Anyone interested in a Total Commander Wiki?

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, I had also used this "back to parent" in some of my articles, it's certainly a good way for navigation.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
As you can see here displaying external images in the wiki is no problem. The downside is that displaying frames and captions only works with uploaded images ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:How_to_edit_a_page#Images ).

I fear the wiki will fail without this feature. If I cannot edit the way I want the wiki doesn't make sense. So the decision is up to.
Vochomurka
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vochomurka »

Why I did not so far put my contents to the Wiki pages?
1. I've spent some months to prepare html-version of my script library. It would offend me to spend some more months to reformat all this for the Wiki.
2. Wiki pages can be edited by anyone who wants. So, if somebody modifies the script code (as a joke, of course), the script can be inoperative or even destructive for people who would use it. Do you want this? I don't.
3. Typical page describing a script is small (about 6 kb) and can be loaded even with very slow traffic. I am a bad web designer, and I use very simple html coding. Scripts themselves are about 2 kb each.

I hope Ergo will soon help me with opening my page at wincmd.ru or totalcmd.net servers. Please wait.

I keep learning the Wiki page editing rules to upload scripts there some day...

Please tell me what you think of the above.

Moderator message

Posts from this post to that post have been split from PowerPro scripts for Total Commander.

Hacker (Moderator)
Last edited by Vochomurka on 2006-01-14, 00:05 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Single user license #329241
PowerPro scripts for Total Commander
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2Vochomurka
To prevent that your page gets edited, the best way is indeed to put up a link to an external static site. Alternatively, you can ask me to protect your pages from editing. For example, the FAQ - Ordering pages are protected so no one can enter fake prices for Total Commander...
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Protected static sites are annoying. If one thinks that his site is so "important" that it needs to be "protected" one should not post it in the Wiki but leave it where it is.

@ghisler:
Please move http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Ordering to http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/FAQ_Ordering.

See discussion page http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Talk:FAQ for explanations.

@Vochomurka:
1. You can use HTML in the Wiki. If the content is worth it, someone will for sure take the time to convert it to Wiki style so you won't have much work to do.
2. AutoHotkey section is existing for a long time already. Vandalism is unlikely due to the registration.
3. Well?

Icfu
Last edited by icfu on 2006-01-14, 00:51 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This account is for sale
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

icfu wrote:Protected static sites are annoying. If one thinks that his site is so "important" that it needs to be "protected" one should not post it in the Wiki but leave it where it is.
True.
Or maybe consider to make somone else a wikisysop, too. That could free you from work that can be done by others as good (or better) as by you. I guess there are a few users you could trust enough to ask you before important changes.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

2 Fast 4 Me. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Protected static sites are annoying. If one thinks that his site is so "important" that it needs to be "protected" one should not post it in the Wiki but leave it where it is.
Sorry, I would get into legal troubles if I allowed the change of the ordering pages. For example, someone could change the price of a licence to $1, and people could sue me for delivering the program to them at this price.
OK, done!

The main problem with these delete/move actions are that my wiki user ghisler(Author) is also only a normal user. As recommended, I have created a separate admin user WikiSysop, who is currently the only user who can delete or move pages. Why? If there is some weakness in the Wiki which can tell others my login data (e.g. via a cross site scripting attack), he would only gain my unprivileged account data.

The problem with this is that I do not get any delete requests when logging in as normal user. Any ideas?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
ghisler(Author) wrote:
Sorry, I would get into legal troubles if I allowed the change of the ordering pages. For example, someone could change the price of a licence to $1, and people could sue me for delivering the program to them at this price.
Icfu didn't mean the ordering page, but a normal page having been made static to prohibit changes (as Vochomurka suggested, to protect his scripts from malicious modifications).

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The problem with this is that I do not get any delete requests when logging in as normal user. Any ideas?
As I proposed above: Maybe you could create another Wikisysop account for one user you trust. That one could have a look at the Wiki via RSS and will see all changes. Or he could observe the Categories: Kategorie:Löschen in the german Wiki and Category:Delete for the english Wiki. Those Categories contain all sites that use the template {{Löschantrag}} or {{DelRequest}} what should be all sites to be deleted.

And it could be placed a link with his email address for other requests (maybe a special one creates only for this purpose).

sheepdog
Douglas Adams
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@Hacker:
Exactly, although I sincerely doubt that anyone could sue ghisler because of wrong prices in a Wiki as only the price on the contract has any meaning.

Otherwise I'll visit my local Ferrari dealer tomorrow, exchange a price sign in the foyer and then buy my new Ferrari for 99 Cent. If he refuses to do so I'll sue him! Lucky me! :)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

icfu wrote:I'll visit my local Ferrari dealer tomorrow, exchange a price sign in the foyer and then buy my new Ferrari for 99 Cent. If he refuses to do so I'll sue him! Lucky me! :)
Please can buy one for me, too? Thanks in advance. :lol:

sheepdog
Douglas Adams
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Maybe you could create another Wikisysop account for one user you trust.
I vote for a simple rule like

Code: Select all

All users with more than 1111 postings receive moderator status either automatically or by requesting ghisler. Users with less than 1111 postings may receive moderator status by requesting other moderators.
Please can buy one for me, too? Thanks in advance.
I'll see what I can do for you. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

All users with more than 1111 postings receive moderator status either automatically or by requesting ghisler. Users with less than 1111 postings may receive moderator status by requesting other moderators.
Yeah! I want power! :twisted:
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

icfu wrote:

Code: Select all

Sounds reasonable to me.

And regarding the site with prices (or other critical content) so may it not be included into the Wiki but linked to an external website. Maybe just a copy of the one at ghisler.com with an additional link "Back To Wiki".

I just changed that in the german Wiki as there are the ordering sites not protected till now.

sheepdog
Douglas Adams