same directory name in each view but on separate drives

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Matrix

same directory name in each view but on separate drives

Post by *Matrix »

I work on a network that has job numbers say 1 to 100 as directories on two separate drives.

If you are in one particular directory on one drive, is there a way to make the other screen view the same job number but on the other drive.

Eg the left view is g:\123\ is there a way to make the right view h:\123\

Thanks

Oh, obviously via shortcut button or similar
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

you can assign the internal command cm_SyncChangeDir to a button bar or assign a hotkey for it
Matrix

Post by *Matrix »

ts4242 wrote:you can assign the internal command cm_SyncChangeDir to a button bar or assign a hotkey for it
This wont work because the two directories which have the same name are on completly differnt hard drives. hence g: and h:, thank you though. Unless you can some how extract the directory name and assign it to a differnt drive letter I cant see how this will work
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2>Matrix
It will work because when you execute cm_SyncChangeDir, the two panels will be synchronized as far as the folder you open has the same name in both panel regardless of the drive name or even the parent folder(s)

try the following
doublicate folder (has some subfolder) one on C:\ and the second on D:\ and let left panel show the folder on C and the right panel show the other on D and execute cm_SyncChangeDir then start navigate

Note you will have to execute cm_SyncChangeDir again if you reach to sync break point
Matrix

Post by *Matrix »

OK you win, I feel very foolish about now. I think I have come accross this command before but have not put 2 and 2 together. I really appreciate your help, this is fantastic and has help me greatly.

Now i just need to make a hot key that forces the other plan to be the opposite drive to where I am and then implement the cm_SyncChangeDir command. This will be fine.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Matrix wrote:Now i just need to make a hot key that forces the other plan to be the opposite drive to where I am and then implement the cm_SyncChangeDir command. This will be fine.
Configuration->Options->Misc: Redefine Hotkeys (Keyboard remapping).

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams