Goto line function in the viewer in TC

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Agree with you about DOpus, but it is almost too much! It would take a "lifetime" to setup exactly the way I might want it to behave.

Frequently I get all excited about the functionality in DOpus and start it up to use, but when something has to get done immediately and... well, I switch to TC to do it because TC just seems to work better/faster (even though TC falls 'way behind in features), and frequently I can't quite figure out quickly enough how to do it in DOpus. Looks like it would take a complete shift in MY behaviors to make use of DOpus... out of the box it is that different from TC.

Or maybe it's just because all those features in DOpus aren't really all that useful to me, even though I think I want them.

That probably applies to your perspective vis a vis ListXP and V... ?

PS. I really hate that DOpus only opens the viewer pane on the right.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Agree with you about DOpus, but it is almost too much! It would take a "lifetime" to setup exactly the way I might want it to behave.
Due to the wonderful documentation in PDF format this task is solvable I think. At least I will try. ;)
Frequently I get all excited about the functionality in DOpus and start it up to use, but when something has to get done immediately and... well, I switch to TC to do it because TC just seems to work better/faster (even though TC falls 'way behind in features), and frequently I can't quite figure out quickly enough how to do it in DOpus. Looks like it would take a complete shift in MY behaviors to make use of DOpus... out of the box it is that different from TC.

Or maybe it's just because all those features in DOpus aren't really all that useful to me, even though I think I want them.
Perfectly fits my experience till now but after I have seen the changes for 8.2 I am impressed and willing to switch.

File and folder filtering in realtime, dynamical resizing of thumbnails, those HQ preview images shown on each folder containing images, renaming using meta data, navigation lock implemented as a switch and not a toggle, copy and create new folder in one go, multisort, logging, undo, explorer tree, scripting, etc... I need them ALL, definetely.
That probably applies to your perspective vis a vis ListXP and V... ?
I think so, yep. As a standalone viewer without the gimmicks I would be much more attracted.
I really hate that DOpus only opens the viewer pane on the right.
You can also toggle it right/bottom:

Code: Select all

set viewpane=togglelayout
But I agree, an option to show it left or above should be added.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

DOpus... perhaps, but at 7.6 Megs, thats like 10 bucks a meg. ($75 CAD)
Maybe they could cut the size down and I could afford it.
That's just way overpriced for a filemanager. Thats in the range of Norton's Suites, Nero, or what I paid for Win2000.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

dopus.exe is delivered uncompressed, totalcmd.exe is not.
Directory Opus has a dozen plugins, FTP encryption DLLs and 200 icons included for all predefined commands.

There is not much sense in comparing the file sizes without also comparing the features and the looks that are jumping out-of-the-box.

Norton stuff and Nero are bloatware, Directory Opus is definetely not.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

I didn't compare it to TC, I gave a unit cost in dollars per megabyte. And a comparison to "Suites" of tools, or whole Operating Systems. That DOpus is gouging for a FileManager.
And I agree it looks very good, lists some cool features, and appears to be put together well. And almost downloaded it, til I seen how much it would cost to register if I actually liked it.