[OT] Good download manager recommendations...?

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Yes NetTransport is very good. And free ;-)
But seriously, it can download some streaming content as well, and very FlashGet-like.
Huge advantages for me: it is able to connect to a proxy by NTLM authentication, and it can handle SOCKS4 and 5 proxies as well.
The site explorer is good too.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

sheppaul wrote:Don't you know Net Transport?

It's most available downloader nowadays.
Is it?! Two of the most popular download sites ( www.download.com and www.tucows.com ) don't actually have an entry of Net Transport! No wonder why I don't know it.

Anyway, I'm so impressed with ReGet that after the trial period ends I'm buying it unless till then someone convinces me for a better alternative here. Call me a capitalist if you like but money is not a problem. So, any tool will do (excluding tools mend to be for companies which usually comprise of 3-digit price tags). ;)

2 All

BTW, is ReGet a Russian project? Russians rule in computing! :)

PS: It was Hacker's search for a new download manager but it seams I went for hunting! :P
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Innuendo

Post by *Innuendo »

I take my programs seriously so I usually try everything I can find before settling on one. I had to have tried at least 20 download managers before settling on ReGet Deluxe.

As for the origin of the program, PDavit, the company's web site provides this information:

Headquarters of ReGet Software are located in Delaware, USA.
The company also has a branch in St.-Petersburg, Russia.

So I suppose you are half-right. ;)
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

2 Innuendo

Thanks for the info.

For the past 10 days or so, I'm also one of the happy registered users of ReGet Deluxe. You'll find me also in ReGet's newsgroup! ;)

For one more time thanks for the suggestions and thanks to Hacker for initiating this thread! :P
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

:) Anytime.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

OK, well, I found that only GetRight and ReGet Deluxe support multiple mirrors and automatic mirror searching.

The problem with GetRight is that its mirror manager acts weird - when adding a new mirror it seems to delete one of the already present mirrors. Also, when switching to the new mirror it switches to one I have defined before... (?)

In ReGet on the other hand I can't specify what mirror (from the available list) should each section be downloaded from, nor can I find out from what mirror I download at what speed. I also don't understand the speed values in the lower right hand corner of the main window.

Can anyone help?

TIA
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

Try the ReGet newsgroup.
Helix751

Post by *Helix751 »

As for me, after having tried lots of d/m, I'm still sticked to FlashGet. Besides obvious and common features to all d/m. it integrates well with other browsers besides IE and has great other features, like Automatic renaming files based on description.
Regards,
Sergio

TCmd license #12059
TC11.03x86/x64 | Win11 Pro
robinsiebler

Post by *robinsiebler »

I use Download Studio (www.conceiva.com). It is commercial, but not only does it download files, it will download web sites, has ftp support and will also capture streaming audio/video.
Robin L. Siebler
Personal License #13949
------------------------------
"Bother", said Pooh, as he deleted Windows
nyugi

Post by *nyugi »

I use FlashGet and it satisfies all my needs (related to downloading of course :) ).
Nyugi
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

nyugi wrote:satisfies all my needs (related to downloading of course :) ).
Oh, don't they deliver some nice young girls with it ?? :P :twisted: ;)

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2Sheepdog
Don't feed the hungarians ;-)
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

SanskritFritz wrote:2Sheepdog
Don't feed the hungarians ;-)
No need to be fed! Plenty of nice female population over there! :P
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2pdavit
:lol: OOOOOOOFF TOPIC!!!!!
Thats right!!
raytc

Post by *raytc »

nyugi wrote:I use FlashGet and it satisfies all my needs (related to downloading of course :) ).
FlashGet free version seems to be adware.