[bug] Installing WCX plugins

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

[bug] Installing WCX plugins

Post by *Juergen »

The following happens when I'm going to install a new packer plugin by double-clicking at the concerning ZIP file inside of Total Commander (showed here with "bzipplug.zip" from the official TC packer plugin page).

A box pops up that says

Code: Select all

Install to:
%COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\wlx\bzip2
Of course the type of this plugin is not WLX, but WCX.

What do I have to change on my PC, so that that box will for packer plugins by default contain the path %COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\wcx ?

Regards, Juergen
Last edited by Juergen on 2006-08-19, 09:52 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
My add-ons and plugins for TC: NiftyLink, mbox, Sequences
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

AFAIR from the answer the same question on russian forum it can be since a double type plugin have been installed,as the Imagine for example, wich has WLX section and also WCX. Try to correct the path one time manual.Then it must be ok.
Q: Заметил, что при автоматической установке плагинов (через pluginst.inf) путь установки для любых типов плагинов такой: %Commander_path%\plugins\WFX\PluginName

A: Проверь, не лежат ли у тебя в папке plugins\wfx плагины левых типов, отличных от wfx. У меня был похожий глюк - только не для всех, а для архиваторных плагинов он мне предлагал папку, где у меня установлены Lister-плагины. Я проверил - оказалось, он так реагировал на наличие в папке с Imagine'ом WCX-файла.

CaptainFlint
From RuTCKB.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Juergen
Please take a look in your Wincmd.ini and tell us the value of the following setting:

[Configuration]
pluginbasedir
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

Hello, thanks for your replies!

2Postkutscher:
Unfortunally, this didn't work. I corrected the path manually, so that it contained wcx, and then installed another packer plugin. Then the path again contained wlx. :-(

2Lefteous:
In my Wincmd.ini it reads:

[Configuration]
pluginbasedir=%COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins
This directory already exists, and has the four subdirectories
- wcx\
- wdx\
- wfx\
- wlx\
( in case this info is of any use ),

Thanks, Juergen
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Juergen
Well I tried to reproduce what you describe but couldn't reproduce it. Here %Commander_Path\Plugins\bzip2 is suggested.
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

2Juergen
Don't forget to restart TC after adding a new wcx-plugin. Please, also check (BEFORE restarting TC) your [packerplugins] section: what is the last entry? Is there any entry which points to wlx-directory? Then check your [listerplugins] section: what's the last entry, is there any entry pointing to wcx-directory.
Last edited by XPEHOPE3KA on 2006-08-18, 20:49 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

Maybe I should mention that I'm using TC 6.54a on Windows 98 (forgot that, sorry).

2Lefteous:
On your sydtem, no subdirectory is sugessted at all?! Strange.

2XPEHOPE3KA:
I followed your advice, however the result was the same as before. :-(
Here are the concerning sections of my file wincmd.ini:

[PackerPlugins]
lst=21,%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wcx\diskdir\diskdir.wcx
iso=192,%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wcx\iso\iso.wcx
bat=279,%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wcx\makebat\makebat.wcx
mbx=221,%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wcx\mbox\mbox.wcx
mbs=221,%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wcx\mbox\mbox.wcx
TreeCopyPlus=21,%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wcx\TreeCopyPlus\TreeCopyPlus.wcx
dbx=0,%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wcx\dbxplug\dbxplug.wcx
7z=95,%COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\wcx\7zip\7zip.wcx
bz2=%COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\wcx\bzip2\bzip2dll.wcx

[ListerPlugins]
0=%COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\wlx\jpegthumbs\jpegthumbs.wlx
0_detect="ext="JPG" | ext="JPEG""
1=%COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\wlx\Imagine\Imagine.wlx
1_detect="MULTIMEDIA"
2=%COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\wlx\Excellence\excellence.wlx
2_detect="ext="XLS""
I can't see anything suspicious there. I also searched the Windows Registry for "wlx", but didn't find anything.

Thanks, Juergen
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

Please, uninstall imagine plugin, delete it completely, then try to install your new wcx...
If that doesn't help (well, it shouldn't help ;)) please, find a way to make Ghisler pay hte most attention to your problem.

Actually, I received such errors at WinXP Pro SP2 Rus, so OSs are hardly blamed...

P.S.: I see something suspicious here: no numbers after "bz2" entry. Delete the entry please.
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

I uninstalled Imagine, and removed it completely from the harddrive. I closed Total Commander and restarted it, and then the problem was gone! Thanks, XPEHOPE3KA!

But where did Imagine store the wlx information? There is nothing suspicious in Wincmd.ini. And I want to use Imagine. How can I do so without introducing that bug again?

Regards, Juergen
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

2Juergen
You should ask Ghisler...
Or, if you have a distributive of THAT imagine plugin, please, post the contents of its pluginst.inf here.
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

It was the version 0.9.0.0 of Imagine. Its "pluginst.inf" file reads:

[PluginInstall]
Description=Imagine - Image/Animation Lister Plugin for Total Commander
DescriptionDeu=Imagine - Bild/Animation Lister Plugin für Total Commander
Type=wlx
File=Imagine.wlx
DefaultDir=Imagine
I hope Mr. Ghisler will read this thread.

Regards, Juergen
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

Now that you know how to beat the bug, let's reproduce it. Uninstall that plugin you had problems with, install imagine that way exactly it was installed before (BTW, have you ever tried installing imagine.wcx?). View some images with it. Then try to install that wcx, you had problems with. Report results. Then shred imagine, uninstall that plugin, install imagine, WITHOUT viewing ANY files install that wcx-plugin. Report results.

It seems to me that such a test may answer whether imagine.dll is guilty or not.

BTW, try other plugins which distributives contain TWO plugins, but only one of them is installed automatically (with audioconverter I personally HAD such a problem).
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

Here are the results of the tests I made:

The problem even occurs when I manually create a folder %COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\wlx\imagine\, and only copy the file imagine.wcx from imagine_0.9.0.0.zip to that folder (restart of TC not necessary). On the other hand, after a complete installation of Imagine, I can remove the bug just by renaming imagine.wcx to say imagine.w. Both statements are not only true for the original file imagine.wcx, but also for a dummy imagine.wcx file with a size of 0 bytes. The same effect is produced with a file say abc.wcx. For all tests, there was no other WCX file in my %COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\wlx\ directory.

When I put a WCX file not in the Imagine\ subdirectory, but in %COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\wlx\, then TC suggests the path %COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\ for installation of a WCX plugin. It seems that TC looks for any WCX files in the path %COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\wlx\%, and if a subdirectory contains such a file, TC suggests the directory which is one level above.

But why does TC search %COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\wlx\%, but not %COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\wcx\%? Why does TC do this searching at all??
- On my system, there is a directory %COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\wcx\%
- In the pluginst.inf file of the packer plugin that I want to install it reads: "type=wcx"
So where is the problem??

Since this is clearly a bug, I changed the title of this thread accordingly. Thanks again XPEHOPE3KA, for pointing me into the right direction!

Regards, Juergen

PS: Can I safely use Imagine without the file imagine.wcx? Imagine is a lister plugin, not a packer plugin, no?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Can I safely use Imagine without the file imagine.wcx
Yes.
Imagine is a lister plugin, not a packer plugin, no?
Imagine is mainly a Lister plugin, but if you associate for example .gif files to imagine.wcx as a Packer plugin you can actually open an animated gif file by pressing Ctrl+PgDn and get a list of all the individual frames in the gif file.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

Mange tak, Peter! :-)
petermad wrote:Imagine is mainly a Lister plugin, but if you associate for example .gif files to imagine.wcx as a Packer plugin you can actually open an animated gif file by pressing Ctrl+PgDn and get a list of all the individual frames in the gif file.
Oh, this sounds useful. So after doing a new clean installation of Imagine, I just renamed "Imagine.wcx" to "Imagine._wcx", and associated it with .gif files. Works fine. 8)

While we are at it:
The dialog "WCX" > "Associate with" > "New type" only allows selection of *.wcx files. This makes things unnecessarily complicated. Almost all programs that I know, additionally allow the user to select the file mask *.* in this context. Please change this too, Mr. Ghisler.