In XP, Quick search dialog gets scrambled with numbers input

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

moom

In XP, Quick search dialog gets scrambled with numbers input

Post by *moom »

Hello Forum,

Since we upgraded to XP operating system, I get an error when I use Quick search (set with search dialog). When I enter a digit (0-9) as the first character in the Quick search field, the program "returns" multiple instances of that number in the search field, for instance when I enter 1 it does 11, 2 does 222 and so on.

I suspect this bug has been fixed in one of the updates, but I would like when someone could confirm this for me, and in what version it was. Because I'm not the administrator of the program myself. I require some very solid info in order to "urge" the admin to update Total Commander.

I been searching for a online version history, I think I remember there used to such a list, but I wasn't able to find it this time.

Currently installed version:
Windows Commander Version 4.03 32 bit (21.12.1999)
In the configuration options dialog, on tab Operaton, mode "Quick search (current dir)" is set to radio button Letters - With search dialog

Workstation operating system:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 2

Thank you for your attention, M. Moolhuysen.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Link to the full history Text maintained by pdavit

Official Full history Text

I searched through both files but I could not find mentioned this bug fixed.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2moom
Hi,

this sounds really strange. There had been a well known quick search bug which only occured when installing a certain Microsoft hotfix. I have never heard that anyone had this behavior on XP.

Official statement about the quick search problem:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=1886

Dicussion about the problem:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=1863
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, Lefteous found the correct reason. Currently there is no hotfix for WCMD 4.03. If you cannot update for any reason, then please contact me by e-mail. I will then create a special version for you.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Last edited by Gral on 2006-03-02, 05:53 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
moom

Post by *moom »

ghisler(Author) wrote:If you cannot update for any reason, then please contact me by e-mail. I will then create a special version for you.
Tanks, I'll try to convince the admin first, either him doing the update, or possibly hand over rights to me. Unfortunately, the IT department is very reluctant to maintain support of Total Commander, they seem to think I ought to be quite happy using "standard applications" in principle, and have advised me to return to (clumsy) Windows Explorer, lucky me :?
Lefteous wrote:this sounds really strange. There had been a well known quick search bug which only occured when installing a certain Microsoft hotfix. I have never heard that anyone had this behavior on XP.
That might well be because ereyone else used a more recend version already, before they transfered to XP.

For those with deep interest, a bit more information:
The character multiplication error only happens with the first character inmediately after the search diallog opened, subsequently, after I backspace, making the search field empty, from that moment on the search field input functions normally, including the first charcter.

As I hinted before, the number of charcter multiples depends on the character given as first input:
- with N in the range 1-9, N returns a row of N with length N+1
- 0 returns 00000000000 (row of 11 zero's)

I'll report back when I get a result from lobbying IT depatment/update (or in the hopefully unlikely case, I need to ask you special care)

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.