Useful 3rd party tools to complement TC

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

The good thing about the Essential Freebies Board is that moderators are allowed to wipe threads from spam, redundant entries and other chitchatting that is maybe of use in the present moment but only makes threads unreadable in the future.

So, @ghisler:
If you need a cleaner, I am your man. This thread would really need one. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2icfu
If you need a cleaner, I am your man. This thread would really need one. Wink
Cleaning such a thread is not a technical problem. But this is discussion forum and not really suited for listing complementary tools.

I want to invite you (and other members posting here)to our Wiki
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=8423
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

The Wiki is good for creating a database of applications but it will be polluted with "not so good programs" in no time. What are people supposed to do with a list of 50 editors for example?
The Wiki software corner can only be a success if we define a goal like "only the best of the best" due to the huge amount of applications available but as creating a Wiki article needs more time it's not a replacement for this thread.

The best approach I know to create a useful database is the EFB board, it has simple rules like "one thread per application" in which all updates can be posted. Meaningful comments are not deleted to make it easier for interested people to find the program they need.
The downside is that there are not enough categories but this is what will be a problem in the Wiki too as soon as program amount is rising.

Icfu
Last edited by icfu on 2005-12-06, 10:32 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This account is for sale
TotalFunction

Post by *TotalFunction »

Lefteous wrote:But this is discussion forum and not really suited for listing complementary tools.

I want to invite you (and other members posting here)to our Wiki
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=8423
Actually I'm "compiling" a list of all tools posted in this thread (up to p.10 at the moment). I'll let you know when it's finished - you may want to include it to the Wiki (it was planned to post it here but I don't care at all...).

TF
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2icfu
The Wiki is good for creating a database of applications but it will be polluted with "not so good programs" in no time. What are people supposed to do with a list of 50 editors for example?
Some weeks ago I found a free help authoring application. I used it for some days and found out it really sucks. I added a "request for deletion" template to the article knowing that it will be deleted the next the author cleans up the Wiki.
The Wiki software corner can only be a success if we define a goal like "only the best of the best" due to the huge amount of applications available but as creating a Wiki article needs more time it's not a replacement for this thread.
That's a good idea. Only the best programs (which is subjective of course) should be listed there.
The best approach I know to create a useful database is the EFB board, it has simple rules like "one thread per application" in which all updates can be posted. Meaningful comments are not deleted to make it easier for interested people to find the program they need.
The downside is that there are not enough categories.
The Wiki is even better here. An article remains readable because comments and discussions are performed on an extra page
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

The best of the best is relative therm.

Why don't we use some scheme similar to this:
- there should be pros and cons for every program which is mentioned on the list. Pros and cons must be defined as keywords so people can search this db in standardized way. Specific program properties can be described using human language. People on the forum shoud learn specialized language that is to form software descriptions headers only. Any comment should be written after header.
- there should be top list depending on votes.
- only members with substantial activity are alowed to vote, so to avoid passangers which will most likely cause SPAM.

This is just a thought, and it is widely open to suggestions.
This is something we need. So we must find the best organisation for that database.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Only the best programs (which is subjective of course) should be listed there.
And this is also the problem. Some prefer tiny, resource-friendly apps, some prefer suites that can do it all.
The Wiki is even better here. An article remains readable because comments and discussions are performed on an extra page
This extra page is nice for discussing articles, but comments to a program should be directly integrated in the article to get an overview at once. So, regarding software I would prefer a Wiki having some more forum features. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
JP

Post by *JP »

majkinetor wrote:Please, let ME be the one who decides what is waste of MY time and what is not.

@ Sas
You are just jelouce you are not "Rookie of the Year" :) :)
Just one question: Are you Slobodan Milosevic? If it's you, you have a lot of time to waste.... :D :D :D :P :P :P :wink: :wink: :wink:
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2JP
Careful there... this was really bad. Would you call a german a n a z i?
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Just one question: Are you Slobodan Milosevic? If it's you, you have a lot of time to waste....
If you would ask me if I am S h i t l e r just because I am German I would not be very amused actually.
This is really bad taste.

Icfu
This account is for sale
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

Let us ignore "Slobodan Milosevic" post for the moment. No comment.

I agree with icfu that Wiki is not appropiriate. There should be something else....
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2icfu
And this is also the problem. Some prefer tiny, resource-friendly apps, some prefer suites that can do it all.
Yes but this problem occurs in both forum and wiki.
This extra page is nice for discussing articles, but comments to a program should be directly integrated in the article to get an overview at once. So, regarding software I would prefer a Wiki having some more forum features. Wink
I have to disagree here. For me even simply comments are confusing on a program description article page.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

I have to disagree here. For me even simply comments are confusing on a program description article page.
I second that. I think the wiki should consist of articles, it is not intended to be a forum.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Yep, but in the forum you can be sure that crappy applications will at once receive feedback because it's all in one place. The Wiki, due to the categories, is hard to watch. If it's possible to limit the "recent changes" to the software category it may be a nice alternative though.
This is a problem of the Wiki then, not the article itself.
What is confusing when you have the article in the first posting and comments thereafter in the following postings?

My opinion is: If we cannot do it better than EFB, we can just stop trying. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

2icfu
We need standardized way of describing applications. Somebody should try to underscore all common software atributes and create keywords for them like:

DM2:
Pros:  image size = 80K
         interface = tray icon, hot keys, ...
         execution speed = fast

Cons: compatibilty = windows blinds
          interface = no icons in favorites
          interface = not practical in design of some menus

This is cool because the one will be able to browse through properties that interest him the most (interface ?... speed ?)

The one should be able to click on item for complete description.
Don't mention now software that doesn't fit any categorisation because this is just an idea.