Make Total Commander follow target.lnk

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

cuban

Make Total Commander follow target.lnk

Post by *cuban »

All,

As you may or may not be aware there are two forms of symlinks in windows. One using linkd.exe or sysinternal's junction.exe, and one using a normal directory with a special Desktop.ini and target.lnk inside of it (this is how "My Network Places" works).

Right now TotalCmd follows the first type of symlinks, which is great! Unfortunately it does not follow the second. Explorer does follow both.

Is this an option in the ini's that I have been unable to find? If not, consider this a feature request!

TIA,
Daniel
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Can you give some more details? Where is the original folder located (which conteins target.lnk and desktop.ini)? What are the contents of the desktop.ini? Where does target.lnk point to? I could not find any "real" folder "My Network Places" on my computer (WinXP SP2)...
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

Take a look at \Documents and Settings\<username>\Network Neighbourhoood.

If you have any Network Places saved, you will see the folders with the desktop.ini and target.lnk files.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately TC cannot both show the real contents of your harddisk _and_ follow these pseudo links, which are just real directories...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Who asked for being able to do both at the same time? Implement a new command like cm_ResolveShellLinks and an INI setting to control the default status and it's all fine.

@Flint:
You can also check this article, excellent summary of all the linking abilities of Windows:
http://shell-shocked.org/article.php?id=284

With this app these links can be easily created:
http://www.pearlmagik.com/winbolic/

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

To add something new to the already existing confusion:
CreateSymbolicLink
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

CoMiKe
If you have any Network Places saved, you will see the folders with the desktop.ini and target.lnk files.
Ah, now I see, thanks. The thing was that I turned off saving these network links and had no subfolders there. Now I've created one and understood what cuban meant.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Lefteous
To add something new to the already existing confusion:
CreateSymbolicLink
It's too early for that:
Requirements:
Client - Requires Windows Vista.
:lol: Currently creating symbolic links is not such a trivial task...

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Flint
It's too early for that
I'll try this new function and post results here.

p.s: TPosting from Vista Beta 2.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Following to the documentation it's a Windows Vista only feature which is abolutely identical to Unix symlinks.

I created such a symbolic link to a file now. Something that looks like a file with a link overlay is created. When I try to open this file an error message is displayed (opened in Explorer).
When creating a symlink to a directory it's displayed as directory but with a link overlay. An error message is displayed.

Something that looks strange is that special permissions are required to create such a symlink.

Mh - maybe really too early. :x
cuban

Post by *cuban »

Lefteous wrote:Following to the documentation it's a Windows Vista only feature which is abolutely identical to Unix symlinks.

I created such a symbolic link to a file now. Something that looks like a file with a link overlay is created. When I try to open this file an error message is displayed (opened in Explorer).
When creating a symlink to a directory it's displayed as directory but with a link overlay. An error message is displayed.

Something that looks strange is that special permissions are required to create such a symlink.

Mh - maybe really too early. :x
These errors, are you getting them in explorer too? Basically what I'm asking do symlinks work at all, or just not in total commander?
cuban

Post by *cuban »

icfu wrote:Who asked for being able to do both at the same time? Implement a new command like cm_ResolveShellLinks and an INI setting to control the default status and it's all fine.

@Flint:
You can also check this article, excellent summary of all the linking abilities of Windows:
http://shell-shocked.org/article.php?id=284

With this app these links can be easily created:
http://www.pearlmagik.com/winbolic/

Icfu
Supported
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2Lefteous
Did you find out how to resolve those links? It's strange that Microsoft introduce such links which do not work with normal file system functions while real NTFS links do work just fine...
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
No - I think it's really to early (Vista is in beta stage and the documentation is preliminarily). Another possibility could be that I did something wrong while creating the symbolic links.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another possibility could be that I did something wrong while creating the symbolic links.
I had the same problem with links already present on a fresh Vista, so it wasn't your problem only.