Is there a Full Screen mode for TC?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Derek Cornish

Is there a Full Screen mode for TC?

Post by *Derek Cornish »

Sometimes, when I am using Show>Quick View Panel for scrolling through a list of different files (e.g., jpg, pdf, htm ones) it would be useful if I could temporarily enlarge the display by getting rid of some or all of the toolbars - the way F11 does in FireFox.

Is there a way of doing this in TC?

Thanks,

Derek
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Derek Cornish

Post by *Derek Cornish »

Thanks very much, Gral. It works pretty well and is exactly what I was looking for, although there is quite a lot of screen blinking as it goes into Full Screen mode, and out of it again.

Also, when one goes in and comes out of Full Screen repeatedly the results are not always consistent - i.e., sometimes the taskbar is visible, sometimes not. Sometimes the menu bar shows double, etc.

This may be something I am doing wrong. As the Readme is in Russian, I am having trouble working out how best to use it.

1. Do I just double-click on TCFS.exe to turn on and turn off "Full Screen"? (This is what I am doing at the moment)

2. Or do the other two exe files - TCIW and TRAYCTRL - do something extra?

TRAYCTRL inserts an icon in the systems tray, but I don't quite see what else it does, especially as the systems tray is not visible when in "Full Screen" mode. Nothing seems to happen when I double-click it... :-)

Derek
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

With a few preparations you can achieve something like this
  1. Create an empty file named "Wcmd_zero.mnu"
  2. place this file in the "Language\" directory in your TC program folder.
  3. paste the following code into a file named "fullscreen.ini" in TC Program folder:

Code: Select all

[1024x768 (8x16)]
    maximized=1
    [Configuration]
    Aligned extension=1
    PanelsVertical=0
    RestrictInterface=1
    test=151
    Mainmenu=Wcmd_zero.mnu
    firstmnu=2618
    [Layout]
    ButtonBar=0
    DriveBar1=0
    DriveCombo=0
    CurDir=0
    KeyButtons=0
    CmdLine=0
    StatusBar=0
    TabHeader=0
    [shortcuts]
    A+M=2015
    C+S=580

4. switch to the TC program folder
  5. put to the command line:

Code: Select all

totalcmd.exe /i=.\fullscreen.ini 
  6. press Enter
  7. If TC is not already maximized press[Alt]+[M] to maximize
  8. Press [Ctrl]+ to save these settings

Now you can run TC with the /i=.\fullscreen.ini parameter in (nearly) full screen mode.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

[OT] Sheep, this pic is much better then previous. Maybe it was just too... small ?

m
Habemus majkam!
Derek Cornish

Post by *Derek Cornish »

Thank you, Sheepdog!

I think I am nearly there, but I seem to be running into a problem at the end.

I got to Step 5, and entered the code "totalcmd.exe /i=.\fullscreen.ini".

This gave me a fullscreen view in a second copy of TC. [Pressing Alt+M did not seem to do anything in this second copy - presumably because the screen was already "full". I then pressed the Ctrl+S. ]

I closed both copies of TC, and then ran TC with "totalcmd.exe /i=.\fullscreen.ini" from the Run Menu. It worked perfectly, giving me the full screen!

When I used Quick View (Ctrol+Q) however, I was not able to display my jpg files as images, as I am in a "normal" view of TC. In fact, none of the plugins seem to be working. Is there something else I need to do to achieve this?

I noticed, by the way, that after running "totalcmd.exe /i=.\fullscreen.ini", the file "fullscreen.ini" had doubled its size.

Sorry if this message seems disjointed. Blame it on my ignorance :-)

Derek
KevinMo

Post by *KevinMo »

The command line parameter told TC to use another configuration file fullscreen.ini. Since you haven't installed them in this configuration, none of them will be working.
Solution: copy your plugins' section in your old ini file to the new one or manually install them again

Hope this helps
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Derek Cornish wrote:This gave me a fullscreen view in a second copy of TC. [Pressing Alt+M did not seem to do anything in this second copy - presumably because the screen was already "full". I then pressed the Ctrl+S. ]...

I noticed, by the way, that after running "totalcmd.exe /i=.\fullscreen.ini", the file "fullscreen.ini" had doubled its size.
Right ALt+M will only maximize TC (I added this Hotkey in section [shortcuts] in case you don't use 1024x768 resolution). And Control+S would save these settings to the 'fullscreen ini'
The doubling of size is normal as TC saves all settings into this ini now. I only added those entries you need to get fullscreen mode (disabling buttonbar etc. set in section [Layout].

I closed both copies of TC, and then ran TC with "totalcmd.exe /i=.\fullscreen.ini" from the Run Menu. It worked perfectly, giving me the full screen!
There's no need to close other instances of TC. With "/i=.\Fullscreen.ini" you will always get this 'fullscreen' mode without your accustomed TC.

When I used Quick View (Ctrol+Q) however, I was not able to display my jpg files as images, as I am in a "normal" view of TC. In fact, none of the plugins seem to be working. Is there something else I need to do to achieve this?
As KevinMo pointed out: The plugins and all your settings are saved in your normal wincmd.ini (you could find it's location by pressing [Alt]+[h]elp-> then [A]bout.

Simplest you can do is:

1. copy your wincmd.ini to "fullscreen.ini".
2. Search for the section [Layout] and replace it by the one from the code above.
3. search for the following keys and change them to fit my proposal
  1. [1024x768 (8x16)]
    maximized=1 ; This will set TC to maximized mode in resolution 1024x768 which you are using apparently
  2. [Configuration]
    RestrictInterface=1 ; this prevents that the starter menu will be displayed even with the empty menu file
    Mainmenu=Wcmd_zero.mnu ; this tells TC to use the empty menu instead of the default one
Now run TC as described above with this new 'fullscreen.ini'.
Sorry if this message seems disjointed.
For me it's perfectly logical. Don't hesitate to ask once again if there still gets something wrong.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Derek Cornish

Post by *Derek Cornish »

Sheepdog and KevinMo:

"Ah!" he says, striking his forehead...

Thank you, both. Now I understand. I'll try this out when I get up tomorrow, and let you know how I get on. It's late here in Kansas :-).

Derek
Derek Cornish

Post by *Derek Cornish »

Thanks for explaining things, Sheepdog. And thanks to you and KevinMo for your advice about activating the plugins.

I pasted details from the wincmd.ini file into Fullscreen.ini for the time being. Once I have used it for a while and checked out which plugins I want to keep using, I'll do something along the lines you suggested, Sheepdog.

Incidentally, this was a good excuse to update my plugins - and clear out a few, too :-)

All the best,

Derek
MPS

Post by *MPS »

why bother with quickview? irfanview works perfectly :]
Derek Cornish

Post by *Derek Cornish »

> why bother with quickview? irfanview works perfectly :]

Yes, Irfanview is great, but it doesn't solve my problem, which is using TC's "quick view" at fullscreen to enable me to scroll through directories containing a mixture of file types.

Now I can do that, thanks to everyone here :-).

Derek
MPS

Post by *MPS »

right, i missed that "htm pdf" part from the original post.

anyway, go IrfanView! ;)