[REQ] for a unique feature, none of the apps have (AFAIK)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

[REQ] for a unique feature, none of the apps have (AFAIK)

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

We all know that some features concerning aborting some group operations are requested constantly: be it stopping the search (whole search is stoppable, of course, but if you want to stop searching a particular directory on the fly), or aborting evaluations made by content plugins (in MRT, panels), etc.

What I suggest is to have a special panel (not connected with TC, but like it is done in FlashGet, but with buttons) with three buttons:
I). Example of searchg for a file with text:

1 button: stop scanning current file;
2 button: stop scanning files in current directory;
3 button: stop the whole search;

II). Example of searchg for a file with text, search in archives enabled:
1 button: stop scanning current file;
2 button: if the current file was extracted from an archive (or a file is extracting now), then this archive should not be proceeded (stop extraction, if possible, and stop searching for text inside files from that archive), but if we are not in an archive, we should skip current directory (as above);
3 button: stop the whole search;

III). In MRT (we can use several plugin's fields in the filename):
1 button: stop evaluating current field for current file (don't know if this can be done with the current API. I guess it can be, because TC stops evaluating fields in custon column view for those file system entries which are not visible);
2 button: stop evaluating all the fields, used for current file to be renamed;
3 button: as usual - stop evaluating anything;

IV). Same as III), but in custom columns view;
V). Same as III), but for the tips (from wdx-plugins);
VI). Copying/Moving/in some cases, adding to an archive:
1 button: stops processing currently copied (or anything) file. If we were copying, then (AFAIK) copying can be interrupted immediately, & the copied part can be deleted in a separate thread. If we were moving, then ... you got it. Etc.;
2 button: stops processing current folder;
3 button: you got the idea.

How I see it:
the panel should exist for all launched TC copies, so it should have corresponding caption;
if a user will evaluate something in custom columns view & at the same time a tooltip should be evaluated either, then show buttons for the custom columns view;
button shouldn't be just 1,2,3 :). They should change their captions according to what is happening in the corresponding TC instance. E.g. for III) it will look like:
1 = "Field"
2 = "File"
3 = "All files"

So, this panel & TC should interact in both directions.
Don't know if such a request can be solved easyly, but I want to know what other forumers think about this. Maybe it will worth trying for Christian to implement it for TC7.5 or any...
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

Hey, you, the black hole population! What do you think?
Don't be shy, say it to me! Come ooon! :twisted:
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

The idea itself is quite new and peculiar. But I would call this fact a drawback of it. It's too unusual for TC. I'm not sure that it will be convenient in use... But it's only the thoughts, maybe, I'm wrong...
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
szlori

Post by *szlori »

2XPEHOPE3KA
You must have slept very well lat night to come up with such ideas. ;)
I support the functional idea to be able to cancel all those operations you mentioned, but really don't think what you propose is reasonable...
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

2XPEHOPE3KA
The idea itself isn't bad, although I don't support such interface, the same reason as Flints.

The handling of group of operations can be solved via internal scripts and that is only sophisticated solution. . This is just another example how Ghislers ignorance can lead people to "unique feature. that none of the apps have".
Habemus majkam!
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

You, guys, don't break my imagination :wink:. I've already got used to this feature in my mind :lol:

Actually, I really think it will be convinient to use that panel with ONE TC instance. (When only one is allowed).
Especially if this panel also shows some percentage and if it is on-top. Ah, dreams...

2m
How do you manage to abort group operations via scripts? Or you want to perform those group operations yourself, with a script which uses TC and reacts on aborting events?
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

How do you manage to abort group operations via scripts?
I don't. That was hypothetical.
TC doesn't have internal script yet. Scripting engine available AFAIK is limited, because TCs commands are without parameters. With parameters, your propositions can be done easily.

I already sugested your "info place" for copy/move to be as a try icon similar to what for instance Taskinfo has to present RAM/VMEM/CPU in dynamic tray icon (in this case t1|t2..|t4 where ti is thread procentage in coping. You can extend this for MRT and any other procentage)

So face the facts, and don't dream anymore. I support fantasies where there is at least 0.00001 procentage for them to come to life. This one is not among that kind. For havens sake, he doesn't want to implement multithreading and Unicode and you are talking about some make-up improvements...

And Ghisler is preaty trivial person. You can't expect him to be Santa Claus.
Habemus majkam!
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

About multithreading: what do you mean? I don't say I don't know what it is, I just want to know what would be the benefits for a Windows file-manager.

About "preaty": you are unteacheable :lol:
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

About multithreading: what do you mean?
Open search field. Set some search. Then go make some coffie. Black for me. Withouth sugar.
About "preaty": you are unteacheable
Huh... I appreciate your efforts very much.

p r e a t t y ... preatty.. pretty... pre t t y.....pr e tty

I think I got it. Thanks again.
Habemus majkam!