Useful 3rd party tools to complement TC

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Dreamer

Post by *Dreamer »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: @Dreamer: Why dont you translate your page into english so that non-chinise speaking/reading people can watch the site ? :D
That is not my application. I just recommend it, and it's a English version with English help file.

It's so good, try it!
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Dreamer wrote:
Sir_SiLvA wrote: @Dreamer: Why dont you translate your page into english so that non-chinise speaking/reading people can watch the site ? :D
That is not my application. I just recommend it, and it's a English version with English help file.

It's so good, try it!
Sorry I thought it would be yours because of your nick Dreamer and the url
http://blog.dream4ever.org/Files/Fantast/NoteXPad_1452_EN.zip
................^^^^^:)

I tried it but its not Multilingual as NotepadEx and 2nd the Line/Colums are on the right side and not on the left as in NotepadEx :)
(you know the sayin bout old dogs and changing behaviours ? :))
3rd in a Notepad replacement I dont need a toolbar and sysntax highlight sorry :D
Hoecker sie sind raus!
van Dusen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *van Dusen »

Finally, it's a matter of taste, which editor you prefer.

IMHO NoteXpad is worthy to claim the title "Notepad replacement": It's small (!) (52kB) and friendly. I like it. If NoteXpad would be enhanced somewhat, I'll consider to change from my favourite Notepad replacement editor MetaPad to NoteXPad someday...

Disadvantages of NoteXpad:
* Very, very slow replace function
* Do not support other languages (as Sir_SiLvA already mentioned)
* No option to toggle OEM <-> ANSI charset

Would be "nice to have", but not a must (I'am talking about a Notepad replacement and not about a sophisticated editor like TextPad or UltraEdit):
* Row-numbers on left border
* Block-/(Column-)selection (plus cut/copy/paste, of course)
* Search / Replace functions, which support regular expressions (search / replace for <Tab> and <CR>/<LF> at least)
* Option to toggle visibility of "white spaces"
Maxwish

Post by *Maxwish »

there is only one notepad replacement:
http://www.gena01.com/win32pad/

---
now playing:
The Doors Of The 21st Century - Live In Hollywood - 104 - When The Music's Over.mp3
now drinking:
Oblomov vodka, 1 liter @ 37,5 %
---
...BRB...
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Maxwish wrote:there is only one notepad replacement:
http://www.gena01.com/win32pad/
As said before:
- not multilingual
- why do a notepad replacement need a toolbar :?
:D
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Maxwish

Post by *Maxwish »

- not multilingual
You understand English, don't you. So why want something that you don't need ? Or is it just to prove this product is inferior

- why do a notepad replacement need a tool bar :?
Who says you must use it? It's there for other users that like tool bars and specially requested the author to add a tool bar.
If you have a decent monitor/graphics card, there should be enough room for you to view the text without missing that extra line the tool bar needs...

quote of the day:*
Your arguments are like bird Pooh in the wind. You can do drop what you want but it will be very difficult to get it on the target. ;)

* (c) maxwish 2005
...BRB...
Clo

1 - 1

Post by *Clo »

2Sir_SiLvA
:) Hello !
- not multilingual
- I agree : naturally, everybody prefers his / her native language, I fight for years to get translatable programs - even a modest editor or TC-plugins- ! { Plz, launch a Search here with Rainbow as key-word… }
why do a notepad replacement need a toolbar
- Why not ? It could be hidden with a menu entry…
- And think too to users who can't fully handle the keyboard because some handicap (it's my case)…

:mrgreen: K R
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Kaens Bard

Post by *Kaens Bard »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I didn't know that it would be so complex to save a blue screen...
Isn't that auto-saved by Windows when dumps' turned on? drwtsn32.exe should tell every truth there is ;)
ghisler(Author) wrote:I think that it's better to keep Phoenix 0.5 for now
FireFox ;) is very stable nowadays.
-------
Best regards,
Kae.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Maxwish wrote:- not multilingual
You understand English, don't you. So why want something that you don't need ?
Sure Otherwise I wouldn't be talking to you ;P
But there are people ie in the great russian tc community and not all of of them can speak english and you praised the software as the only Notepad-Replacement...
Sure I can live without multilangual but imho it makes more sense than a toolbar...
Maxwish wrote: Or is it just to prove this product is inferior
Never tried to do so...
Maxwish wrote: - why do a notepad replacement need a tool bar :?
Who says you must use it? It's there for other users that like tool bars and specially requested the author to add a tool bar.
If you have a decent monitor/graphics card, there should be enough room for you to view the text without missing that extra line the tool bar needs...
Sorry imho a Notepad-Replacement should be small and fast without any needles things... If I want a Editor with Toolbar I get a REAL Editor...

[irony]Sorry perhaps you should stop drinkin before you post cause all I said were my 2 cents - dont know why you are so poohed ;P[/irony]
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Dreamer

Post by *Dreamer »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: Sorry I thought it would be yours because of your nick Dreamer and the url
http://blog.dream4ever.org/Files/Fantast/NoteXPad_1452_EN.zip
................^^^^^:)

I tried it but its not Multilingual as NotepadEx and 2nd the Line/Colums are on the right side and not on the left as in NotepadEx :)
(you know the sayin bout old dogs and changing behaviours ? :))
3rd in a Notepad replacement I dont need a toolbar and sysntax highlight sorry :D
I place the English version on my page, because the author's page is all Chinese, you can't find it, and just paste his URL is not very well.

About the Multilingual, I'll try to recommend to the author.
van Dusen wrote: * Very, very slow replace function
* No option to toggle OEM <-> ANSI charset
I have no idea about the fast replace, your MetaPad is faster? I'll try it.
toggle OEM <-> ANSI charset?
Change the charset? I don't need, but I'll talk about this to the author.
van Dusen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *van Dusen »

2Dreamer

I would be grateful, if you would contact the author of NoteXpad... Thanks :) ! NoteXpad got a great potential, IMHO

Here the results of two "benchmark-tests" I've made:

.WRL-File,
52,000,928 bytes, 683,131 lines
Replace 830 occurrences of ".TGA" by ".PNG"

Code: Select all

+------------+---------------+---------------+
! Editor     ! Load file (s) ! Replace (s)   !
! MetaPad    !       24      !       22      !
! NoteXpad   !       12      !       23      !
! UltraEdit  !        3      !     >  1      !
! TextPad    !     >  0      !     >  1      !

File with SQL-"INSERT"-Statements,
1,414,571 bytes, 18,997 lines
Replace 43,264 occurrences of "G_FA_VERS" by "Version_Pegasus"

Code: Select all

! Editor     ! Load file (s) ! Replace (s)   !
! MetaPad    !     >  0      !       22      !
! NoteXpad   !     >  0      !       79      !
! UltraEdit  !     >  0      !     >  0      !
! TextPad    !     >  0      !        2      !
The performance of a "replace-call" probably depends on
* number of occurrences of the search string
* lenght of replace string vs. length of search string (faster, if both lenghts are equal, slower, if replace string is shorter/longer than search string)

I think, it costs much of time to show each replacement in realtime (as NoteXpad do)... would be faster to update the main panel not until replace process has been finished (as MetaPad, TextPad and UltraEdit do). This could be configurable.

In a single pass (of "SQL-file-test") only NoteXpad has stopped showing the replacement after a few seconds and continues its work furtive. This pass of replacement test was the fastes one (peformance comparable with MetaPad). After this, I can't reproduce this behaviour... mere chance?

Regards, van Dusen
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

@van Dusen
If I'm right this is apox. 50 MB? why do you open a file of this size in a Notepad Replacement? And why do you compare a big Editor Like UltraEdit with a Notepad Replacement ;-)

@Dreamer: You got me - could you please mail the Author to make it configurable to change the Pos of the texts "Ready" and "Ln: x Col:y"
Tell him to Make the PRG Multilingual (the best by addational *.lng-files like tc plugins - so the prg woudnt get to much bigger)
What I like about this PRG is F2 - open new Instanze

Question what is the use of the file "ShellExt.dll" ?
I mean the PRG runs without so for what is the DLL needed ?

Edit: A English WebSite for an english PRG would be nice also ;P
Hoecker sie sind raus!
van Dusen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *van Dusen »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:@van Dusen
If I'm right this is apox. 50 MB? why do you open a file of this size in a Notepad Replacement? And why do you compare a big Editor Like UltraEdit with a Notepad Replacement ;-)[...]
Yes, it's nearly 50MB... Usually I do not open such files with a NotePad replacement editor ;) . I've chosen a big file for my "tests", because performance measuring was difficult with smaller files. But it could happen (and it happens), that you press <F4> (with a NotePad replacement editor assigned to) in TC for a big file accidentally... in this case it is important, that your file will be loaded fast (so that you can close it as soon as possible), because most editors do not allow to cancel while loading is in progress. The better solution would be a "Check file limit" option (as in SynPlus available).

The second file has a more usual size (ca. 1.34MB) for files, which would be opened with a NotePad replacement editor - the results for search & replace vary significant.

UEdit and TextPad don't competes with any NotePad replacement, this wouldn't be fair... times for UEdit and TextPad are for information only.

Regards, van Dusen
Dreamer

Post by *Dreamer »

I have contacted the author of NoteXpad. Perhaps he could come here.

the file "ShellExt.dll" is something the right click menu "Open with NoteXPad" need, If you don't use the menu, this file is no use.
Dreamer

Post by *Dreamer »

The author send E-mail to me tonight. He said, he had done too much for NoteXPad and he can't do it anymore.

I understand him. NoteXPad is a freeware, and it's very special that it is programed by Win32ASM, anyone know how hard it is than others that programed by C++ or other.
I know since NoteXPad is Released, for every version, ervery feature, the author has do so much.

So......

But the author also said, he want to make a shareware version of NoteXPad, but it's just a thought. Let's see.

Best wishes to him.