Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JP

Post by *JP »

burekbrigada wrote:
JP wrote:These are very bad news...
Not so bad if ...
ghisler(Author) wrote:- pack the selected files with zip
- upload the files to ftp, or some other plugin
Well, the zip format simply sucks... I prefer 7z or rar.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

External archiving could be possible, not all that efficient, but possible (solid should probably be un-opted).
Send the files to the archive in sequence, resort the files (internal list) by which directory they are actually in before sending to an external packer, thus groups of files could be sent at the same time.
And keep resending to the archive until complete.

In the instance of a PPP :-) containing:
File1.txt -> C:\DIR1\File1.txt
File2.txt -> C:\DIR2\File2.txt
File3.txt -> C:\DIR3\File3.txt

Thus a RAR attempt would need to make 3 calls and 3 sends, making something like NewRar.rar which would contain:
\NewRar\DIR1\File1.txt
\NewRar\DIR2\File2.txt
\NewRar\DIR3\File3.txt
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2Balderstrom
Well, such repeated re-packing would be less efficient than what is done now (copying to common directory, then packing), especially with RAR solid archives: The entire archive would be packed again and again from the beginning...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Well I did say "unopt solid" in my post :-)
JP

Post by *JP »

ghisler(Author) wrote:2Balderstrom
Well, such repeated re-packing would be less efficient than what is done now
Can we already do that? Could you pls tell me how?
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

Is it possible to have solid option (or some other option) selected, while packing with winrar from TC via Alt+F5??
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

solid wrote:Is it possible to have solid option (or some other option) selected, while packing with winrar from TC via Alt+F5??
Setup your default profile in WinRar's gui, those options should be used when called by TC.
frenky

Post by *frenky »

Is it possible to have solid option (or some other option) selected, while packing with winrar from TC via Alt+F5??
If you want to use console version of WinRar (named rar.exe) rename exe to WinRar.exe, create rar.ini in same directory as newly renamed WinRar.exe, and add following:

Code: Select all

switches=-s -m5 -md4096
This means -s (solide) -m5 (best commpression) -md4096 (dictionary size)

You should rename rar.exe to winrar.exe because TC passes all uppercase 8.3 names to rar.exe because of compatibility with older rar versions.
Ambiguity succeeds where honesty dares not venture.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Not to be argumentative, but I just monitored a RAR packing of an 8.3 Capped File thru TC w/ Sysinternals Filemon (With TC configured to use WinRar.exe), and at no point was "RAR.exe" accessed or called.
frenky

Post by *frenky »

Not to be argumentative, but I just monitored a RAR packing of an 8.3 Capped File thru TC w/ Sysinternals Filemon (With TC configured to use WinRar.exe), and at no point was "RAR.exe" accessed or called.
This is OK, but I wrote:
If you want to use console version of WinRar
So you can use console version, for e.g. installation of TC where you take yust one (or two files) from installation of WinRar without need for all files that comprise GUI version (I assume there are several files).

What you should do:
Copy C:\Program File\WinRar\rar.exe to C:\totalcmd\arc\winrar.exe
Copy C:\Program File\WinRar\rarreg.key to C:\totalcmd\arc\rarreg.key
create C:\totalcmd\arc\rar.ini with settings as in my previous post and set path for rar external packer to "C:\totalcmd\arc\winrar.exe".

Paths are of couse yust for example.
Ambiguity succeeds where honesty dares not venture.
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

Balderstrom wrote:Setup your default profile in WinRar's gui, those options should be used when called by TC.
That's working, thx.

One more thing. Is there a way to open the winrar's "archive name and parameters" window, while invoking alt+F5??

That is the window that winrar opens when "Add to archive..." command is chosen from right-click popup menu on selected files.
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

While toying with EditPad which uses a tabbed-window interface, I was always struck by how clearly significant windows were drawn to one's attention when just (and only) their tab stubs were coloured, as opposed to the normal grey/white scheme. It would be very useful if TC v7 could also manage this, wouldn't you think? In the event virtual panels are ever implemented, a brightly coloured tab stub would leave no doubt as to what sort of window it was. Don't know if this has been requested before or how awkward it would be to do, but user-coloured tab stubs are now on my wish-list! :)
acnapyx

Post by *acnapyx »

Let's leave for a moment the problem with packing. Let's also forget about waiting for Vista.

What I would very much like to see in TC7 about virtual folders:

1: As I already mentioned in the following thread: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=8761&highlight=, I would very much like to see persistent search results after restarting TC.

2: The virtual folders feature should work on any Windows, including 9x! We should not be forced to move to Vista, only to use this feature - not mentioning that it is implemented there anyways... When I thought about virtual folders, I mentioned them as a means to get the Vista behaviour in *any* Windows. And better not to use XML for them, not everybody uses the latest Windowses...

3. Basic file operations, working with REAL files - copy, move, and after warning (which could be turned off in ini file) - delete. Also search for contents in the files listed in virtual folder.

The most important issue is the persistence of the search results. Everything other in my opinion is... nice, but optional.