Change show types automatically

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lupin

Change show types automatically

Post by *Lupin »

I put different types of files in different folders.
e.g.:Music files such as ape,mp3,wma are stored at e:\music, Picture, E:\pic.
Is it possible that when TotalCMD enter e:\music it would change to music columns show automaticaly, correspondingly, e:\pic, picture columns show?

Sorry for my poor English.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Lupin

Post by *Lupin »

Brilliant, but a bit difficult for me.
THX.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Great!
Well, I think it's high time to start using AHK.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

With any AHK workaround we must deal with the fact that it is another program running along with TC which is good as workaround but not good as a general solution.

TC should really be able to allow users to remember settings for folders they choose, this is phundamental.
Habemus majkam!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

In about two years TC will have been replaced by a single AHK script.

Resistance is futile! The end of TC is near.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

majkinetor ! wrote:With any AHK workaround we must deal with the fact that it is another program running along with TC which is good as workaround but not good as a general solution.
Strangely enough I have to agree with Majki heh.

Everytime a workaround is created - the fact that a workaround is even required seems to be moot. Instead of considering it as something to be fixed - theres a workaround - so why worry...seems like an odd idealogy.
frenky

Post by *frenky »

IMHO, AHK is not so good solution...
That is one more language to learn. Internal macro language based on already available scripting languages like Java, Basic or Python should be made available in e.g. TC 8. TC has to become more configurable to fight whatever M$ releases.
I think that Majki and Balderstrom are right on this issue.

2SanskritFritz I bet that if someone is to look at the AHK workarrounds list you have it would be hard to get the grasp what what will happen if one presses e.g. F5, or God forbit some other key (any key excluded :D) .
If you pile up enough of those "workarounds" at some point you will lose track what one does and you'll have system working something you realy do not want it to do.
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

I think that TC badly needs some proved scripting solution, like JavaScript or VBScript (I prefer the first one). I know there is one plugin there which I didn't use so much, I saw couple of examples.... And from what I have seen it is far from what we could get if it was implemented internaly. AHK script is good, I now use it all the time, but "user-simulation-scripting-languages" like AHK are not perfect becuase they can sometimes drop some commands... I have seen that on too many similar solutions: ScriptIt, Phantom, AHK, SendKeys.... (AHK to have much less problems then the others).

It is maybe good time to state again that File Manager is the most basic stuff for computer. U can live without editors, browsers and other but without file manager you have nothing. So this peace of code should be as quick as posible (now OK), as small as posible (OK), as configurable AP
(BAD), as extensible AP (VERY GOOD) and finally as localised AP (BAD).

You can't really expect from us to learn some special language like AHK just to highliht the tabs... Don't get me wrong, I salut all the efforts and God knows that if you have learned "various workarond techniques" you move toward power OS user since almost every program needs extra tweeking from time to time.... But those programs are not file managers and in this case we get some paradoxal situations: Fast TC is started/changed/improved by slow AHK script (comapring to speed of such things if done internaly).... "seems like an odd idealogy"

... and the worst thing is that I know that I am waisting my time now !
As long as there are private gabblings, language separation and Ghisler responding during national holideys nothing will change. I stated too many times this: Ghisler crated base of TC but now he can't manage it alone. There are various solutions to this ugly problem but as we know, we are not dealing here with rational people.
Balderstrom wrote:Strangely enough I have to agree with Majki heh.
:roll:
Habemus majkam!
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2majkinetor !
I think that TC badly needs some proved scripting solution, like JavaScript or VBScript
I agree: http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=58553#58553
frenky

Post by *frenky »

2SanskritFritz
Nice percentage is in favor... Almost 90% :!: :!:
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Nice percentage i
Well, it can be 99,999% in favor....

This is the rare case when 0.001% = Ghisler > 99.999%
Habemus majkam!
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

AHK script is good, I now use it all the time, but "user-simulation-scripting-languages" like AHK are not perfect becuase they can sometimes drop some commands...
You are right, if the scripts are only simulating keystrokes which depends on the focus. However, AHK is capable to 1. send messages which is practically failproof, and 2. send keystrokes directly to a control which is not depending on the focus. This is well demonstrated in this thread:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=78913#78913
where I was reluctant to write the script which finds the file from Locate, but then we found a solution capable to do the job reliably.
Then again, of course, having TC's API as a COM model would be THE SOLUTION.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

having TC's API as a COM model would be THE SOLUTION
Exactly!!!! Everyone wins. Mr. Ghisler avoids implementing "everything" we request and we get the means to implement "everything" we request.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric