Can Not Access Shared Network Folders or Files

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AlecRoth

Can Not Access Shared Network Folders or Files

Post by *AlecRoth »

When I move a folder with all its subfolders and files from an unshared directory to a shared directory folder, the files and folders are not available over the network.

When I try to access files or folders in this moved directory from another computer across my local network, I don't get an error message. I simply hear an error noise and the screen appears to blink very briefly (like something has happened too quickly to see).

For example: on computer A, I move the contents of "C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Application Data\Netscape\" to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\NetscapeShared\"; on computer B, I try to read the contents of "\\ComputerA\Documents\NetscapeShared\", but I can't. Actually, I can access the first level of files, but any files in subfolders of NetscapeShared can not be read. I can traverse the directory tree to a point, but not drill all the way down.

However, if I simply move the problem directory anywhere using another file management program (such as Windows Explorere of VCOM PowerDesk), and move it back to where it was, I can now access everything in it. If do the same with Total Commander, the problem is not resolved.

Base on a post elshwhere, I have tried the following:
* Installed Update for Windows XP (KB896427) available via http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=896427
* Unset (set to 0) registry entry Win95TruncatedExtensions (via HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem)
* Unset (set to 0) registry entry NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation (via HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem)

After each of the above I rebooted and moved the folders around with TC. The problem remained.

I am using Windows XP Home SP2 and Total Commander 6.54 on both machines.