May I know how to select multiple files with mouse only?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Campion

May I know how to select multiple files with mouse only?

Post by *Campion »

Hello! Thank you very much for this amazing piece of software. I learnt about this from the GoogleSystem Blog.

I have configured the interface to the way I like, and am actively shifting from Explorer to TotalCommander.
One thing thou I failed to figure out, is that I cannot select multiple files with mouse ONLY - which I am used to do in Windows Explorer.

And, is there a way to lock the tree view of the left pane? I would be more used to manage files with a fixed tree view on the left, without it changing between different viewing styles
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

1. Goto options->Operations->Mouse selection mode & select there Use right mouse button. Now you'll be able to select files with it (not with left MB). To access context menu use either Context menu button, or Shift+F9, or Shift+F10, or use long right mouse button click.

2. Forget about managing your files with the tree. TC is made specially for use of TWO panels. However, you can still press Ctrl+F8.

3. All this is explained in help.
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

Welcome to the elegant world of TC, Campion .. :)

XPEHOPE3KA explained this excellent already, and I agree about using the tree. Only the 'long' view offers all the data about the files themselves. The more info, the more control. And if you want a fixed tree view anyway, TC remembers the last state it was in at closing, so the next time the tree view will show again.

I could add to the right button selection idea, that, if you need to select a large group of files of a verticl order in the list, but want to exclude 1 or 2 files inside that range from selection, you could slide the right click over the total group, then do a second right click on the unwanted files to disable the selection of those files in the group.

As you are 'shifting from Explorer to TotalCommander', let me remind, that this is not simply a matter of getting used to a 'better alternative'. As XPEHOPE3KA emphasised, TC is a double pane concept. This implicates not only a change of control, but a change of a way of thinking as well :
The source-destination situation. A direct view that a filecopy to another location has been succesfull.
A custom environment to work with, instead of something, somebody else thought was good for you.

3. Forget also about the dominant use of the mouse for your actions and commands. TC has a very clever set of keyboard shortcuts to do things very efficiently. For most circumstances I recommend the combined use of KB and mouse to perform a string of commands in the most simple and faster way.