Display volume label alongside of volume letter on the buttn

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

asmodeus

Display volume label alongside of volume letter on the buttn

Post by *asmodeus »

Title is not very clear (I think) so I made a little illustration:

Image: http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4980/iwantitsobad.png

I want all drive buttons to look like that c: - or in some similar way, showing the volume label right there. Tooltip is just too slow and it's not very handy when there's a lot of drives.

Please help :)
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

If you enable, cm_VisDriveButtons and cm_VisDriveCombo, that is what currently happens - of course it doesn't look as nice as yours... its pretty much exactly that without the border around each drive.

Oh You mean you want the DriveLabel to appear inside each icon? That would take up a lot of space wouldn't it?
Whereas the cm_VisDriveCombo shows the DriveLabel...
asmodeus

Post by *asmodeus »

Balderstrom wrote:If you enable, cm_VisDriveButtons and cm_VisDriveCombo, that is what currently happens - of course it doesn't look as nice as yours... its pretty much exactly that without the border around each drive.

Oh You mean you want the DriveLabel to appear inside each icon? That would take up a lot of space wouldn't it?
Whereas the cm_VisDriveCombo shows the DriveLabel...
Those two parameters always enabled in my TCs. That's not it. I want volume labels to appear on each button at all times. Or somewhere on the screen so I can see what volume is what. I don't care about space :)
Clo

Workaround…

Post by *Clo »

:arrow: asmodeus

:) Hello !

• The only workaround I could suggest to you is to create a button-bar (called from the usual upper bar) with the commands :
cm_GotoDriveA or 2061

up to

cm_GotoDriveZ or 2086
- So, with appropriate icons (specially drawn for, I could do this), you can get both the drive letter and a label…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2009-07-17, 04:33 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Interesting Idea there Clo, the only issue I see with that - is something I've been running into very recently, where I want to use different sized icons for menu's I've set to open a subBar as a menu. And from what I can tell (as of yet) You can't set a different Icon size for alternate menu's or SubBar menu's - they use a global size value...
That would make the custom IconBar for Drives quite big overall.
Clo

Label below…

Post by *Clo »

2Balderstrom

…That would make the custom IconBar for Drives quite big overall.
• Not so large whether the label is shown below the drive letter pattern ;)
- I know, that isn't exactly the asmodeus' wish, but it seems usable and convenient…
- So, classic sized icons i.e. 32² could be sufficient.
- Just a quickly-made crappy EXAMPLE
- Unfortunately, TC doesn't support any shape of icon (rectangular, like f.i. in Universal Viewer),
hence the original request can't be satisfied totally…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
asmodeus

Re: Workaround…

Post by *asmodeus »

Clo wrote::arrow: asmodeus

• The only workaround I could suggest to you is to create a button-bar (called from the usual upper bar) with the commands :
cm_GotoDriveA or 2061

up to

cm_GotoDriveZ or 2086
- So, with appropriate icons (specially drawn for, I could do this), you can get both the drive letter and a label…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
That is a good idea, although not quite what I'm after. Too much clicking :)
I wonder if my idea could be implemented in later TC builds, maybe?..
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I think it will be better if TC will have a param like this: DriveBarLabels=A (floppy),,C (system),,E (games)
Here comma used as divider, and if you specify an empty name (as for B and D drives in my sample) or skip rest of drives (as for F-Z and \ in my sample), TC will use default caption, else use specified caption.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

MVV wrote:I think it will be better if TC will have a param like this: DriveBarLabels=A (floppy),,C (system),,E (games)
Here comma used as divider, and if you specify an empty name (as for B and D drives in my sample) or skip rest of drives (as for F-Z and \ in my sample), TC will use default caption, else use specified caption.
I like this idea!
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license
asmodeus

Post by *asmodeus »

Boofo wrote:
MVV wrote:I think it will be better if TC will have a param like this: DriveBarLabels=A (floppy),,C (system),,E (games)
I like this idea!
It would be good for managing network drives!