New feature about search window

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jl2000

New feature about search window

Post by *jl2000 »

To Ghisler:

What about to have search window working in background?
When I'm searching a file, TC can't do anything more.
BigusDickus

Post by *BigusDickus »

That's not a bad idea, but you do know that you can open another instance, right?
--
Bigus Dickus
MCNGP #51
www.MCNGP.com
Sombra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sombra »

I can read English, but... I write like Tarzan. (sorry)
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Hm, reading the mentioned poll, I had the following idea (I have no clue about technical issues, so don't hit me when this is totally unfeasible :wink: ):

Would providing the search function as a standalone application solve the mentioned issues (if technically possible)?

I also like the mentioned idea of displaying the search in a tab, perhaps this could be implemented as some kind of file system plugin... (again: don't hit me, as I'm a complete Moron concerning the related programming efforts or possibilities, its just an idea)
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2StickyNomad
Would providing the search function as a standalone application solve the mentioned issues (if technically possible)?
Yes but it would introduce new problems. Some examples:
- Common program code used in the search and the rest of the program must be moved to a library.
- Communication between search and main program. For example when pressing "feed to listbox".
- Some nice situations must be catched: Main app is closed and "feed to listbox" is executed.

In the filemanager SpeedCommander you can see that this feasible because there is an external program used for search.

Anyway if you use the forum search you'll find other ideas. The main reason why people want a background search is the speed of the current search. A locate-like search or even a desktop search would make it almost unimportant if the search is running in the background or not as it would take only a few seconds. Such a search has a higher priority for me than search in background.

http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=9646
Last edited by Lefteous on 2006-06-21, 05:57 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

StickyNomad
Chris already thought about running the search as a separate process:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=64002#64002
It solves many problems but create new ones... :(
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64