PassStore 0.61 - Updated to 64-bit (28/11/11)

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

djorge

Post by *djorge »

2pajo
To be honest i don't know exactly what the manifest is but i will try to find it in sources and let you know tomorrow because i don't have internet at home yet.
Maybe ND can post here where he found the manifest file.
Personal License #117854
Starf0x

Post by *Starf0x »

djorge wrote:I need more information. Are you trying to migrate from a previous database?

Folow these steps:
-Rename your xml to other than database.xml
-rename your ini other than PassStore.ini
Restart TC and open plugin. Check if a file "database.xml" was created.

The only option is do turn debug on:
add to your PassStore.ini:
DebugLogging=1
Then send me the log to djorge at zmail dot pt. I will analyse the problem.
That is hard to produce, as i get this message at the moment the plugin starts, i'va added the option to the ini, but it doesn't produce a logfile, which in know did with the previous version(s).

Removed the xml file, an it didn't create another one.

Could the pathname be a problem?

E:\WINCMD\Tools & Plugins\Filesystem Plugins (WFX)\PassStore\PassStore.wfx

Kind Regards, Starf0x
djorge

Post by *djorge »

2Starf0x
I don't know whay it is crashing.
I have created the same path as you have but when i try to add it to the plugin list it crashes!!!!

I manage to add it with success editing the ini file directly and it worked fine. Try to put the folowing line under the [FileSystemPlugins] of your wincmd.ini file.

passstore="C:\wincmd\Tools & Plugins\Filesystem Plugins (WFX)\PassStore\PassStore.wfx"

Nevertheless i will try understand why it is crashing....
Personal License #117854
pajo

Post by *pajo »

2djorge

I found needed manifest on net, now everything works like charm

thx
djorge

Post by *djorge »

2pajo
Glad to ear that. Where did you find it?
Personal License #117854
pajo

Post by *pajo »

squeller

Post by *squeller »

As this is a security piece of software: Where did you publish the source code? I cannot find it. Keepass has been distributed under the GPL. You use portions of it. I'm not sure whether you'll have to distribute source code of your program just because keepass is gpl...

And you should avoid excessive dependencies. I hate dependencies, they suck when trying to go portable.
djorge

Post by *djorge »

Where did you publish the source code?
The source code is not available for public yet. The idea was first to reach a stable and final version with all the features planned.
Keepass has been distributed under the GPL. You use portions of it.
I'm not using any code from KeePass. I use the same classes it uses for encryption which are from Dr. Brian Gladman's (http://fp.gladman.plus.com/cryptography_technology/index.htm) and from Szymon Stefanek.
I'm not sure whether you'll have to distribute source code of your program as well then...
I will investigate this issue.
And you should avoid excessive dependencies.
Do you mean VC8 dlls? The zip file for dlls is 826k wich will give ~ 1mb (so far) with the plugin. Maybe the best idea is to have 2 versions: one with vc8 dlls and one without.

POST EDITED
Personal License #117854
ND

Post by *ND »

You have multiple options for reducing the size of the package.
* Can you not link statically these DLLs when you build PassStore? Maybe it would be smaller that way.
* You could also try packing with 7zip (available as a TC plugin), which offers better compression than zip.
* And you could also try to reduce the size of your WFX executable (as well as MFC DLLs) using e.g. UPX packer.

There are other large plugins on totalcmd.net. For example xBaseView (first in All time popularity category) is 1.09MB large.

Sorry I did not reply earlier to the posts requesting the MFC DLLs, but in any case I would not have been able to help. I also got them from a link like pajo's, but I forgot the link.
I could have sent the .manifest files, but they contain some version info so probably they don't work with other versions of DLLs.
aNDreas Bolotă
The truth always carries the ambiguity of the words used to express it. (Frank Herbert, God Emperor of Dune)
djorge

Post by *djorge »

* Can you not link statically these DLLs when you build PassStore? Maybe it would be smaller that way.
I will check how larger it gets with static link.
You could also try packing with 7zip (available as a TC plugin), which offers better compression than zip.
It seems a good option.
And you could also try to reduce the size of your WFX executable (as well as MFC DLLs) using e.g. UPX packer.
It has been reported that this packer have some problems with VC8 dlls. I don't know if they are fixed yet.
I could have sent the .manifest files, but they contain some version info so probably they don't work with other versions of DLLs.
No problem. Pajo have already manage to get the plugin working.
Personal License #117854
Starf0x

Post by *Starf0x »

djorge wrote:2Starf0x
I don't know whay it is crashing.
I have created the same path as you have but when i try to add it to the plugin list it crashes!!!!

I manage to add it with success editing the ini file directly and it worked fine. Try to put the folowing line under the [FileSystemPlugins] of your wincmd.ini file.

passstore="C:\wincmd\Tools & Plugins\Filesystem Plugins (WFX)\PassStore\PassStore.wfx"

Nevertheless i will try understand why it is crashing....
Ok, here is what I did:

After the previous problems i went back to the 0.25 version.

So the Line was already existing in the ini file.

I copied the new passstore.wfx in the directory, started tcmd, and made the changes in de database.xml, also remove the line from the passstore.ini.

I had bought a program which had a long serial, the .25 crashed on that, now it works fine.

No crashes, and i can read the details of the program, the rest works also fine, so the wfx is in my opinion a splendid update.

thank you for your help, and believe me when i say that i'll be a convinced user of your tool.

Kind Regards, Starf0x
djorge

Post by *djorge »

No crashes, and i can read the details of the program, the rest works also fine
Thanks.

If you have some suggestions/features that would improve the plugin, don't hesitate to post here.

And let me know in case you find bugs are hidden somewhere...
Personal License #117854
ND

v0.4 autoinstall crash

Post by *ND »

djorge wrote:Nevertheless i will try understand why it is crashing...
On my machine(s), a clean autoinstall always causes TC to crash (clean = plugin not previously installed), regardless of wether VC8 runtimes are available on the system or not. You should solve this problem soon because it may chase people away from using the plugin.

Fortunately, manual installation (enter PassStore path in wincmd.ini) works without problems.
aNDreas Bolotă
The truth always carries the ambiguity of the words used to express it. (Frank Herbert, God Emperor of Dune)
djorge

Post by *djorge »

On my machine(s), a clean autoinstall always causes TC to crash (clean = plugin not previously installed), regardless of wether VC8 runtimes are available on the system or not. You should solve this problem soon because it may chase people away from using the plugin.
I found this behaviour yesterday. Never happened before.
I will check this issue this weekend.
Personal License #117854
ND

hack

Post by *ND »

I was just about to write that I found again a way to look at someone else's passwords (by replacing the masterkey in the database.xml with something else), but I was mistaken: when I tried to open a password file it showed "Error Decrypting". Good job!

So now I have a wish for the future: could the URL and maybe even the password file names (titles) also be scrambled with the masterkey? That way someone else cannot even find out what kind of sites I visit.
aNDreas Bolotă