Color Coded Tabs

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

thomasmahler

Color Coded Tabs

Post by *thomasmahler »

Title says it all. It'd be darn great if we could color code tabs and keep them at that color.

I work in game design and we have lots of projects and I always sorta forget what texture folder was for which project and what 'scene' in the tab actually means.

With color coded tabs, I could assign each project a color and would know immediately what I'm dealing with. That'd be oh so neat.

Another Suggestion: Why not put some presets into the CTRL + D Menu? Like, Control Panel, My Computer, Trash, etc., without me having to search for scripts that invoke those things all the time?

I'd basically set Total Commander so that it pops up every time I press a key on my keyboard and I want it to be my 'I have my computer in control' utility. Right now, it's still a little wonky and I've been using it for about a year now.
eugensyl
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Color Coded Tabs

Post by *eugensyl »

thomasmahler wrote:Title says it all. It'd be darn great if we could color code tabs and keep them at that color.

I do not agree to put many colors into TC. It can looks like a parrot.
My Best Wishes,

Eugen
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

eugensyl wrote:
thomasmahler wrote:Title says it all. It'd be darn great if we could color code tabs and keep them at that color.

Don't you like parrots?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2thomasmahler
Why not put some presets into the CTRL + D Menu? Like, Control Panel, My Computer, Trash, etc.,
I cannot help you with the Ctrl+D menu, but if you download my Extended menus http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/TcMenu_en_7.html then you'll have all those standard folders in the Main menu.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
eugensyl
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *eugensyl »

m^2 wrote:
eugensyl wrote:

Don't you like parrots?
I like. I have twice.

But they have one color each. :)

To many colors can distribute the attention.
My Best Wishes,

Eugen
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

I like this idea.
I often use color tabs in Excel - of course all the sheets are named but it's much easier to switch to eg. the most important one which is red.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
CEUM

Post by *CEUM »

Colored tabs have been discussed many times in this forum, :shock: make a search with "tabs AND color"
Workarounds: HighlightCurrentTab with Power Pro (author Vochomurka) or use of certain themes
CEUM
Stitscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stitscher »

eugensyl wrote: I like. I have twice.

But they have one color each. :)

To many colors can distribute the attention.
For you!
I think it was your own choice to buy one colored parrots.
Give us the choice/option, too. THX!
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

Yes, I would like to have colored tabs, too.

I would use it for each different sort of tabs:
- Locked and renamed
- Locked, but directory changes allowed
- A group of saved and loaded tabs

Just because of the "new tabs", which always receive a standard color. :)

I would like to have colored frames drawn in the tabs instead of full painted backgrounds.

The font color used to be customizeable, too.
-> (define colors according to filelist)

When I want to draw one tab in a special color, iI would like to use the contextmenu on tab to invoke the "Color selection dialog"

When I have 2 Tabs with the same color, I would like to "save this color as group" via contextmenu.

Kind regards
ado

Post by *ado »

I'd say coloring could be definitely very useful.

The question is why you want that? Most probably as originally thomasmahler suggested - because he is working on different projects and he simply want to know easily without checking server/drive/directory which project is in panel now. For example "yellow is pacman" and "red is Halo".

But this will also mean, that just by navigating to different project color will simply change automatically.

So what I am trying to suggest to Christian is to give us option to define colors per directory.
I.e.:
c:\projects\pacman - yellow
c:\projects\halo - red
ftp:abc.com/test - green
with option to specify if color should be inherited to subdirectories or no

Colored can be tab background, or colored frame or even colored background of the panel itself, or background of status line below panel (I want to see that color even when no tab is open). I'd love to have possibility to choose.

I am using this kind of color coding to identify the servers for a telnet sessions. When I see the green background, I know, that it is a development server and I can do almost freely anything. The yellow background means "this is the test server" used by someone else.... I am accessing the same servers via TC and FTP. Just by using the same coloring schema it would prevent me to delete files from wrong server or copy files to wrong server. Simply the block of color is way easier to identify that server name for FTP (than is sometimes enyabcthha3b.abc.cde.ef.com and another enyabcthha3p.abc.cde.ef.com)
or long directories like:
c:\project\old\working\pacman\game\pictures\level1\..
vs
c:\project\new\working\pacman\game\pictures\level1\..

ado
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Today I found that I also have use for it. I have some tabs alway opened, some for the things I'm currently working on and some - to use freely when needed. Different colors would speed me up, so..
Support++.
Vochomurka
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vochomurka »

CEUM wrote:Workarounds: HighlightCurrentTab with Power Pro (author Vochomurka)
Thanks for this ad :)
Here it is.
Single user license #329241
PowerPro scripts for Total Commander
ado

Post by *ado »

CEUM wrote:Colored tabs have been discussed many times in this forum, :shock: make a search with "tabs AND color"
Workarounds: HighlightCurrentTab with Power Pro (author Vochomurka) or use of certain themes
CEUM
yeah, it is good start, but it just highlight tab(s). We need different colors and if possible dynamic (based on directory).
Looks like I finally see strong reason to learn AHK or PowerScript and I'll have to do it by myself :-)

ado
CEUM

Post by *CEUM »

colored frame or even colored background of the panel
it is already possible to change the color of the font for all files in a directory: :wink:
define colors by filetype--> define --> search for: *.* --> plugins: tc path = c:\any\ --> save --> ok.
This option for the background color(s) would be very nice!
CEUM
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

I was talking about the possibility, to take the userdefined "foldercolor" from filelist -naturally- for the font color of the according tab.

ados idea to use a unified colorsystem for tabcolor and colored background of the panel itself is much more sophisticated.

Thanks