fsplugin.ini. It would be easier to find any settings or delete all the settings for the plugin. And of course there wouldn't be any problems if two or more plugins had the same names of sections.
- rip.ini - in plugin directrory (when you uncheck default ini parameter and checkt it again).
BTW: When you uncheck and check again (even at once) the default ini check box and press OK - you can't change the settings again until you restart TC. When you try to press settings again you come like into directory and see one icon without any description.

4. For WMA it really makes strange things with the settings of bitrate. I reinstalled whole TC (I removed all .ini files and directories before reinstallation) and it still doesn't work. When I set bitrate to 32 press ok and run settings again - it's 32 (ok). When I set 48 - I get 64, for 64 - 96, for 96 - 160, for 128 -128 (ok), for 160 and 192 - 128 :-(

5. Put the translation files as separate download on your page - then they could be easier accessable and you could publish new or modyfied ones without repacking whole the plugin.
DJK
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
SCHMaster

Post by *SCHMaster »

Some bugs are fixed. Link - old and
translation files
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

SCHMaster wrote:Some bugs are fixed. Link - old and
translation files
:-) You are quick as lightning :-)
Some bugs removed..... I'm waiting for the rest... :-)
DJK
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl