[REQ] cm_Copy(Full)NamesToClip on [..] dir item.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

2Flint
flint wrote:One of the most common operations is changing directory in some other program (for example, another instance of TC) to the directory currently opened in the active panel.
Thats why I made FavMenu.
Tell me, what is your usual scenario when transfering folder names ? What applications are in question beside TC.

I ask because I will probably add configurable window detection to be able to set the windows u want to use with FavMenu and how folder text should be transfered (with optional prefix/sufix and saving the clipboard). So I want to know what habits people have in that manner.
Habemus majkam!
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

majkinetor !
Tell me, what is your usual scenario when transfering folder names ?
The most common scenario when I needed such a command is: in some program (Opera, IE, text editor, ...) I need to open or save some file from/to the same folder that I have currently opened in one of the panels in TC. I switch to TC, press Ctrl+Alt+C (binded for cm_CopyFullNamesToClip), switch back to the Open/Save dialog, press Ctrl+V in the file path field, delete the name of the last file/folder copied (this step is what I wanted to eliminate with my suggestion from the first post), and press Enter - this brings me to the folder opened in TC. Then I just select the file I want to open/save (or write its name directly).
The folder can be absolutely arbitrary, not necessarily one of my Favourite folders. Moreover, it's almost always not one of my Favourite folders. That's why I didn't even think about FavMenu.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Flint,
Perhaps you would find

Code: Select all

cm_CopySrcPathToClip=2029;Copy source path to clipboard
useful.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Hacker
You're a bit late, pdavit has already pointed to this command. And I explained, why this still looks inconvenient for me:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=68763#68763
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Ah, OK, didn't check, sorry. :)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
jb

Re: [REQ] cm_Copy(Full)NamesToClip on [..] dir item.

Post by *jb »

Flint wrote:My suggection is: to make it possible to use cm_Copy(Full)NamesToClip command on the [..] entry so that it copied the name of the parent folder.
From other statements in his thread I conclude that Flint actually meant:
cm_Copy(Full)NamesToClip applied to the [..] entry should copy the name of the current folder.
(The full name of the current folder is displayed as title of the active panel.)
I use cm_CopyFullNamesToClip very frequently and cm_CopyNetNamesToClip/cm_CopyNamesToClip occasionally. So for me the suggestion was tempting but it is contradictory because it implies that the [..] entry (parent directory) represents the current directory!

By the way:
In Total Commander V6.54a the operations on the [..] entry are very restricted (maybe more than desirable) and also somewhat inconsistent. That is more exactly:
TC allows only to set the focus on it, but not to select it.
Most commands applied to [..] lead to the message "No files selected!",
some are just ignored silently (e.g. cm_CopyToClipboard), and
some behave specially (e.g. cm_RenameOnly applied to [..] behaves like cm_editpath).

The last example is interesting because it has somewhat of the "spirit" of Flint's suggestion.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

jb
I conclude that Flint actually meant:
cm_Copy(Full)NamesToClip applied to the [..] entry should copy the name of the current folder.
Of course, you are right. :) I meant parent folder for each of the folders displayed in the panel, that's why I wrote "parent". I've corrected the first post now.

jb

Post by *jb »

Flint wrote:I meant parent folder for each of the folders displayed in the panel, that's why I wrote "parent". I've corrected the first post now.
Mainly I objected that there is an inconsistency in the corrected version of your suggestion. What do you think about it?
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

jb
Mainly I objected that there is an inconsistency in the corrected version of your suggestion. What do you think about it?
As you wrote, there are already such decisions that are "inconsistent" and present only for convenience. cm_Copy(Full)NamesToClip for the [..] item would be just one of them. I can add to your example such functions as Alt+Enter/Alt+Shift+Enter with opened FTP connection; or Ctrl+T that opens Multi-Rename tool when folder tabs are turned off...

TealC

Post by *TealC »

Flint wrote:Moreover, it's almost always not one of my Favourite folders. That's why I didn't even think about FavMenu.
favmenu displays the paths of the 2 visible tabs (source and target) as the first 2 menu entries. so if you are in the questionable folder with tc anyway, favmenu can do the job...
jb

Post by *jb »

Flint wrote:As you wrote, there are already such decisions that are "inconsistent" and present only for convenience. cm_Copy(Full)NamesToClip for the [..] item would be just one of them. I can add to your example such functions as Alt+Enter/Alt+Shift+Enter with opened FTP connection; or Ctrl+T that opens Multi-Rename tool when folder tabs are turned off...
I wrote about how commands are applied to the selection/focus.
You write about default shortcut keys for commands.
In my opinion these things are quite different and should not mixed up. The former is more important than the latter and the former is not configurable while the latter is (usually).

Furthermore I think it is not a good idea to use one inconsistency as an excuse for the introduction of an additional inconsistency. Rather the trend should be to remove as much existing inconsistencies as possible.
Also I do not agree that all existing inconsistencies are present for real convenience. The cm_RenameOnly anomaly for example (described some posts above) does hardly increase the convenience.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

TealC
favmenu displays the paths of the 2 visible tabs (source and target) as the first 2 menu entries.
Thanks, I didn't know about that. (BTW, that's why good descriptions are needed! On the totalcmd.net page the description tells only about TC Favourites...)
I'll try this tool then.

jb
You write about default shortcut keys for commands.
I wrote about inconsistencies in general; I took hotkeys as examples because I could easily look for them, and because I didn't want to spend time thinking what are other inconsistencies. That's the only reason.

But you are not completely right. Alt+Enter in FTP works as the command. So, if I select cm_VersionInfo in FTP panel (e.g. from menu), I get the listing of FTP server output. So, it's the part of cm_VersionInfo command, not of Alt+Enter hotkey itself!
Furthermore I think it is not a good idea to use one inconsistency as an excuse for the introduction of an additional inconsistency. Rather the trend should be to remove as much existing inconsistencies as possible.
I would agree if there were some other way of doing the same thing. I don't see it. Using external tools/scripts is not a good idea, if something can be so easily performed by TC itself...
Also I do not agree that all existing inconsistencies are present for real convenience. The cm_RenameOnly anomaly for example (described some posts above) does hardly increase the convenience.
Tastes differ. If this was added, it means that somebody (and hardly only 1 man) had found that convenient. And my suggestion is also convenient (at least, personally for me).

majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

2Flint
The folder can be absolutely arbitrary, not necessarily one of my Favourite folders. Moreover, it's almost always not one of my Favourite folders. That's why I didn't even think about FavMenu.
Thats why I made first 2 folders in the FavMenu to be the currently open folders in the TC.

So, your scneraio could be like this:
I switch to TC, press Ctrl+Alt+C (binded for cm_CopyFullNamesToClip), switch back to the Open/Save dialog, press Ctrl+V in the file path field, delete the name of the last file/folder copied (this step is what I wanted to eliminate with my suggestion from the first post), and press Enter - this brings me to the folder opened in TC. Then I just select the file I want to open/save (or write its name directly).
F1. I switch to TC, press Ctrl+Alt+C (binded for cm_CopyFullNamesToClip), switch back to the Open/Save dialog press Ctrl+V in the file path field, delete the name of the last file/folder copied and Press ENTER
=
M1. `1

(hotkey for favmenu on my machine is `)

PS: Check TCFavMenu screenshot. I didn't left TC there for no reason. You can see that first 2 enteries are the same as currently open folders in TC.

PS2: I may soon add other interesting things like, history menu, active folders in all tabs... etc. Currently this is what you will need the most

PS3. If you do with your folder a lot, you can still add it temporary at the end of the fav list so to avoid making it active folder in TC every time. (TC doesn't even have to be open).
Habemus majkam!
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

majkinetor !
Thats why I made first 2 folders in the FavMenu to be the currently open folders in the TC.
Of course, now I see.
PS: Check TCFavMenu screenshot.
I looked at it, but didn't mention these 2 paths. :)
PS3. If you do with your folder a lot, you can still add it temporary at the end of the fav list so to avoid making it active folder in TC every time. (TC doesn't even have to be open).
I have TC always opened, so there is no need in such a scenario for me. :) However, thanks for the information. I have a suggestion about FavMenu, but it's in the corresponding thread...

jb

Post by *jb »

Flint wrote:And my suggestion is also convenient (at least, personally for me).
I admit your suggestion is convenient, although inconsistent.
Sven Ritter's SpeedCommander 11 already works as you suggest.
Also cm_TransferRight (Ctrl+RIGHT) and cm_TransferRight (Ctrl+LEFT) behave as if [..] represented the current directory and it feels right.

A non-script alternative is:
1. cm_editpath (I assigned LEFT to it)
2. Ctrl+C
3. Esc

BTW: Only now I realize that you are the author of the LinkInfo plug-in which I use occasionally. :D