[OT] Good download manager recommendations...?

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

icfu wrote:So, try out yourself, I don't use them 'cause I am satisfied with Opera. :)Icfu
Me too. (Sorry, i could'nt resist... ) :D

Like Clo i also use Download Manager for Sites/Downloads that does'nt work properly in Opera (which is rather seldom now).

Regards, deus-ex.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I like DownloadMage best:

http://www.dlmage.com/
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

JohnFredC wrote:I like DownloadMage best:

http://www.dlmage.com/
God!! Latest update is dated as February 24th, 2002!!! :? :shock:
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Latest update is dated as February 24th, 2002!!!
LOL! :D

Some software doesn't need upgrades. I can't think of a single thing DLMage needs. It never crashes. It is incredibly functional.

It just works. Something I don't have to even think about.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
Innuendo

Nothing compares to....

Post by *Innuendo »

ReGet Deluxe!

Has features no other download manager has and it has the most sophisticated click-catcher. Period.

CGI, redirects, anti-leech, JavaScript, etc...I haven't run into anything that ReGet can't intercept yet.

The latest betas even have support for downloading MMS and RTSP streams.

Ohhh! And the only download manager I know of that has full descript.ion support. The perfect complement to Total Commander! :D

It's so good I actually broke down and paid for it! :shock:
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

2 Innuendo

I gave a thorough look at ReGet Deluxe and guess what! You persuaded me! I've tried so far in my life three download managers: GetRight, Go!Zilla and Download Accelerator Plus.

But ReGet has the cleanest most professional look yet simple to use and very informative. Catching downloads hidden under "strange" addresses must be its strongest asset. I also like its FTP approach to download. It is also very light weight in system resources. I cannot believe I missed that little gem! Bye, bye GetRight! Welcome ReGet!!! Thanks Innuendo! ;)

BTW, can't find a link for the beta releases; any ideas?
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Innuendo

Post by *Innuendo »

First of all, don't mention it, PDavit...Glad to help! This place is for people to help one another & you have done enough good turns for so many other people here that it pleases me to be able to do one for you.

There are three different "flavors" of ReGet: Junior, Pro, and Deluxe. Pick the one that has the right mix of features you are looking for.

Then make sure you download the HTTPS Addon if you are going to want to download from secured servers via the HTTPS protocol.

Get the ReGet Shell Extensions plugin & that will add descript.ion file support to Explorer.

There's even a Web Interface add-on that will allow you to control ReGet over the internet from a remote computer. What other download manager has ever offered that?

And finally, you can find the ReGet Deluxe betas at http://beta.reget.com .
Innuendo

Post by *Innuendo »

Oh crap.....

PDavit, I forgot to make a comment on those three download managers you mentioned in your last post.

Of the three on your list two of them (Go!Zilla and Download Accelerator Plus) are infamous for being bundled with awful spyware.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

2 Innuendo

Thanks for the kind words and for all the help.

> Of the three on your list two of them (Go!Zilla and Download Accelerator Plus) are infamous for being bundled with awful spyware.

I know but who cares now that I found ReGet?! ;) :D :P
Innuendo

Post by *Innuendo »

pdavit wrote:I know but who cares now that I found ReGet?! ;) :D :P
Just put that in for those who might be reading this thread and have decided they need to keep looking because ReGet is not for them. :)
JP

Post by *JP »

You really should try FreeDownloadManager. It's, as the name says, absolutely FREE...

The link: http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

JP wrote:You really should try FreeDownloadManager. It's, as the name says, absolutely FREE...

The link: http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/
Please, tell me that being free it’s not your only argument here?!

I need something more to get persuaded. Do I get something better than ReGet or another download manager? Or is it the fact that I get 70% of the quality for free enough? A quick look at the site’s info did not convince me! Maybe I’m wrong so that’s why I’m asking for some arguments here! ;)

I respect the fact that for some countries paying $30 is a week maybe more of hard work but here it’s the price of double-CD or should I say three hours of regular work. I’ll probably listen to a double-CD just a couple of times if it’s not worthy but making the same payment for a download manager which is constantly in use it certainly worth a bit more of consideration.
JP

Post by *JP »

To Pdavit:

I'm not suggesting it because it's free. This is a very good DM and it's free. You don't have to pay for this good stuff.

Just give it a try to see if it fullfil your needs.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

JP wrote:To Pdavit:

I'm not suggesting it because it's free. This is a very good DM and it's free. You don't have to pay for this good stuff.

Just give it a try to see if it fullfil your needs.
Thanks! I'll give it a try but I have a bad feeling... :P
sheppaul

Post by *sheppaul »

Don't you know Net Transport?

It's most available downloader nowadays.