Request: Open FTP in INactive panel

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

lebans

Request: Open FTP in INactive panel

Post by *lebans »

Hello,

Every time I'm busy in a directory and decide to make connection to a ftp server to download a file, that I like to have in that dir. First I have to activate the inactive panel before I can make contact. Why not a fourth option "open in INactive panel" to FTP options. Sometime I forget to select the inactive panel, then the connection is made in the active panel and then I have to search for the dir I was working in in the inactive panel.
I like to see a fourth option in future version, if that is possible.
Last edited by lebans on 2006-02-03, 10:58 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings,
Rob
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

I have to search for the dir I was working in
Use Alt-Left (go back in history), Ctrl-Left(or Right, activate the same dir in the other panel), Alt-Right (go forward in history).
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sounds like a good idea, and quite easy to add. I will therefore consider it for TC 7.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
lebans

Post by *lebans »

SanskritFritz wrote:
I have to search for the dir I was working in
Use Alt-Left (go back in history), Ctrl-Left(or Right, activate the same dir in the other panel), Alt-Right (go forward in history).
I'm sorry, I'm very lazy ;-) . It seems so logical to me that there could be a extra option for this.

Mr. Ghisler, thanks for that quick response. If you could manage that, it would be great. Good luck with building number Seven.
Greetings,
Rob
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Would it be possible, to add this option to the Ctrl-N dialog, too?

Scenario:
I want to download a file with TC, so I copy a link from Firefox, press Ctrl-N, Ctrl-V, Enter. But sometimes it happens, that the link is a ftp link (not http), so the file isn't downloaded but the FTP dir opened in the panel where I wanted to download the file into. :(

BTW: Why isn't a file downloaded directly when on FTP, but a connection is opened instead?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why isn't a file downloaded directly when on FTP, but a connection is opened instead?
Because Ctrl+N is mainly meant for FTP connections, not for downloads - that was added later. Unfortunately it's not possible to find out without connecting whether an URL points to a file or a directory. I'm considering a checkbox "direct download", though. Currently you have to open the background transfer manager and click on the "+" button to make a direct ftp download.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
Unfortunately it's not possible to find out without connecting whether an URL points to a file or a directory.
Thanks for the explanation.
I'm considering a checkbox "direct download", though.
Thanks. What about the "open in other panel" checkbox? I could leave that checked by default and don't worry if it is a http or ftp file, it wouldn't change the path in the active panel.
Currently you have to open the background transfer manager and click on the "+" button to make a direct ftp download.
Yes, I even made a short AHK script for that. ;)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

What about the "open in other panel" checkbox?
Currently this isn't planned - I don't want to clutter the dialog with dozens of options. Why not press TAB before opening the function? It's certainly faster than checking such an option...
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
Why not press TAB before opening the function? It's certainly faster than checking such an option...
Well, the option would be "sticky", ie it would remain selected between sessions (just like MD5).

The scenario is this - I want to download a file from a webpage with TC (so that I can close my browser). I copy the link location, Alt-Tab to TC (where my "Downloads" dir is opened), Ctrl-N, Ctrl-V, Enter.

But sometimes it happens, that I don't notice the link being FTP instead of HTTP, so instead of downloading the file it opens a connection in my "Downloads" dir. Now I have to either play with the tabs to get the FTP on one side and "Downloads" on another, or use the mouse, or fiddle with dir history, or cancel the connection, press tab and open the connection there, or open BTM... you get the idea.

If there was a checkbox in the Ctrl-N dialog, then I would have no problem. If the file was HTTP, the file would be downloaded normally. If, by accident, the file was FTP, the connection would open in the other panel and I could directly download to my "Downloads" dir.

In other words, the directory in the current panel wouldn't be changed, if the link is FTP instead of HTTP by mistake.

Roman