Search Issues

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AnthonyCian

Search Issues

Post by *AnthonyCian »

Hello:

I have (3) Search issues I like to bring up:

1. It's possible to search for "FILES" by particular size. Is it possible to search for folders by size? If not, is there a particular reason why this wouldn't work. Sure would be nice to know the folders that are big in size.

2. When searching for files by size, how about a between option? Search files between 200k to 500k???

3. Because there are a few files now that are 1gig in size. Would be nice to add "GByte" to the dropdown list of sizes to choose from.

Thanks,

Anthony
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2AnthonyCian
Hi,

you could perform all this task using my content plug-in dirsizecalc:
http://www.lefteous.de/tc/dirsizecalc_eng.htm

For all tasks you have to navigate to the plugins page in the search and define a rule. The AND between the rules means "Combine with" must be set to AND. Here are the rules for your tasks:
It's possible to search for "FILES" by particular size.
dirsizecalc.Size (Background) = 123456 bytes
AND
tc.directory = No
Is it possible to search for folders by size?
dirsizecalc.Size (Background) = 123456 bytes
AND
tc.directory = Yes
When searching for files by size, how about a between option? Search files between 200k to 500k
dirsizecalc.Size (Background) > 200 kbytes
AND
dirsizecalc.Size (Background) < 500 kbytes
AND
tc.directory = No
Because there are a few files now that are 1gig in size. Would be nice to add "GByte" to the dropdown list of sizes to choose from
dirsizecalc also features a unit Gbytes.
AnthonyCian

Post by *AnthonyCian »

Hi Lefteous:

I will give your plugin a try.

Although I was hoping the features I mentioned would be incorporated into TC search window.

Thank You,

Anthony
AnthonyCian

Post by *AnthonyCian »

Ok. It lools like I had the plugin already installed. In the search window I click on the plugins tab and pick dirsizecalc. I will have to play with it some to get the hang of it.

Reading the description, it says something about pressing the "on demands" spacebar. Can you explain that some? When I press the spacebar on a folder, TC shows the standard calc space. How do I use the said plugin for that purpose?

Thanks,

Anthony
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2AnthonyCian
Reading the description, it says something about pressing the "on demands" spacebar. Can you explain that some?
On demand and background only behave differently when used in custom column or thumbnail view.
When using one of the on demand fields of the plug-in in one of these views pressing the space key will retrieve the folder size.
In future TC versions there will also be ways to get the values of all selected or all displayed folders.
When using one of the background fields of the plug-in in one of these views will retrieve all folder sizes automatically when entering the directory (very hard disk intensive!).

For the search it doesn't matter if you use the background or on demand fields.
Content plug-ins are fully integrated in the search. To use the plug-in search open the search dialog and navigate to the plug-in tab and add rules as described above.

I hope my explanations help you to get the hang of it :-)