[REQ] Annoucements and actions

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

[REQ] Annoucements and actions

Post by *majkinetor ! »

It would be very cool if TC was able to announce some things via Windows Messages or any similar mechanism.

For instance when file is selected TC_OBJSELECTED can be broadcasted
Vice-versa, action can be done when other application send message to TC, like TC_SELECT with some argumets to select some objects.

Messages like this one and several others that will represent sorting, panel switching, etc.. would be great help to automate TC via 3th party tools (or AHK).

This may be easier to implement then Scripting (javascript, vb...) while it can improve TC automatition a lot. Of course scripting is much better solution but I doubt it will be implemented.

In excellent Charlie Calvert's Delphi 4 Unleashed book this Delphi guru stated that programs without support for automatition can never be good enough, since it is like you have space ship and being unable to drive it.
Habemus majkam!
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

As you already know script helper can help to perform WSH scripting in TC. Do we really need this Windows Messages broadcasting?
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

yes we do.

I think script helper can't support all that I mention.
Habemus majkam!
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [REQ] Annoucements and actions

Post by *Sheepdog »

majkinetor ! wrote:It would be very cool if TC was able to announce some things via Windows Messages or any similar mechanism.

For instance when file is selected TC_OBJSELECTED can be broadcasted
Vice-versa, action can be done when other application send message to TC, like TC_SELECT with some argumets to select some objects.
I'm not really sure that I like this idea. Sounds like a potential security hole to me where some malware can easily take remote control over TC. Reminds me on the way the CCC used the IE to remote control that PC.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Sounds like a potential security hole
OK, it sounds dangeriosly, but just theoretically. Harmful fnctions doesn't need to be interfaced and if someone wnts to be malitious it can do it now, it would be just a little easier for the attacker if there is an interface.

You say that COM or javascript interface is different comapring to security ? That is the price of automatition.
Habemus majkam!
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

majkinetor ! wrote:You say that COM or javascript interface is different comapring to security ?
I don't know about COM, but Javascript is disabled here by default.

That is the price of automatition.
That I'm not willing to pay.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

JavaScript disabled ?!
That is too paranoic for me...

Also, almost all automatable programs have option to allow or forbid this....
Habemus majkam!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Opera without JaveScript is not imaginable for me. User-JavaScript is just too cool. ;)

I like your proposal, would mean a fantastic enhancement for external scripting.

Besides that I disagree on your believe that internal scripting will not be implemented. There will be a time when he will ask himself: What now? And after looking at the file manager scene at that moment he will know what to do next.

Icfu
This account is for sale