CD Tree colors customization

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

makspyat

CD Tree colors customization

Post by *makspyat »

It would be nice to have an option to customize CD Tree colors, and particular selection color. Right now it is black and it is hard-coded. CD tree should preferably use system colors, or in a worse case user should be able to change these colors.

BTW, by default Total Commander has “strange” and very unusual look that was common for old Windows 3.1 applications. It would be nice to review application user interface and make it more presentable: use standard colors, use menus with images, add toolbar to Lister, etc.

Please open up this page: http://www.frigate3.com/screenshots.php

I see huge difference between two applications, and Total Commander is definitely not a winner - it definitely requires some revamping.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Frigate does look nice. And many would agree that TC could do with a code overhaul, but honestly I think it unlikely that we'll see that.

The consensus I've gathered from the forums, is that people would rather more functionality and/or more options for current features than prettifying the interface -- which might attract some new users, current ones mostly dont care.
And really the users it would attract that are going to grade an application solely on how it looks aren't going to stick w/ TC anyways, cuz it takes far too much work to make the menu's and toolbars suitable.
The menu names and organization is far too foreign to anyone that hasn't followed the "Commander" design concepts from early days.

I've spent countless hours redoing menus. Very few programs will even let you do something like that. Which in itself is a large plus, but also a minus since so many commands aren't even listed in default menus and it takes so many steps to reload changes to a menu - instead of a command to reload/refresh the current file.

UltraEdit probably had the best interface for building menu's, right within the gui, and all commands available and organized by topic to insert into your menu or toolbars. Ability to make floating or docked toolbars, and customized menus.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Sorry makspyat, but if you judge TC just by looking at it
its definitiv not the right Programm for you :D
Other User choose by what a Programm is able to do :P
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Xtrician

Post by *Xtrician »

Frigate include a Background Picture of the files.
I someone see my topic about it he can to see that i think on that feature without see that program (Frigate).

Ghisler please add this feature to TC 7.
Elad
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Hell no! Plz dont - Skinning and Background Pics is DEFINITIV something that shouldnt be included in a filemanager :P
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Xtrician

Post by *Xtrician »

TC is the most advanced File Manager.
But he need to be more beautiful and skinning.
Elad
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

But he need to be more beautiful and skinning
If you want to make it slow down, eat resources and incompatible with OS < win2000 then it is up to you to use 3rd party programs for this. There are a lot of tools available for this, more or less buggy.

TC should do its job fast and reliable, that's first priority !
#5767 Personal license
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2sqa_wizard
TC should do its job fast and reliable, that's first priority!
Exactly. But IMHO TCs default appearance is way to much win3.1-like. Get me right, I'm absolutely against a skinning engine and other sophisticated design features, but as mentioned many times by many users, it's really time for some slight changes to let TC have a more modern look (default font, icons, etc.)
But unfortunately there's no progression on this issue by now...
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

StickyNomad wrote:... it's really time for some slight changes to let TC have a more modern look (default font, icons, etc.)
Support ++
#5767 Personal license
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

TC certainly doesn't look like a 3.1 APP to me, it's what you make it:
Image: http://ca.geocities.com/crashnbrn71/TC01.png
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2Balderstrom
it's what you make it
You`re absolutely right and I'm aware of that. The possibilities to modify TCs look are sufficient IMHO. I was referring to the default settings and according with that the first impression to a TC newbie. Many users may have the impression of an outdated program, even if TCs features are up-to-date and powerful. But you have to explore these features first, and TCs old-school look may deter some design-oriented users before they give its Features a try. Just my 2 cents.

BTW you can see how my TC looks by watching the screenshot in my signature...
B@rndH

Post by *B@rndH »

If it's just to have the alternative available why not just save a couple of colour presets (like those of Sticky Nomad e.g.) and allow the user to switch between them. I think that's much more convenient than to expect a novice to adjust colours.

As far as background pictures are demanded: I do not think that that improves the readability of the file lists (the frigate example is just one nice example against it!); however, if the user really wants to have it that way ... on the other hand I can already hear 'em: "I can't read the file names in the list!! Make it work!" *hmpf*

Regards,
B@rndH
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

I do not think that that improves the readability of the file lists
I confirm that. I'd rather see the long suggested alternate colors for even and odd rows in the file list to improve readability.

[EDIT]
As I found here, Gridlines and/or alternate colors are planned for TC 7.0, so I'll hope we'll have that feature soon...
[/EDIT]
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm currently working on an UI overhaul. I have already added alternate colors for odd/even lines, and support for XP-style toolbar buttons. Other enhancements are planned, andI'm open for suggestions now.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

@ghisler(Author)
I have already added alternate colors for odd/even lines, and support for XP-style toolbar buttons.
:shock: :D Wow, That's what I call great news! So the poll I started recently about the buttonbar is now superfluous...

Did you make any decision about new default icons yet? I'm overdoing my collection at the moment and it will be ready for some competition in a while.