Feature improvement request: since a long time ago

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Clo

The same in French

Post by *Clo »

2pdavit
That can equally be a parallelism. We tend to use synchronous in English to emphasize usually an automation but that's not always true
:D   Hello Panos,

• Quite right. Worse: originally, the similar verb "Synchroniser" had been used in the French versions; but it's quite inappropriate here, since in French it has the restricted original roots meanings, hence: same time. Good for clocks, watches, no more. Here, the time isn't the one criterion…
• Something like "Match directories" should be much better!
• This verb "(to) Synchronize" causes certainly confusions when translated - since TC is translated in a lot of languages -.
• In the French translations, I add now "(assortir)" >> to match beside.
• Thank you to have highlighted this important detail.

:mrgreen:  Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

"Parallel" is term from geometry that means adjacent lines that extend to infinity in either direction and that never intersect.

Synchronous means "same time".

Since browsing is a movement through folders, it makes more sense to me to use the geometric "parallel" metaphor because the TC command requires folders with the same names in both panels... ie the names/locations change "in parallel".

Synchronization in the TC sense of the word seems to imply "directory synchronization", which has more to do with the contents of the folders, not the names of the folders. We can "synchronize" any two folders, regardless of their names.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
Clo

Yes, but translations...

Post by *Clo »

2JohnFredC
We can "synchronize" any two folders, regardless of their names.
Hi!
• "(to) parallel" as verb is perhaps more appropriate in English.
• Besides, it risks to cause translations issues in some languages where an absolute equivalent doesn't exist.
¤ I. e.: in French, the equivalent expression of the verb has another meaning, and is inapplicable...
• In anyway, a better name might be used for this function, sure.

:mrgreen:    Best regards,
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Vansumsen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vansumsen »

• In anyway, a better name might be used for this function, sure.
Just an idea: "to twin", "jumeler" in french ?
Ouistiti, #11943

L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

Clo

Not here

Post by *Clo »

2Vansumsen
Just an idea: "to twin", "jumeler" in french ?
:)   Hello Paul,
• Humm... This is applied to cities (in differents countries) - It means "linked" in French, but not necessary "similar, equal".
Confusing here...
• In electronics, we use(d) "apparier" (to make pairs of something, to pair - to couple). I don't know if it's applicable to softwares... ?

:mrgreen:  Kind regards,
Clo
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

I love it!! Our discussion is becoming academical, a bit rhetorical may I add... with a touch of philosophical extensions! It's good to know that I'm dealing with intellectuals!!! ;) :D
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
zweistein

Re: The same in French

Post by *zweistein »

Sure, as I would say: philosophy good. Eloquence good. Explorer bad.

[quote]Something like "Match directories" should be much better![/qoute]

Not to me, sorry. "Match subdirectories", maybe, or "match directory changes". But even then, the current name "synchronize directory changes" sounds more appropriate to me.

But I don't see the problem with word synchronization. It's the mode where a process, changing directories, happens simultaneously on both panels. Well, not really simultaneously of course (I it's not me who started the phylosophical notes!)

I think the name "Synchronize directories" is less appropriate, because that dialog allows a lot more than just synchronizing directories - for example comparing, removing duplicates, copying differences elsewhere... The function name cm_FileSync is worse, no doubt a testament of how more total TC has become over the years.