Useful 3rd party tools to complement TC

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Sheepdog wrote:I just began to make a list of all 'all (still) available mentioned tools. (As someone suggested a few posts before.)
Wow, partner! That will be an enormous work! Dont forget to mention the person who recommended the tool :-)
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
gbo

Post by *gbo »

B@rndH wrote: Just tried that. TC comes up "naked" as suggested by gbo. However, the thumbnail-preview doesn't work. :cry:
Thanx anyway!
I just try installing xentient at home and I got the same result/problem as you, what has solved the problem was to

1. right-click on the TC icon (on the desktop) and click on properties
2. choose the compatibilty tab (last tab) and check the first box and choose win95 or win98 (I have a french version so I can be more precise)

Hopefully you should be able to see the icons as mini thumbnails now

Perhaps there is side-effect to this workaround...
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: Do you know that you can even make your own Icons ?
All you have to do is change the icl Icons.dll in IrfanViews Plugin folder
I made some icons myself for the button-bar, but I don't know how to edit a dll.
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

2Gral
Thanks. Looks promising.
B@rndH

Re: Problem running Xentient Thumbnails with TC

Post by *B@rndH »

gbo wrote:... what has solved the problem was to

1. right-click on the TC icon (on the desktop) and click on properties
2. choose the compatibilty tab (last tab) and check the first box and choose win95 or win98 (I have a french version so I can be more precise)

Hopefully you should be able to see the icons as mini thumbnails now

Perhaps there is side-effect to this workaround...
Just tried that! Works grand! :D Thank you so much!!!

What I would like to add (I had to go another "path" since I don't start TC via the desktop!): step 1 works just as well if you use TC, change to its directory, right-click on Totalcmd.exe and then continue as explained by gbo. Of course, to make it work/start you have to restart TC afterwards! :wink:

2gbo:
Well, I would never have come up with this solution! :oops: So: thanx again and my respect!

Regards,
B@rndH
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2B@rndH
I'm glad your problem is solved by gbo :D

But the exact reason for this diverging behaviour still bugs me a bit, as my TC shows the xentient thumbs without running it in compatibility mode (WinXP SP2 german and TC 6.53). If I find the time, I may do a little research...
B@rndH

Post by *B@rndH »

2StickyNomad
Thanks for your interest. I like Xentient Thumbs.

BTW: I'm running the same configuration = XP SP2 ger. and TC 6.53. Meaning I'm somewhat confused what I behaves so differently. Must be something in my TC-configuration (since it works with the w-expl.)?
Well, I'd be obliged if you'd find out something new!

All the best,
B@rndH
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2B@rndH
Must be something in my TC-configuration (since it works with the w-expl.)
Not necessarily, as I tried it with a blank TC-INI-file too and the thumbs still worked. So I presume the rather cause for this is some kind of XP System setting or Shell extension.

I started TC in a blank, not admin-privileged user session and xentient still worked properly in TC. Maybe you could try that too.

Do you run any Anti-Virus software or other goodies in the background? Maybe by conincidence the same as gbo? E.g. Norton Antivirus is well-known for interfering with some of TCs functionality...
B@rndH

Post by *B@rndH »

StickyNomad wrote:2B@rndH
Do you run any Anti-Virus software or other goodies in the background? Maybe by conincidence the same as gbo? E.g. Norton Antivirus is well-known for interfering with some of TCs functionality...
Here's Norman Antivirus under sail. gbo?
gbo

Post by *gbo »

StickyNomad wrote: But the exact reason for this diverging behaviour still bugs me a bit, as my TC shows the xentient thumbs without running it in compatibility mode (WinXP SP2 german and TC 6.53). If I find the time, I may do a little research...
It puzzles me a bit too, and I would prefer to find another workaround because starting TC in compatibility mode causes some applications to not work correctly if started from TC.

What I found in using Process Explorer (great apps BTW) is that

C:\WINNT\system32\shimgvw.dll
wasn't starting if mode compatibilty was not put to win95 win98 on my WinXP PC at home although at work w2k (it works fine) I don't see this dll I will have to double check this evening.

Maybe Ch. Ghisler or someone else could try an explaination.

PS (search on google)
DLL File: shimgvw or shimgvw.dll
DLL Name: Microsoft Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
Description: shimgvw.dll is a library which contains COM functions used for image rendering.
Gil
Licence #17346

gbo

Post by *gbo »

B@rndH wrote: Here's Norman Antivirus under sail. gbo?
Norton AntiVirus 2005, I will try to desactivate it and will let you know.
Gil
Licence #17346

StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2gbo
Well, I'm curious about the results... I checked and I've no shimgvw.dll running, though I did'nt disable Picture & Fax view purposely. But I disabled some not needed SP-services, so maybe I disabeled it accidentially for another reaon (but I would declare that a "happy accident"...), but I'll bet on Norton...
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Hi all,

version 0.98 final of the great free ConTEXT editor has just been released.

I use it as my Notepad replacement for years and it perfectly does the job for me. Its really worth a try if you don't know it yet.
gbo

Post by *gbo »

StickyNomad wrote:2gbo
Well, I'm curious about the results... I checked and I've no shimgvw.dll running, though I did'nt disable Picture & Fax view purposely. But I disabled some not needed SP-services, so maybe I disabeled it accidentially for another reaon (but I would declare that a "happy accident"...), but I'll bet on Norton...
Here is the result of my 'investigations' the problem is definitively due to an incompatibility between TC, Xentient and a third application.

One way to get rid of the problem was to start WinXP in another multi-user desktop (I have two multi-user desktops on my PC, one for me and one for my wife). So my wife's multi-user desktop was displaying mini-thumbnails in TC correctly and this exclude an incompatibility with NAV2005 because it was running.

So back to my multi-user desktop, I was not able to find which application causes the problem, even after ending all processes that was running in the background or/and restarting the PC didn't help.

I noticed something even more weird. Images (*.jpg *.gif *.png) mini-thumbnails are not displaying but if I create a shortcut of one image with CTRL+SHIFT+F5 (.lnk) the shortcut is displayed as mini-thumbnail in TC (could B@rndH confirm ?) :!: :!: :!:
StickyNomad wrote:2gboI checked and I've no shimgvw.dll running
As a matter of fact it was not shimgvw.dll but
\BaseNameObjects\SHIMLIB_LOG_MUTEX
Gil
Licence #17346