Useful 3rd party tools to complement TC

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sas2000
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sas2000 »

2JP: Bad joke :(

2majkinetor:
DM2:
Pros:  image size = 80K
         interface = tray icon, hot keys, ...
         execution speed = fast

Cons: compatibilty = windows blinds
          interface = no icons in favorites
          interface = not practical in design of some menus
         Good idea. 8)

TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

majkinetor wrote:We need standardized way of describing applications. Somebody should try to underscore all common software atributes and create keywords for them like:

DM2:
Pros: image size = 80K
interface = tray icon, hot keys, ...
execution speed = fast

Cons: compatibilty = windows blinds
interface = no icons in favorites
interface = not practical in design of some menus
A good idea, but a link to where the software can be found is a must ;)
license #76904
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

LIke I said it is just an idea. If people think it is a good one, then some of us can try to do something precise with it.

ICFU, Leftious, and everybody else, if you also think this is good idea we should make some schemes.

I mentioned those 2 guyes first, because, search for good software is ICFUs passion (as is mine) and Leftious is already compiling the list and he has experience in making models like we all already know. But if there is anybody else interested he should speak now. Or if 2 of you are not interested...
B@rndH

Post by *B@rndH »

majkinetor wrote:But if there is anybody else interested he should speak now.
Support :!: :!:

In this regard I would like to direct your attention to http://www.tinyapps.org/ which is a nice compilation of tiny programs for varying platforms. It has been in existence for a couple of years now and is still maintained lovingly.

Did anybody think about how to keep such a compilation up-to-date? Is there an automated way for that or will someone be forced to do it?

Regards,
B.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

1. Where will this database come to existence? We have the forum and the Wiki and both are not suited.
2. Image size and other absolute data changes from version to version, who will keep this information up-to-date? I'll tell you: the original author and as soon as he loses interest those absolute values are useless.
3. Speed is relative and how to press a zillion of "not black, not white, but grey" attributes into a meaningful scheme? What is a "size" at all? There are setup files, archive files, Exes, uncompressed data?
4. Pressing a few "the best of the best" of all apps into such a scheme sounds like more work than fun to me, so the work will be done mainly by a few users, the rest gets served and will complain why I prefer metapad over win32pad.
5. The most important keyword for an application is the download link because on the author's website I can see how big the app is, I have screenshots and other valuable information. Wasting time with search engines is way out of of my interest.

I sincerely doubt that the TC community is able to manage such a project due to a lack of interest, crying out "support, great idea" is simply not enough, only actions count. Regarding that the Wiki is mainly filled with content by the usual suspects I don't see any real "let's do it"-power anymore in this community and the times where I have felt the need to contribute stuff I don't need myself seem to be over.

I will watch what happens, impress me. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

I don't think this is a "project" that needs to be undertaken - there are already many websites dedicated to this sort of thing to name a few in my Bookmarks:
Pricelesswarehome.org
Son Of Spy WhutzNu?
Shell Extension City
OnlyTheBestFreeware.com
The Great Software List
Among around 30 or so sites, some professional some amateur. I'm sure others perhaps are like me and get an inkling to go looking for software now and then, and sometimes find some real gems.
Thats the real reason for a thread like this to hear a shout-out from others about something we may not of heard about - not to start up yet another software list - that will only become redundant when Vista hits the sheets next year.

(Thanks ICFU, I really hadn't noticed since the site loaded up just fine...maybe thats why the email I sent to that domain bounced heh.)
Last edited by Balderstrom on 2005-12-07, 09:36 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

Ok, I changed my mind. It IS very hard work for people to do it by passion.

I think that problems like " Speed is relative and how to press a zillion of "not black, not white, but grey" can be solved although they are not trivial.

The main, and unsovling problem is who is going to be there for updates.

This is ofcourse problem if we talk about this project in its full light - every case should be handled by the design. But, if we are talking about small group of people who post cool programs every now and then, then this scheme doesn't need to be complete but functional in some measure. Also, as you may notice, programs that are posted here are mainly tools, that is, there are usualy no big applications like Photoshop or AutoCad, but small apps with one or two small files (that is way they are here at the first place, among other reasons)
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Some goodies from developer of HiJackThis:

Uptimer4 is a resource-friendly modular system info utility that can be displayed docked or floating. It offers modules like the usual suspects CPU, RAM, Free Disk over network speed and Winamp control (tip: you can also control Apollo if you save a copy or hardlink of apollo.exe as winamp.exe) till shutdown ability.
Also included is an alarm clock, (time sync not yet ready), a web server page for remote controlling, window handling like always on top, etc... and some neat rips for creating Winkey shortcuts and make desktop icons small.

ADS Spy is a scanner for alternate data streams which it can view, modify, safe and delete!

Icfu
This account is for sale
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Syn-K's WinT (Babelfish translated Japanese website)
Syn-K's WinT 1.6.1.1 (DDL, program is in English)

Start it and play around with that nifty little icon above the max, min and close buttons. :)

Window modifications of all kind with LMB, RMB and WMB:
Always on top, priority, transparency, minimize to tray, rollup, remove window caption, disable min, max or close button, activate taskbar or desktop icon transparency, etc...

Recommended first action:
Uncheck the "Fixed" box in button config to move that niftly little icon in the title bar. You can then add up to four buttons and assign them to program internal functions, a folder dropdown menu or an application to start. Right click on an icon in button config to change it.

Icfu
Last edited by icfu on 2005-12-30, 20:22 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This account is for sale
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

This is a full blown suite of all imaginable network tools:
IP sniffer/IP tools

Icfu
This account is for sale
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Order taskbar buttons by drag&drop with Taskbar++.

Icfu
This account is for sale
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Order taskbar buttons by drag&drop with Taskbar++.
Neat! Thanks Icfu.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

icfu wrote:Order taskbar buttons by drag&drop with Taskbar++
Wirklich schick.

Danke.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Although it works only if no grouping is allowed on the taskbar. :cry:
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Although it works only if no grouping is allowed on the taskbar.
Yep, otherwise you can use TaskArrange, not that comfortable though...

German translation by me you can find here:
http://rapidshare.de/files/10115945/TaskArrange_German_lang_pack.zip.html

Author has ignored my emails till now, no idea if he is dead, uninterested or just heavily spam protected. ;)

Edit: Ah, you know that already... ;)

Icfu
Last edited by icfu on 2005-12-30, 20:35 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This account is for sale