Natural Order Sorting

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

I have columns header (tabstop header) hidden so it doesn't really matter for me how a kind of sorting is indicated in it. I'd prefer if corresponding buttons (on button bar) had two states: pressed and unpressed. I mean the following commands:
cm_SrcByName
cm_SrcByExt
cm_SrcByDateTime
cm_SrcBySize
cm_SrcNegOrder
cm_SrcUnsorted (this one is actually not necessary)
and new cm_SrcNatural (cm_SrcAlternative, or whatsoever)
and analogous cm_Left* and cm_Right*.

I already asked about this in the old forum but still don't know Christian's opinion on that. I should have sent Christian e-mail to know it but it's so well related to the content of this thread so I decided to post here.

BTW, the following commands aren't two-state even in menu (with or without ticks), which is quite inconvenient:
cm_SwitchHidSys
cm_Switch83Names
cm_SwitchLongNames
cm_SwitchDirSort
(there are a lot of others but I don't care about them)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'd prefer if corresponding buttons (on button bar) had two states: pressed and unpressed.
Currently the button bar doesn't support states. I will add it to my wish list, but cannot promise anything...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Maybe just a lower case "n" in the column heading would suffice
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
mhe

Post by *mhe »

I simply love this idea. Got lots of mp3`s and mpg`s that would be easier to add into playlists if they were sorted "natural".

How it`s implemented gui wise is not a big issue as i see it. If Mac users can live with natural sorting _only_. Im sure we can live with a slight hassle to change natural sorting on / off.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Currently the button bar doesn't support states.
May I ask why? Delphi's toolbar component doesn't support states? I thought that these components are just wrappers around standard Windows controls (like MFC, God forbid). Standard Toolbar control supports such buttons.
ghisler(Author) wrote:I will add it to my wish list, but cannot promise anything...
Thanks!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Currently the button bar doesn't support states.
May I ask why? Delphi's toolbar component doesn't support states?

I might be wrong, but I think Christian rather meant "TC's Button Bar doesn't support states at the moment".

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, exactly! It's my own control.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Thanks. Now clear. Will be waiting... :)

But would anybody else like the toolbar buttons to be 2-state? I especially mean sorting buttons. Maybe this wish moves a few rows up in Christian's wish list if there's more voices screaming about this... :)
jb

Post by *jb »

Valentino wrote:But would anybody else like the toolbar buttons to be 2-state?
Definitely yes! It is also wish of mine since years. I would even go further and allow different stateless commands and different tooltips for various click event types such as Shift-Click, Ctrl-Click, Shift-Ctrl-Click etc.
EXAMPLE:
I would like to assign the commands cm_CopyFullNamesToClip and cm_CopyNetNamesToClip to the same button. cm_CopyFullNamesToClip should be triggered by a plain Click and cm_CopyNetNamesToClip by a Shift-Click.
If the cursor is over the button and no modifier key is pressed then the tooltip for cm_CopyFullNamesToClip should be displayed.
If the cursor is over the button and the Shift key is pressed then the tooltip for cm_CopyNetNamesToClip should be displayed.

NOTE: The restriction 'stateless' is important because 2-state commands (toggle commands) such as for the sorting mode could not share a button.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

jb wrote:
Valentino wrote:But would anybody else like the toolbar buttons to be 2-state?
Definitely yes! It is also wish of mine since years. I would even go further and allow different stateless commands and different tooltips for various click event types such as Shift-Click, Ctrl-Click, Shift-Ctrl-Click etc.
EXAMPLE:
I would like to assign the commands cm_CopyFullNamesToClip and cm_CopyNetNamesToClip to the same button. cm_CopyFullNamesToClip should be triggered by a plain Click and cm_CopyNetNamesToClip by a Shift-Click.
If the cursor is over the button and no modifier key is pressed then the tooltip for cm_CopyFullNamesToClip should be displayed.
If the cursor is over the button and the Shift key is pressed then the tooltip for cm_CopyNetNamesToClip should be displayed.

NOTE: The restriction 'stateless' is important because 2-state commands (toggle commands) such as for the sorting mode could not share a button.
That would be actually really flexible and powerful.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Wow, jb! I like this idea! There are such buttons in WinAmp. How much space we could save and put one more hundred of buttons to our toolbars! :D
Christian, what do you think about this?
jb

Post by *jb »

jb wrote:EXAMPLE:
Now I think it would be better to show just one multiline tooltip containing the descriptions and the modifier keys of all mapped commands at once, similar to a menu.
EXAMPLE:
[face=tahoma]Copy full DOS path names to clipboard (Click)
Copy full UNC path names to clipboard (Shift+Click)[/face]
chea

Post by *chea »

So.... is the natural order possible now?

If not: how do I rename a lot of files quickly? (that is: add zeros)
Clo

In the Famous Manuals !

Post by *Clo »

2chea

:) Hello !
From the Help / Tutorial >> 4 >>b >> <wincmd.ini> :
SortUpper=0 / 1 / 2 / 3
1 : When sorting files, put files starting with an underscore _ last (1/0)
2 :makes a "natural" sorting, ignoring the spaces in file-names, sets the numbers at start / end of names as the usual order like
0, 1, 2, 3, .... 9, 10, 11, and so on, instead the "odd" Win / DOS system (order on the disk)…
3 : Like ‹2›, but with a logical sorting too for the special / accented characters as e - é - è … o - ø - ö…which otherwise are placed at the end of the list with ‹2›
3› needs Internet Explorer 6.0 or newer installed !
It works too under Win 98 SE if you have IE 6.0 installed. Found out by chance…
:mrgreen:  Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2005-09-21, 21:43 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
van Dusen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *van Dusen »

chea wrote:So.... is the natural order possible now?
Yes it is. Add the following line in the section [Configuration] of your <wincmd.ini>:

Code: Select all

SortUpper=3
(If this key already exists, just change its value to "3")

You can use the value "2" as well. For details see chapter 4b.) in the TC's online help.

EDIT: Oops... Clo was much faster :)

If not: how do I rename a lot of files quickly? (that is: add zeros)
For this purpose you should use the multi rename tool (MRT) of TC: Menu "Files" > "Multi-Rename Tool..." (shortcut: <Ctrl><M>). For details see chapter 3j.) in the online help.