[REQ] Video thumbnails 5secs into video

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

torhu

[REQ] Video thumbnails 5secs into video

Post by *torhu »

In the thumbnail view, it seems to me that the first frame of the videos is shown. I think video thumbnails would be more useful if the thumbnail was taken from a bit further into the video. I think ACDSee uses the frame 5 seconds into the video. That way, you would get past the black frames or fade-ins that many videos start with.

Of course, I don't know whether this is technically easy to do, if TC uses the thumbnails it gets from Irfanview or something.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

TC doesn't create these thumbnails. It either gets them from a Lister plugin, Explorer, or Irfan-/XnView, whichever you have configured for video files in Configuration - Options - Thumbnails.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
torhu

Post by *torhu »

Thanks for clearing that up. Any ideas how I could make this happen? Irfanview doesn't show thumbnails for most videos, and ACDSee 5 hogs the cpu when there are too many files. So it would be nice to be able to use TC for video stuff.
Clo

The 1 st. good frame---

Post by *Clo »

2torhu

:) Hello !

- XnView can display some video thumb-nails and to get that, it catches the n …th. frame, not the first which is full black the most times…

- However, this is not quite perfect, because there is no option yet to set the n …th. visible and useful frame for the thumb-nail.
- But it's worth a try…

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

XnView doesn't extract any video data in TC here, it only works inside of XnView. Am I overlooking something?

This one works, with WhereIsIt plugin, but it's also limited to the first frame I think:
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/FileThumbs.html

@torhu, use this one:
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/mediashow.html

It extracts the first frame only if it's not black and otherwise chooses a frame in the middle of the vid, maybe it's also dependant on which codec has been used.

Icfu
This account is for sale
torhu

Post by *torhu »

icfu wrote:@torhu, use this one:

It extracts the first frame only if it's not black and otherwise chooses a frame in the middle of the vid, maybe it's also dependant on which codec has been used.
Seems to work like you described. Definite improvement. :)
gbo

Post by *gbo »

I use a shareware to extract thumbnails from videos, the only limitation is a watermark (Frame Shot Demo) in the generated thumbnail (it does not bother me).

FrameShots Video Frame Capture

It can be used in conjonction with lst2run to allow generate frame(s) for all highlighted videos.

Create a button and add this settings if you want to test it.
Command : "[PATH]\lst2run\lst2run.exe"
Parameters : -s "-thumbs 10 -height 500 -width 500 -skipfront 500 \"#p\#f.#e\" \"#p\"" -e "[PATH]\FrameShots\FrameShots.exe" -l %L
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
torhu

Post by *torhu »

torhu wrote:
icfu wrote:@torhu, use this one:

Seems to work like you described. Definite improvement. :)
Seems that MediaShow screws up F3 and quick preview for many file types, including exe and tga. Any idea how to avoid that? I really just want mediashow to generate thumbnails, not to interfer with preview.

gbo's solution seems a little to complicated at the moment.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

No such problems here with EXE and no idea about TGA, I don't see what MediaShow has to do with them. The filetypes handled by MediaShow you can see and uncheck in the MediaShow settings, otherwise change priority of MediaShow in lister plugins list, maybe some other plugin interferes.

You can also exclude filetypes in wincmd.ini, locate the entry for plugin MediaShow, then change its line from
X_detect=MULTIMEDIA
to
X_detect=MULTIMEDIA & (ext!="EXE" & ext!="TGA")

but I doubt that it has any effect...

Icfu
This account is for sale
torhu

Post by *torhu »

icfu wrote:otherwise change priority of MediaShow in lister plugins list, maybe some other plugin interferes.
I don't have any other plugins installed, if Irfanview doesn't count as a plugin.
icfu wrote:You can also exclude filetypes in wincmd.ini, locate the entry for plugin MediaShow, then change its line from
X_detect=MULTIMEDIA
to
X_detect=MULTIMEDIA & (ext!="EXE" & ext!="TGA")

but I doubt that it has any effect...
It works! For some reason, MediaShow doesn't start when I press F3 on any kind of media file anymore (nor .exe or .tga). But that's ok, I don't want it anyway. And I prefer to be able to use the binary viewer.

I can't see any mention of .tga or .exe in wincmd.ini or MediaShow.ini. I've had the wincmd.ini file for years, across several Windows reinstalls, so maybe it's screwed somehow. Or maybe it's caused by a bug in MediaShow 0.9.1.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I don't have any other plugins installed, if Irfanview doesn't count as a plugin.
IrfanView counts for the Multimedia view at least and it can view TGA. MediaShow inspects the headers of the files, so maybe the "EXE" and "TGA" files you have checked are in fact video files?
For some reason, MediaShow doesn't start when I press F3 on any kind of media file anymore (nor .exe or .tga). But that's ok, I don't want it anyway.
Press "4" to switch to Multimedia view and to switch between different plugins or activate "Load bitmaps as graphics on startup" in lister configuration.
I can't see any mention of .tga or .exe in wincmd.ini or MediaShow.ini. I've had the wincmd.ini file for years, across several Windows reinstalls, so maybe it's screwed somehow. Or maybe it's caused by a bug in MediaShow 0.9.1.
If you want to find out you need to test that yourself, use totalcmd.exe /i switch to load another wincmd.ini or just delete it to have a fresh start.

If you find out more, drop the infos here. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
torhu

Post by *torhu »

I had to exclude rar files too, in addition to exe and tga. And yes, the files I tested with are the correct types, not multimedia files in disguise (.tga files are used by quake3, in case anyone wondered why I have them).

I'll get back to you if I check this out further, or run into more problems.

EDIT:
Seems that MediaShow starts on many, maybe all file types that are not excluded under [ListerPlugins] in wincmd.ini. In quick view, the mediashow player is started, but there's obviously nothing it can play. With F3, mediashow loads (I see the mediashow systray icon for an instant), but then binary display is used anyway. So it seems that mediashow is loaded by default. Except for some file types, like .jpg.

EDIT 2:
I've uploaded my wincmd.ini, in case that helps you figuring it out.
http://folk.uio.no/torhu/wincmd.ini.txt
torhu

Post by *torhu »

Well, I have given up on this and gone back to using ACDSee for this. Mostly because loading the thumbnails is too slow in TC, even if they're already cached and has been shown just a second ago. If you change directories back and forth or something, it takes too long to reload the thumbnails.