Will Standalone Lister.exe read wincmd.ini and searchtexts?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

marlon

Post by *marlon »

I use TC's built-in lister and sometimes lister.exe (32bit standalone) from the commandline. Built-in lister is just fine, but when I invoke lister.exe from within a (WinXPpro) dos box (or other shell for that matter), I cannot retrieve the saved "[searchtext]s" from the ini file. This occurs even if I specify the ini file: "lister.exe /I=ini_filename targetfilename." Likewise searchtexts I type in are not saved by lister in a dosbox.

I'd like to be able to retrieve my repeated searchtexts, especially odd regexps I use.

Also--a curiousity but not a problem: I notice that in addition to my wincmd.ini in the default location, I also have a lister.ini in the lister.exe directory. I am not sure why or how, but these two ini files, while not identical, are closely synchronized with lister.ini containing pretty much the same [searchtext] history as windmd.ini.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I confirm that, not sure if it's a bug or just not implemented by design.

I have no lister.ini in lister.exe directory though.

Icfu
This account is for sale
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

The old lister.exe - dated before 20.06.2005 - definitely had a bug: The /i= option did not work (correctly or not at all)

Therefore the readme.txt accompanying lister.exe dated 20.06.2005 explicitly states:
22.02.05 Added parameter /i= now supporting .\ meaning program directory, e.g. .\lister.ini
22.02.05 Fixed parameter /i= not working correctly
Yet, this seems not to be quite true still.

Evidence:

Code: Select all

%COMMANDER_PATH%\lister.exe "%userprofile%\Eigene Dateien\du-usage.txt"
will display the specified file.
INI file used is %windir%\wincmd.ini which is the default if no other file is specified.
As I never bothered to configure the external lister.exe thoroughly, e.g. Irfanview support will not be activated.
Of course, all the saved Search Strings from my normal "%userprofile%\wincmd.ini" will be absent.

Code: Select all

%COMMANDER_PATH%\lister.exe /i="%userprofile%\wincmd.ini" "%userprofile%\Eigene Dateien\du-usage.txt"
will display the specified file.
INI file used is "userprofile%\wincmd.ini" which is the one used by T.C. on my system as well, holding all the T.C. settings, Irfanview support, search strings etc pp.

The confusing thing is that lister.exe says Irfanview will be used e.g., but it sees none of the Search Strings.

To me this seems to indicate that lister.exe might fail to parse the normal wincmd.ini created, maintained and used by T.C. 6.55 correctly.

So if it is by design, it is not intended, because the readme.txt promises otherwise.

Karl
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Standalone Lister only reads certain parts of wincmd.ini - that is for example the plugins sections.

But Lister does not use for example the language setting - it is always in English, unless translation is hardcoded ( fx http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/lister_dan.html )
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Clo

No INI, no languages…

Post by *Clo »

2icfu

:) Hi Jeff !

• Same here : not any <lister.ini> in sight ! Nowhere to be found…
- Maybe this explain too why it doesn't use the current LNG ?
- Anyway, mine is in French ! :lol:

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Maybe this explain too why it doesn't use the current LNG ?
Nope, unfortunately standalone lister is not transferred completely. Maybe ghisler wants to keep an argument for people to buy TC? Just a guess of course.
Anyway, mine is in French !
Resource hacker Clo? :D
Anyway, mine is dumped, since I am using Universal Viewer now. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Clo

Hé, hé…

Post by *Clo »

2icfu
Resource hacker Clo? :D
:) Indeed, of course, naturally ! :lol: I call it "My little Finger"…

• The guy who wrote it might have got a Nobel Prize !

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
satyr

Post by *satyr »

icfu wrote:I confirm that, not sure if it's a bug or just not implemented by design.

I have no lister.ini in lister.exe directory though.

Well, and just for the record: I've discovered another standalone Lister's bug; it's that when you specify a different .ini file with a "/I=" command-line parameter, it limits the .ini file's file-name to max. three letters/characters ...

Example 1:

D:\Software\Support\Lister.exe /I=lister
D:\Software\Support\Lister.exe /I=lister.ini

... in both above cases the data is written to/read from the "lis" file; note that there's no extension !!

Example 2:

D:\Software\Support\Lister.exe /I=l.ini

... the data is written to/read from the "l.i" file; note the ".i" extension, so it counts the dot char too !!

satyr
Here's a link to my personal Tadej's computing homepage website, please check it out if you're interested in my computing-related articles, discoveries, hints, principles, rules etc.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@satyr:
Update your lister...

Icfu
This account is for sale
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Good evening, satyr.
satyr wrote: I've discovered another standalone Lister's bug; it's that when you specify a different .ini file with a "/I=" command-line parameter, it limits the .ini file's file-name to max. three letters/characters ...
This means you are still using the old standalone lister.exe from 2003 (?).:roll:
karlchen wrote:The old lister.exe - dated before 20.06.2005 - definitely had a bug: The /i= option did not work (correctly or not at all)

Therefore the readme.txt accompanying lister.exe dated 20.06.2005 explicitly states:
22.02.05 Added parameter /i= now supporting .\ meaning program directory, e.g. .\lister.ini
(cf. some posts above)

Karl
--
P.S.:
Icfu, you win. :wink:
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

You have written much more text so you are the winner of hearts. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
satyr

Post by *satyr »

karlchen wrote:
(cf. some posts above)

Karl
--
P.S.:
Icfu, you win. :wink:
Yes, but isn't that the "i" character (an upper-case i) compare to "I" one which is a lower-case i ... so does this mean that the case doesn't matter (AFAIK that's not standard behaviour in case of command-line switches) ?? Oh, and one thing has confused me even more, i.e. I first thought that it's a letter "l", i.e. a lower-case "L" !!

P.S. -- Thanks for the info on updated version of Listed; I am already downloading it at the moment of writing this post.

regards, satyr
Here's a link to my personal Tadej's computing homepage website, please check it out if you're interested in my computing-related articles, discoveries, hints, principles, rules etc.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Good morning, satyr.
Yes, but isn't that the "i" character (an upper-case i) compare to "I" one which is a lower-case i ... so does this mean that the case doesn't matter (AFAIK that's not standard behaviour in case of command-line switches) ??
If we were on Unix/Linux the answer would be: you are right, as a default expect commandline switches to be case sensitive.
As we are on Windows the answer will be: As a default expect commandline switches to be not case sensitive. But any programme author can do what he likes, so better make sure.

About TotalCommander commandline switches, also applicable to the external lister:
The commandline switches are not case sensitive.
So in this case /i=inifilename will have the same effect as /I=inifilename.

Kind regards,
Karl
--
P.S.:
At the time of writing the external lister.exe will reflect the internal lister state of T.C. v6.50.
Last edited by karlchen on 2006-08-11, 07:33 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

As we strayed away a bit from the original thread topic,
Will Standalone Lister.exe read wincmd.ini and searchtexts?,
I would like to sum up the information given related to the question:

The external lister, dated 20.06.2005, will
  • if called without the commandline argument /i=inifilename read %windir%\wincmd.ini
  • if your T.C. wincmd.ini has got a different name and/or a different location and if you wish lister.exe to use it, you will need to launch it like this: lister.exe /i=path_to_inifile\name_of_ini_file.
    (lister.exe /i=.\name_of_ini_file is supported, too, having the same meaning as with T.C. itself.)
  • in no case lister.exe will read the sections SearchName and SearchIn from wincmd.ini.
  • it seems to ignore a lot of other settings from wincmd.ini, too.
  • it does use the ListerPlugins and the Lister sections though e.g.
Karl
marlon

Standalone Lister.exe and wincmd.ini searchtexts

Post by *marlon »

Thanks karlchen for the sum-up and to everybody else for useful comments.

I'd rather have found that I'd made some mistake :lol: but it is good to know how things are working.

I use a few messy regexp's often, but they tend to roll off the list of searchtext in wincmd.ini. I'd considered doing a little script to inject my favorite searchtexts to the ini and then call the external lister. Probably I could do that from the button bar & call the internal lister.