What additional icons for wcmicons.dll?

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

What additional icons for wcmicons.dll?

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Currently wcmicons.dll contains only a few icons. With the redesign of the icons by user 'StickyNomad', I would like to add some (about 10-20) additional icons for the most used functions. I don't want to add icons for all functions, these would be very hard to find for the user, and make the dll very large.

Therefore I would like to know for which functions you would like to see default icons.

For example, an icon to switch to thumbnail view would be nice. -> cm_SrcThumbs

Please make your suggestions in this thread!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

I think, the icons for the following commands could be useful:
  • Compare by content
  • Multi-rename tool
  • Print (user will decide which of 3 Files->Print functions he likes best; or maybe 3 slightly different Print icons for these functions)
  • Background Transfer Manager
  • 'Comments' and 'Thumbnails' modes (maybe also for Quick View mode)
  • Branch View
  • Settings
  • Save Position
  • Find Files
  • Synchronize Dirs
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I would like icons for:

cm_Switch83Names
cm_SwitchLongNames

thank you
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

I frequently use 'StickyNomad' icons of :

cm_VerticalPanels
cm_SyncChangeDir
#5767 Personal license
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

I second Flint's suggestions.

Regards, Juergen
My add-ons and plugins for TC: NiftyLink, mbox, Sequences
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

I have created my own for local use, of, apart from icons for internal commands, links to sub-categories
of the custom button-bar. Categories with apps, that are not so frequently used, bust must be there.
So in my case I have made an 'audio'-icon, 'graphic', 'fractal' and 'system' (the cleaners) on a sub-bar.
I use the main TC-icon from wcmicons.dll as a return button from those bars to the main custom bar.
So far, in favour of my own routines, I have made an icon-bitmap for the custom-bar linking to the
TC-command of 'swap panels' with a yin-yang-sign. The second command I frequentliy use in my work
is the Multi Rename tool. I chose the icon for this from wcmicons.dll with the two buttons A and B.
Enough to serve my distinction.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

I have the following lists (I won't be sad if the secondary list doesn't make it but the frequently one includes commands I virtually use nearly every day):

Frequently used (individual user need do apply here though):
- branched view
- subdirs space (Alt+Shift+Enter)
- turn on/off hidden files
- save selection
- restore selection
- save current position
- configurations

Secondary importance (that is of course a personal interpretation):
- copy filenames with full path to clipboard
- split/combine file
- system commands (i.e. my computer, printers, fonts, desktop etc.) - maybe as a subbar to save some space
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

pdavit
- system commands (i.e. my computer, printers, fonts, desktop etc.)
At first I thought about them too, but I think, it would be better solution to use standard system icons for these commands. (Of course, the drawback of this idea is that the icons cannot be included in TC distribution and everyone will have to specify them by hand...)
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

the drawback of this idea is that the icons cannot be included in TC distribution and everyone will have to specify them by hand
Unless TC uses standard variable formats like %SystemRoot% in the path.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

The ICL should concentrate on TC functions only, not add redundant icons from Windows.

I am still hoping for a decent standard ICL library containing as many icons as possible with placeholders for icons not been developed till now. This would mean easy updating when new icons are added without having to change the button paths. It would also mean that ICLs can easily be exchanged if they adhere to the standard format.

Icfu
This account is for sale
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

icfu wrote:...with placeholders for icons not been developed till now. This would mean easy updating when new icons are added without having to change the button paths. It would also mean that ICLs can easily be exchanged if they adhere to the standard format.
That is a must IMHO!
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for all your suggestions! I agree with icfu that we should concentrate on internal TC functions - users can use for example shell32.dll for standard icons.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
First of all I would like to say that it's a good idea to ask users which icons should be included. :D
I don't want to add icons for all functions, these would be very hard to find for the user, and make the dll very large.
I think the argument "hard to find for the user" only applies if no default icon is suggested to the user. If a user selects a command to add a default icon should be suggested to the user.

So we have two questions:
1) Which icons are added to the default buttonbar?
2) Which icons should be included in the icon lib?

My answer to question #1 is listed below
My answer to question #2 is simply as many icons as possible. The package size is not really important. The placeholder idea for missing icons sounds good but I think a naming standard dealing with individual icon files could be more flexible.
  • Rename (Shift+F6) (cm_RenameOnly)
  • Change Attributes (cm_SetAttrib)
  • Pack (cm_PackFiles)
  • Unpack (cm_UnpackFiles)
  • Encode MIME/UUE/XXE(cm_Encode)
  • Verify CRC checksums(cm_CRCcheck)
  • Select group (cm_SpreadSelection)
  • Select all (cm_SelectAll)
  • Find files (cm_SearchFor)
  • Rename multiple files (cm_MultiRenameFiles)
  • File comparison (cm_CompareFilesByContent)
  • Print directory (cm_PrintDir)
  • Copy names with full path (cm_CopyFullNamesToClip)
  • Popup directory tree (cm_CDtree)
  • Connect to FTP (cm_FtpConnect)
  • New FTP connection (cm_FtpNew)
  • Desktop folder (cm_OpenDesktop)
  • Open new tab (cm_OpenNewTab)
  • A dropdown menu for sort commands.
  • A dropdown menu for view commands.
Please consider that this list only applies to the current TC commands but may not apply to TC 7.0 commands.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Re: What additional icons for wcmicons.dll?

Post by *karlchen »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Currently wcmicons.dll contains only a few icons. With the redesign of the icons by user 'StickyNomad', I would like to add some (about 10-20) additional icons for the most used functions. I don't want to add icons for all functions, these would be very hard to find for the user, and make the dll very large. ...
One of the reasons why I like and use StickyNomad's icon library V1.10 is its completeness. Its size of 360kb is not a problem, and it is tiny compared to shell32.dll. Yet, there is an appropriate icon in it for almost any action related to TC. Having most of the icons ever needed in one ICL file is much more comfortable than scanning dozens of files for icons.

So I very much like the idea of a wcmicons.dll that is as complete as vicons2_buttonbar.icl e.g.

The buttonbar icons which you are very likely to find on any TC installation done by me are:
  • Reread Source (the floppy)
  • Invert Selection
  • Source Long (All details)
  • Source Tree (Directory Tree)
  • CopyFullNamesToClip
  • SetAttrib
  • GetFilespace
  • CompareDirs
  • GotoPreviousDir
  • GotoNextDir
  • FtpConnect
  • FtpNew
  • CompareByContents
The rest usually will be stuffed with icons of my favourite and most valuable applications like ProcessExplorer, HexEditor, PFE, Eventvwr etc pp.

Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song