A totally banal question regarding old 8.3 filenames

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

satyr

A totally banal question regarding old 8.3 filenames

Post by *satyr »

If in the latest 6.55 version of Total Commander "Configuration - Display - Show old 8.3 filenames lowercase (like Explorer)" option is checked, then all the files are shown "first letter upper-case and all other lower-case" except for the "TOTALCMD.EXE.MANIFEST" file, which is show in upper-case anyway (i.e. all its letters are upper-case)

So what's then the difference between "TOTALCMD.EXE.MANIFEST" file and all the other Total Commander's files ??

thanks, satyr
Here's a link to my personal Tadej's computing homepage website, please check it out if you're interested in my computing-related articles, discoveries, hints, principles, rules etc.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

So what's then the difference between "TOTALCMD.EXE.MANIFEST" file and all the other Total Commander's files ??
It's not an 8.3 filename.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Hacker wrote:
It's not an 8.3 filename.
And it's written in ALL UPPERCASE.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

Well, I'm glad this pops up. For a long time I was not happy with all the capitalized filenames in the TC-root.
Just for esthetic reasons. It disturbs my survey.
But so far I didn't use the MRT to correct that, which I normally would have done. Out of precaution not to disturb any TC-structure. Silly of course, but yet.

I never paid attention to the 8.3 option in the config. Because when I see "like explorer" I get a bit allergic.
I just activated that option and nearly all of the files indeed turned into lowercase, but beside the MANIFEST-file, there is also still : "KEYBOARD.txt". This name seems to be according to 8.3, but nevertheless..
satyr

Post by *satyr »

Oh yeah, of course you're totally right; the "TOTALCMD.EXE.MANIFEST" file's extension has 8 characters. I really don't know why I haven't thought of that before asking, gulp -- :oops: ...

satyr
Here's a link to my personal Tadej's computing homepage website, please check it out if you're interested in my computing-related articles, discoveries, hints, principles, rules etc.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Sheepdog,
And it's written in ALL UPPERCASE.
All 8.3 filenames are.

Sam_Zen,
there is also still : "KEYBOARD.txt". This name seems to be according to 8.3, but nevertheless..
It isn't 8.3, as 8.3 is all uppercase. :)

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.