Copy to a NAS

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jordi.c

Copy to a NAS

Post by *jordi.c »

Hello,

I have done some test with copying files to my NAS (network attached storage) it seems TC is much slower than Windows Explorer.

Image: http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2498/copytcdn1.jpg

Image: http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4894/copywindowsfg0.jpg

Total Commander shows the speed in kbytes/s and Widnows Vista MB/sec. Does this mean that 18357.0 kbytes/s is the same as 30MB/sec?

Than there is a big difference 12MB/sec Is this a bug in TC?

Kind Regards,
Jordi
Registered user #150595
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, jordi.c.

Unless you have already done so, tell TC to use "compatibility mode" for the NAS drive.
Switching to compatibility mode has solved many a problem related to USB devices and NAS drives.

How to switch:
Configuration => Options => Copy/Delete => Use compatibility mode for the following drives: [......]
Either enter the drive letter(s) or \ for network drives or * to use compatibility mode for all drives.
(Should do no harm. There are hints that the TC internal copy functions no longer offer any advantages over the Windows functions. - Search for "Compatibility Mode" inside the TC forum if you like to read more about it.)

If all else fails, you might use the Explorer Copy Method (ctrl+c - ctrl+v). Using the Explorer Method means you will no longer be able to use "descriptions".

HTH,
Karl
jordi.c

Post by *jordi.c »

karlchen wrote:Hi, jordi.c.

Unless you have already done so, tell TC to use "compatibility mode" for the NAS drive.
Switching to compatibility mode has solved many a problem related to USB devices and NAS drives.

How to switch:
Configuration => Options => Copy/Delete => Use compatibility mode for the following drives: [......]
Either enter the drive letter(s) or \ for network drives or * to use compatibility mode for all drives.
(Should do no harm. There are hints that the TC internal copy functions no longer offer any advantages over the Windows functions. - Search for "Compatibility Mode" inside the TC forum if you like to read more about it.)

If all else fails, you might use the Explorer Copy Method (ctrl+c - ctrl+v). Using the Explorer Method means you will no longer be able to use "descriptions".

HTH,
Karl
Oh my god, Karl.

Where can I sent the pie to?

I have reinstalled the OS today for excluding the OS. So I have tried a lot and than I mean a lot.

The transfer speed gained by 100% 18MB/sec to 33MB/sec.

Anyway what do you mean with; There are hints that the TC internal copy functions no longer offer any advantages over the Windows functions.

Thank you very much
Registered user #150595
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Slightly OT Excursion on "Compatibility Mode"

Post by *karlchen »

hello, Jordi.C.

Really glad to read that "Compatibility Mode" solved your problem. :D

What is "Compatibility Mode"? => Here is Christian Ghisler's answer:
ghisler(Author) wrote:Compatibility mode calls the Windows function CopyFileEx instead of using my own copy function via ReadFile and WriteFile. Since it's just a single function call part of Windows, there is a high probability that it will work with most hardware.
(cf. here)

Why is CopyFileEx not used as the default copy method by T.C.?
Sadly enough the answer which I found (here) is in German. So I will sum it up to the best of my knowledge:
In older Windows versions CopyFileEx had a bug and would consume memory excessively. This bug has been fixed in more recent Windows versions.
Yet, still CopyFileEx cannot append a file to an existing file (*). The TC internal copy function can do so, however.

So in case you know you never use TC to append a source file to an existing target file, i.e. you only copy and overwrite if the target file exists, but do not append, in this case you might configure TC to use Compatibility Mode in all cases.

As a consequence, participants in the German thread opted that TC should use Compatibility Mode for copying by default. Only if the user tells TC to append the source file to an existing target file TC should fall back to its own copy function.

Regards,
Karl
--
(*) I would like to point this out about appending a source file to a target file:
  • TC will append the contents of the source file to the end of the target file. (Same as the Unix command "cat sourcefile >> targetfile" will do.)
  • You should think twice if the resulting file will be usable if you do so:
  • You can concatenate pure text files this way.
  • You cannot e.g. concatenate two Excel worksheets this way or two image files. The resulting file will not be usable.
  • So unless you are pretty sure about what the result will be you'd rather not use the append function.
jordi.c

Post by *jordi.c »

I have pomped 800GB of DATA today from my PC to my NAS.

I want to verify if all the bits are copied ok. I have some high raw read error rates on my Harddisks (according to S.M.A.R.T.).

Is this possible with TC or do I need another program to check if all the bits are properly copied from my PC to my NAS?

Kind Regards.
Jordi
Registered user #150595
Clo

CRC ?

Post by *Clo »

2jordi.c

:) Hello !

• You could compare checksums (let's say MD5) whether it's possible to get a checksum with TC from your NAS
(there is not such a network here…)
- Indeed, it's just a rough control, but you would know if your copied files are correct…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
jordi.c

Post by *jordi.c »

Hello! :)

Under "Files -> Creat CRC Checksums" I cannot make a CRC checksum from a folder but only from files i think.

I have one main folder with a lot of subfolders. The easiest way is to make a checksum from the main folder so the subfolders are automatically into the Checksum. If I have to make for each folder a separate checksum it will take me ages (1100 folders).

Cheers!
Registered user #150595
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Press Ctrl-B and select all files. One MD5 file for all files will be created.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
jordi.c

Post by *jordi.c »

Hacker wrote:Press Ctrl-B and select all files. One MD5 file for all files will be created.

HTH
Roman
Thanks Hacker works awesome this way.

And what does 'HTH' means above your name Roman?
You could compare checksums (let's say MD5) whether it's possible to get a checksum with TC from your NAS
I don't understand you, why should i make a md5 file from files on the NAS? I thought you need only to make one md5 file ( in my case the files on my pc) and run that on the NAS (where I copied the files from pc -> NAS).
Registered user #150595
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

And what does 'HTH' means above your name Roman?
Hope This Helps. ;)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Copy to a NAS

Post by *DrShark »

jordi.c,
I don't know what is NAS, but I recommend you to try KillCopy (killprog.com). This 'copy manager' can validate the data during copying. You can call it from context menu, TC's button/menu or via plugin. You even can replace default Explorer's copy with KillCopy!
Leif

Post by *Leif »

Get Radio? Sure! - the best Internet Radio Player ever! ;)