Useful 3rd party tools to complement TC

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2pdavit
Heh! I can see the upcoming license free drive icons. Am I right?
Yep! Your quite a hawkeye :wink: think you already found the download, but if not, get vicons3 1.1 with the new homemade drive icons here
B@rndH

Post by *B@rndH »

StickyNomad wrote:Check out the free tool Xentient Thumbnails.
It replaces the generic icons for image files with the actual image. As far as I used it, it worked fine and with a quite OK performance (on my Athlon 1400, WinXP).

Screenshot

Works great with TC! And also with... ehm... whats it called... ah, Explorer.
Even works with Firefox' downloads-window!
Hmm ... installed it but it works only with the inexpressible :wink: ... any hints for me to get it to work with TC??
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2B@rndH
Hm, I installed it and it worked instantly within TC. Although I don't know the exact reason why it doesn't work for you, you might check what option you have selected in TC configuration -> Display -> show symbols... it should be set to 'all' or 'all associated & exe' to get xentient to work. HTH
B@rndH

Post by *B@rndH »

2StickyNomad
StickyNomad wrote:2B@rndH
... you might check what option you have selected in TC configuration -> Display -> show symbols... it should be set to 'all' or 'all associated & exe' to get xentient to work. HTH
I tried both settings but to no avail. :( What a shame. It looks neat in the wexplorer.
Thanx anyway!
Regards, dbh
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Hmm, what a pity that didn't do it. Maybe anyone has another idea what could be the reason...
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

Perhaps activating icon overlay, on TC Config -> Display -> Show icon overlay (or something similar).
B@rndH

Post by *B@rndH »

2CoMiKe
Thanx. Tried that now but it didn't help.

2CoMiKe and StickyNomad
I just browsed the options once again. What about the config of "thumbnails". I've got marks on all options in the groupboxes "thumbnails: general" and "loading thumbnails" but none in "compact thumbnail database". Is that the same with your configs?

Thanx for your consideration!
B.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

I just browsed the options once again. What about the config of "thumbnails". I've got marks on all options in the groupboxes "thumbnails: general" and "loading thumbnails" but none in "compact thumbnail database". Is that the same with your configs?
Those checkboxes dont have permanent effect, they are just for the "Start!" button. You can control with them, what parts of the thumbnail database (\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\GHISLER\) should be compacted .
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
B@rndH

Post by *B@rndH »

*grmpf* :? So, thats no help either. But thankee for the clarification!
gbo

Post by *gbo »

2B@rndH

Maybe you should consider making a clean TC reinstallation in another folder and see if that solves the problem, this way you will know if this is something related to your TCs settings.

BTW thanks 2 StickyNomad to point out Xentient Thumbnails this is indeed a nice freeware
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

gbo wrote:2B@rndH

Maybe you should consider making a clean TC reinstallation in another folder and see if that solves the problem, this way you will know if this is something related to your TCs settings.
You may use command line parameter "/i=.\test.ini" instead. Would force TC to create a new test.ini in the program dir and use it instead of wincmd.ini.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
B@rndH

Post by *B@rndH »

2Sheepdog
Sheepdog wrote:You may use command line parameter "/i=.\test.ini" instead. Would force TC to create a new test.ini in the program dir and use it instead of wincmd.ini.
Just tried that. TC comes up "naked" as suggested by gbo. However, the thumbnail-preview doesn't work. :cry:
Thanx anyway!
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

Is Irfan View already mentioned in this thread ? If not, well ... It's a basic one, imho.
With the combination of TC and IV it is possible to define different icons of IV to different bitmap-formats.
This is very convenient for the file-survey in TC. A .bmp file can have a different icon than a .jpg by the association.

Some tiny, very useful tools can be found at AnalogX
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

2Sam Zen

Yes it is already, but in the very early pages. I'm just began to make a list of all 'all (still) available mentioned tools. (As someone suggested a few posts before.)

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Sam Zen wrote:With the combination of TC and IV it is possible to define different icons of IV to different bitmap-formats.
This is very convenient for the file-survey in TC. A .bmp file can have a different icon than a .jpg by the association.
Do you know that you can even make your own Icons ?
All you have to do is change the icl Icons.dll in IrfanViews Plugin folder :D

@Sheepdog: This is great TIA ! :D
Hoecker sie sind raus!