New FS-Plugin: Serial transfer to other PC or Palm

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

aziemer

Post by *aziemer »

2VadiMPG

I tried to download your file, but the server refuses to let me in...

2Ghisler

It does not work, still no reaction... Does the message "No card file system installed" mean that there is no flash card (what is correct) or is it a general failure.

Andreas
*** Don't panic ***
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

2aziemer Oops!, sorry. :oops: Correct link is
ftp://mgppublic:public@mgpsoft.com/TCS[b]rv[/b]4Dos.zip :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2aziemer
Does the message "No card file system installed" mean that there is no flash card (what is correct) or is it a general failure.
No, it just means that there is no memory card. Accessing the internal databases should still work. However, I fear that the Palm USB DLL cannot work with Handspring devices at all, because the device may have a different ID number.

If you have some time to try, could you please check whether the palm emulator can download the ROM from your device? I know that it also uses the Palm USB dll, but I think that you need to copy it to the emulator directory. You can download the emulator here:

http://www.palmos.com/dev/tools/emulator/
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Jon Canale

Post by *Jon Canale »

I installed the latest software on my Handspring Visor Deluxe - "ROM version 0x03103000" and "Using old serial manager".

Also exiting Hotsync, and using newest sertransplg file and selecting USB Handspring does nothing.

Perhaps my system is too old to bother with?
aziemer

Post by *aziemer »

2Ghisler

I just uploaded the ROM TRANSFER.PRC included with the emulator to my handspring and started it. It does not give me the choice to select USB, just serial. Is that already the proof...? :(
I am at the moment soldering me a serial cable, and then try everything over the COM port.

Andreas
*** Don't panic ***
aziemer

Post by *aziemer »

2Ghisler

Now I tried it with the serial protocol, and this works with my Handspring VISOR Edge, even at 115kBd :D

Nice work, thanks!

Andreas

P.S.: If you need more tests, don't hesitate to ask for...
*** Don't panic ***
aziemer

Post by *aziemer »

I must correct myself, there is a special emulator version for the Handspring devices.

More specific info at http://www.handspring.com/developers/tech_pose.jhtml

Andreas
*** Don't panic ***
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Thanks for your tests!
2Horst.Epp
Could you please also try the new plugin and also the new filepc2pda server? Please try both the "USB (Palm)" and "USBh (Handspring)" settings. Thanks!
Works fine now with both settings. :D

The info reported is:
using new serial manager v2
ROM version 0x04000000
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2aziemer
Thanks for the handspring links. In the meantime I have received access to the PalmSource developer page, and I have found emulator ROMs for Handspring devices too! Unfortunately the emulator does not have USB support.

It seems that Palm's USB-DLL doesn't work with Handspring devices. According to the link you gave me, the Palm emulator can get the ROM also only via the serial port.

2Horst.Epp
Great! The problem was the ROM version 0x04000000 - according to Palm, all release ROMs should have 0x3000 set: 0x04003000.
aziemer

Post by *aziemer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:2aziemer
It seems that Palm's USB-DLL doesn't work with Handspring devices.
This is not totally correct, as the standard PALM Desktop (off the shelf) can access the handspring device via USB - not only the lastest version (as PALM is currently going to take over or already has swallowed Handspring) - but also older versions.

Andreas
*** Don't panic ***
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is not totally correct, as the standard PALM Desktop (off the shelf) can access the handspring device via USB - not only the lastest version (as PALM is currently going to take over or already has swallowed Handspring) - but also older versions.
Hmm, interesting - what about the Palm emulator pose? Did you try to download the ROM via USB with it? If not, could you please try it?
aziemer

Post by *aziemer »

2Ghisler

I uploaded the ROM TRANSFER.PRC that shipped with the "special handspring" POSE, but neither POSE itself nor the ROM TRANSFER program support downloading the ROM image via USB.

Andreas
*** Don't panic ***
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I uploaded the ROM TRANSFER.PRC that shipped with the "special handspring" POSE, but neither POSE itself nor the ROM TRANSFER program support downloading the ROM image via USB.
ROM TRANSFER.PRC does not have any configuration options, but it works with both USB and serial on my Palm, so it should work on your Handspring too. It just opens the "cradle port", which can be either USB or serial. My own tool uses the 'USB' selection to set other buffer sizes, but the port open command is the same as for 115'200 kbps serial.

Regarding the emulator: Did you copy the USBport.dll from the Palm desktop directory to the emulator directory? If not, the emulator will not offer the USB option. In my plugin, I'm locating the Palm desktop directory via the registry, and load the DLL from there.
aziemer

Post by *aziemer »

2Ghisler

Ok, this brings a little light into the dark...

I tried:

1) Using the "handspring" POSE:
- Copied USBPORT.DLL into the POSE directory. Still no config option for USB, but weird option entries (2 times COM1, 3 times COM2 !!!, 1 COM3). Removed USBPORT.DLL, killed PALM OS Emulator.INI from the Windows folder. Still trash in the selection list.

2) Using standard POSE:
- Copied USBPORT.DLL, getting USB selection! Being happy, selecting USB, starting servlet on the PDA, pressing "Begin" and.... - nothing happens, being frustrated again :cry:

Andreas
*** Don't panic ***
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, I will try to find out more how to access the handspring device via USB - so far I couldn't find any info on the net. Apparently Palm desktop uses other parameters to call the PalmUSB.DLL than POSE...