Goto line function in the viewer in TC

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

icfu,
the file has to be read so when you want to go to the end of the file the whole file has to be read, that's pretty obvious, right?
Yes, it is, I just thought you proposed a solution without a slowdown and I have missed it.

Thanks
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-11, 12:31 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Hush hush, find the basket.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Orion

Post by *Orion »

@icfu
Wow, that is exactly like what I was looking for. And it works just fine as an extra, external viewer accessible on ALT-F3. In the cases you don't need the line number the normal, interval viewer can be used - it is of course faster.

If Chrstian ever wants to incorporate a similar facility in the internal viewer it could just be an option that you could turn on an individual file basis, when you needed it. If not turned on the interval viewer could just work as it does now, making for the very fastest possible operation.
Best regards,

Orion
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

If Chrstian ever wants to incorporate a similar facility in the internal viewer it could just be an option that you could turn on an individual file basis, when you needed it. If not turned on the interval viewer could just work as it does now, making for the very fastest possible operation.
Yep, exactly. I have proposed the two checkboxes above.

I have messaged Rick bout the missing goto line feature and have asked for implementation of showing line numbers in front of line. If he answers I'll propose him a toggle for disabling numbering, too, so that TC lister can be imitated.

It's version 1.0 from 6/2004 so we can expect some further development I hope. ;)

Edit: I have forgotten to press F1. Goto line is on key"#". Omg... ;)
Rick is thinking about implementing line numbering for version 1.1. Some parsing interruption problems will have to be solved first.

Icfu
This account is for sale
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

icfu wrote:It's version 1.0 from 6/2004 so we can expect some further development I hope. ;)
@icfu
Thank you for pointing out ListerXP. A remarkable piece of Software. :)

Btw, current Version 1.0 is from 12.09.2003. Rick (ListerXP-Author) plans to release
an update 'sometime before the end of the year'. He apologizes for this rather vague
schedule cause he's got a good job now that takes up most of his time.

Let's hope, he does'nt have a good Girlfriend, too. :D
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

You are right, I had looked at the site update, sorry... ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
beuvema

Post by *beuvema »

JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Well, ListXP IS free and works OK, but for a small sum, V has so many more features it's a no brainer for anyone with funds and the need for such a tool.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Nice to hear that "V" has more features, but unfortunately my time to google for single characters is pretty limited.
Why don't you mention the website directly?

Icfu
This account is for sale
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, icfu.

May I help?

1. you visit the ListXP Homepage offering a lister tool recommended by, uhm, let me try to remember, uhm, yes, by icfu.

2. The ListXP Homepage will kindly tell you where to find V.

Regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
shammat

Post by *shammat »

icfu wrote:Nice to hear that "V" has more features, but unfortunately my time to google for single characters is pretty limited.
Why don't you mention the website directly?
There is a link to the program on the ListXP page (http://www.listxp.com/index.html)
It points to http://www.fileviewer.com/
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@karlchen and shammat:
Thanks, usually I don't visit the website of Total Commander to find a link to Windows Explorer. ;)

Ok, my impressions:
-it doesn't save any file indices for later use so the most important feature of ListXP is missing
-while indexing the complete file, file viewing is locked
-it offers a rather sluggish performance
-it permanently crashes
-the filemanager part is so poor that I wished that they would drop it and distribute the viewer in a more compact and failure proof version separately

To sum it up:
The $20 I will for sure invest in two boxes of beer instead. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

2 icfu

Hmmm.. V never crashes for me and I view some large text files (~200Mb), though never have attempted a GB sized file. Do the author a favor and report any crashes. He's a good guy.

I really like V's "Grid" functionality for fixed width field data files, though I admit to using mostly Texplorer for that specific function.

Wish ListXP had a toolbar and zoom functionality. And of course I need line numbers. And EBCDIC (occasionally). Oh, and V's ruler is useful, too. I like different fonts for text and hex modes, also.

Etc., etc.

Have a look at the preferences dialog, too.

Anyway, who cares about the file manager functionality? I use TC. Don't you?

I know YOU do, ICFU... ;)

Free's good, though.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

V never crashes for me and I view some large text files (~200Mb), though never have attempted a GB sized file.
Try binary files and load the entire file, big file sizes are not necessary.
Wish ListXP had a toolbar and zoom functionality.
I agree but ListXP is more a tool for keyboard freaks I think and the developer has no time anymore, this is really sad.
And of course I need line numbers.
ListXP shows line number in upper right corner but of course it's better in V where they are placed in front of each line.
Oh, and V's ruler is useful, too. I like different fonts for text and hex modes, also.
Also nice, yep.
Have a look at the preferences dialog, too.

Anyway, who cares about the file manager functionality? I use TC.
I care because I prefer programs that can do one job good and not two jobs lousy, that's why I would prefer the viewer component separately, just like ListXP.
I use TC. Don't you?
I know YOU do, ICFU...
Times change... ;)
Directory Opus 8.2 comes close to what I expect from a modern file manager. It has many of the features included that I have proposed in this forum in the past with either no reply from ghisler or a negative one. TC will stay my tool of choice for archives and for some file system plugins but the progressive developments are definetely done elsewhere unfortunately.

Icfu
This account is for sale