Useful 3rd party tools to complement TC

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

If you're in with icon creating and editing, you should try icon empire's iconomaker, I'm using it for quite a while and am really satisfied with it. It's not free though, but comes at a reasonable price ($19,95).

Key features:
- Import and export .ico, .png, .xpm, .xbm, and .icpr formats
- Edit packed Windows Vista icons
- Create and edit icons in either standard or custom sizes, in color depths up to 16 million colors
- Create and edit icons for Windows XP in 32-bit color depth with 8-bit alpha channel
- Anti-aliasing
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

I like the idea of having this features integrated into DM2. It's a shame DM2 has no forum to discuss new features.

I think it would be useful if we could write down a list of things we want DM2 to handle in a future (and it would be even better if one of the DM2 authors reads the list).

For example:
  • Program grouping (like FungusTabs).
  • Placebar editor.
  • Click on any place of a window to move it.
  • Fixed dialog resizer.
  • Gamma and Overlay controls through hotkeys.
  • Reorder taskbar buttons (like TaskArrange, but using drag & drop)
  • Place other requests here...
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I am doing a Wiki entry for that...

Icfu
This account is for sale
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

icfu wrote:Everyone is dreaming about an all-in-one solution, me too.
Sigh, you are so right, a single elegant, reasonably-sized, fast app performing like a Swiss Army Utility knife would end most of the annoyances. I'd fold in, in addition to CoMike's list, KatMouse's functions and True Launch Bar's quick-launch icon-grouping ability. Couldn't care less if it was DM2 or not, just anything to eliminate the [EXPLETIVE-DELETED] app-diarrhoea. :evil:
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

2 Icfu

All the things U mentioned you miss in DM2 are the point of this discussion: we need more plugins !
1. X-Window moving - drag windows no matter where cursor is placed, used in Winamp for example - realized with Nuonsoft ShellEnhancer here that offers a hitload (doo, this [f]uckin' filter sucks) of other features as well, but it comes in a 2MB package 2. Resize open/save dialogs - DlgXRSizer (in my filestore) is unbeaten till now, but also big package 3. Resize all windows and dialogs - realized by ResizeEnable here

I can do all that. What about others ?
DM2 is good base since I know it is highly optmised. With 10 plugins installed it can't go over 150K which is very cool.

2 SQUIRE
I don't like PlacesBar. You can tweek it via TweakUI (freeware, by MS).
I like the way DM2 handles this with new button. The only upgrade in this field would be grouping and icons. Like AutoDialogs ! Of course, this isn't problem integrating in DM2 (just an registry patch )

2 all
Weird173 (the Author) doesn't have time for this right now. He just got a second kid. About other developer (some Chinese guy) I don't know anything. So we have to do it on our own. Source is available on the sourceforge (Visual Studio 6). Plugins for DM2 are nothing more but single appolications and DM2 provide inteface (hotkeys, config...). Anyway, Weird said that anybody is more then welcome to continue developement.

I consider this to be HIGH PRIORITY job. We are power users. We need powerful window menagement in one place.
Last edited by majkinetor ! on 2006-01-23, 12:48 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Habemus majkam!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

This account is for sale
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

icfu wrote:I am doing a Wiki entry for that...
Great idea! I leave it on your hands, Icfu :D

Tell me if you need help!

EDIT: Oh, you're very fast!!
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Ok.. I will make this my HIGH PRIORITY job. I have plenty of work to, but I am positive I can find several hours per week for this.
Habemus majkam!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Hey majki, be sure that when you extend DM2 and fulfil all those wishes you will receive lifelong persona grata status in this forum and will not be banable anymore.

Do we really want that? ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

2 icfu
Read first line in "my last worning" topic and replace Ghisler with Icfu. :lol:
Habemus majkam!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Haha, n1. :)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

icfu wrote:Everyone is dreaming about an all-in-one solution, me too.
Not everyone, because I'm not. :)
I experienced too much main apps where every new upgrade tried to be a bigger "suite" with more bells and horns.
The extra's most of the time being programmed in a jiffy, so sloppy.
If I want to burn a cd I use Nero, and I don't need some extra wav- or jewelcase-editor. I prefer to choose my own dedicated tools for such functions.
TC-plugins are ok though, because I can implement them or not.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Everyone but Sam Zen and other people not using five different shell enhancements at the same time of course, isn't that obvious? If you don't use them you don't need an alternative.
But, as DM2 uses plugins and like you say yourself you don't have anything against plugins in TC it makes no sense to be against plugins in DM2.

Nero is a funny example actually, especially Nero 6 and 7 is the worst suite crap that has ever been developed, it gets fatter from version to version. When talking about DM2 we are counting kilobytes, not dozens of megabytes so you cannot compete that *at all*.

Icfu
This account is for sale
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

I was just told by Weird173 of DM2 that original application was only 15K, done in freeware Watkom developer. After flyfensy translated it to VS it became 80K.

That makes me wonder ? Which size is the bottom that does make some difference! I mean, it is not very wise to do a lot more programming and complicate the code if there is no differences for 30K app and 150K app.

Does anybody have a thought about this ?
Habemus majkam!
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

2 icfu
Yep, I was a bit too quick here. I should have checked first more about DM2, which is an unknown app to me.
Yes, I don't use any shell enhancements. Simply because I don't need them to do my work.
And counting kilobytes is another story indeed. And I'm glad there are still people around who find the filesize of apps important, despite huge HD's and memory.

2 majki
I would say, the difference is some 120 K