WCX: Blat Mailer plugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

WCX: Blat Mailer plugin

Post by *tbeu »

Ever tried Blat :?:

Blat Mailer plugin 1.3.0.1 launched!

Using the Blat Mailer plugin you can easily send email with attachments using the SMTP protocol.

Image: http://tbeu.totalcmd.net/blat/1.2.14.0/wcx_blat_1.2.14.0.png
Last edited by tbeu on 2012-06-12, 13:27 UTC, edited 20 times in total.
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Of course I have tried Blat. It's a very cool plugin ( just that part I always missed at Pop3 Plugin of André Martin).

Just one thing that'a a bit disturbing: The progress bar does not work. And since it takes a certain amount of time to send an attachement it could confusing someone and and let assume him that the plugin freezes.

But thanks for the nice work.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

Sheepdog wrote:Just one thing that'a a bit disturbing: The progress bar does not work.
Since all the work is done by a single call to blat.dll->Send() I have no chance to display the progress of sending the attachments. It makes no sense to send one mail per attachment just to see a correctly working progress bar... Sorry.

tbeu
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

I think it could be really confusing to see a few minutes a progress bar staying at 0% and then disappearing.

So can't you avoid the display of the progressbar at all?

Or give a message in the progress bar 'For technical reasons the progress bar will stay at 0% till the message and all attachements heve been sent. This may take some time according to the size of the attachements' or anything.

I bet this could save you lots of support mails.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
rolandd

Post by *rolandd »

2tbeu
As posted on totalcmd.net the request for sending it as an attachment works awesome. Now I can also send files other than textfiles. Good job.

Peter (?) suggested to add a function to store e-mail addresses. In my opinion it would be nice if you could use the users addressbook to retrieve the addresses.

Further my request for internationalization stands. As most plugins are translatable and are being translated I think it would be good to follow this.

If we cannot see the progressbar move, can it be removed/hidden? As Sheepdog said, show a message instead.

Regards,

RolandD
Registered user #92105
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

The progress bar would either display 0% or 100% in case of sending. AFAIK there is no way to hide the bar. But I will add a limitation to the Readme file.

2RolandD
Which address book is the one to be used? From Outlook Express (wab.exe), Outlook, Thunderbird...? I think ist es easier to implement a list of the most recently used addresses.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

What about using/parsing/importing a csv file? It can be easily created using any email client.

Icfu
This account is for sale
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

tbeu, how this blat is related to console e-mail client with the same name ? Did you used it's source ?

EDIT: nevermind I do the readme

NOTE: I was earlier using this batch to send my IP to mail:

Code: Select all

ipconfig | findstr /R "IP.*82" | sed -e "s/\. //g"  -e "s/^[ ]*//" >out
set /P ANS=<out
blat out -to xx@xxx.xx -subject "%ANS%"
...but I noticed that delivery is very slow. It sometimes took more then minute to send this simple e-mail. Did anybody notice this behavior ? I have 15K per sec internet.
Habemus majkam!
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

The next version of the plugin will use a recompiled and slightly adapted blat.dll showing the progress of attching files.
rolandd

Post by *rolandd »

Good job :)
Registered user #92105
kajoj1

Post by *kajoj1 »

@tbeu
The next version of the plugin will use a recompiled and slightly adapted blat.dll showing the progress of attching files.
It is possible to recompile blat.dll and blat.wcx that TC will show progress of sending files not attaching?

Other thing is that during sending files (after attching) TC freezes and Cancel button doesn't work.

But generally plugin is good :)
MayorA

Post by *MayorA »

Hi Thomas

A nice plugin I will use on a daily basis (to backup important files on gmail).
It would however be nice, if you could add an option which would automatically add the file name of the (first) attachment file to the subject.

Perhaps you could even allow formatted expression (as used for [face=courier]printf()[/face]), e.g.:
"Backup of %A0 and %A1"
(where %A0 and %A1 would stand for the file names of the first two attachments ...)

:roll:

really a nice job ... thanks
CVSBrowser WFX Plugin Author
WatchUer

Post by *WatchUer »

Feature request:
Please add shortcut key to the input box, I mean add "&" to the caption of input box, for example: change the caption Password to Pass&word, then I can use Alt + w to quickly jump to the password input box.

Thx
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

2kajoj1
In general everything is possible :!: In version 1.1.2.0 the TC progress bar function is called from within blat.dll when looping over all attachments (file attach.cpp -> getAttachmentInfo()). At time of bytewise sending (file server.cpp -> transform_and_send_edit_data()) I do no longer know the attachments as the mail is already encoded. If you have a better idea let me know...

2Alexandre
If blat.ini does not contain subject key and if you do not open the configuration dialog when sending / packing the file name from the TC pack files dialog will be chosen as subject.
I never know which file comes first or second in the list of selected files. It seems that TC arbitrarily passes the file names to the plugin.

2WatchUser
You request seems fairly simple to implement...

tbeu
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Blat Mailer plugin 1.2.0.0 launched

Post by *tbeu »

The latest version (1.2.0.0) implements most of the requests arisen from this thread.

2kajoj1
Your request has been implemented. Progress bar of TC is now refreshed when sending files instead of attaching files.

2rolandd
Latest version of plugin is ready for localization. Translations are welcome.

2WatchUser
Your request has been implemented. Configuration dialog can be used with keyboard shortcuts (ALT+).

Happy mailing!