WipeDir & InternalzipTemp entries

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

satyr

WipeDir & InternalzipTemp entries

Post by *satyr »

Hey all after some time...

First I am curious what is the "WipeDir=" wincmd.ini entry's purpose; it is not explained in the help file. And as second regarding "InternalzipTemp=" entry; why TC still uses the TEMP/TMP location for un-zipping (set by user environment-variable), even if InternalzipTemp's value points to somewhere else.

Also see this related thread of mine here on Total Commander forum: Total Commander and usage of the _tc directory

P.S., Lately I started using the so-called "RAM drive/disk", if anyone wants to see this particular thread on the ArsTechnica forums (my nick is "shirker" and hehe, most of the posts in this thread are posted by me): RAM drives and XP; and so I've set TEMP/TMP variables to point to it. But now I am thinking of doing the same with the WipeDir and InternalzipTemp ones.

thanks and regards, satyr
Last edited by satyr on 2005-10-13, 21:29 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Here's a link to my personal Tadej's computing homepage website, please check it out if you're interested in my computing-related articles, discoveries, hints, principles, rules etc.
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Re: "WipeDir" & "InternalzipTemp" lo

Post by *solid »

satyr wrote:First I am curious what is the "WipeDir=" wincmd.ini entry's purpose;

Path to the folder for placing temporary Total Commander files.
Means Tc will wipe the dir after it finishes the job
And as second regarding "InternalzipTemp=" entry;
Temporary path for internal ZIP packer
satyr

Post by *satyr »

Thanks for the reply, solid. Yes you're right, but for other things like "file compare" feature etc., TC still uses the TEMP/TMP variable location (in my case on RAM drive); on my computer the respective path is: B:\Cache\Temp\_tc

For instance you can see this directory being created in Explorer (and you didn't yet click "OK" on that prompt that pops-up), when you're comparing two possibly big files (let's say two executables from different TC versions); and the two files are identical. I wrote "and you didn't yet click ..." because if you would click, the "_tc" directory would be deleted or yet better left-over (however, it is not deleted on some occasions, not sure why/when)

P.S., Not related at all, but if anyone is interested in the continued discussion on RAM drives/disks in the "RAM drives and XP" thread and also in another somehow related thread I opened titled "Why IE needs so long to load some totally small page (cached on RAM disk) ??", I highly recommend you to check it out.

The thing is that folks there were trying to explain to me that having a RAM disk/drive software installed (and driver running, so that a potrion of RAM is reserved and behaves as hard-disk's drive) is not a good thing to do for gaining a performance; that one may actually loose a performance. Mainly they say that it's because any frequently accessed files/data are in file cache anyway (which is part of RAM), so that in the end (quoting user "DriverGuru"): "So when you write to the RAM drive the data is first copied from the program's buffer to the XP file cache, THEN it is being copied AGAIN to the RAM drive. You now have two copies of the stuff in RAM and twice the CPU cache has been clobbered vs. an ordinary write to a disk file."

satyr
Here's a link to my personal Tadej's computing homepage website, please check it out if you're interested in my computing-related articles, discoveries, hints, principles, rules etc.
satyr

Re: "WipeDir" & "InternalzipTemp" lo

Post by *satyr »

solid wrote:Path to the folder for placing temporary Total Commander files.
Just one more thing though; which are these "temporary Total Commander files" in particular ?? ...beside ZIP packer's temporary files set by "InternalzipTemp's, and others for which Total Commander uses the TEMP/TMP location; as mentioned things like "file compare" etc. (this one appears to be "hard-coded", i.e. the location cannot be changed with Total Commander); I guess the only way to change that is with the "SETLOCAL" command in a batch file.

regards, satyr
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2satyr
which are these "temporary Total Commander files" in particular
Well, FTP uses a lot of temporary files while running - one for each directory that has been opened.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar