7Zip Plugin Continued ...

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

purple

Post by *purple »

sure, here it is:
http://www.humyo.com/F/30589-1347840875

its a bit larger, about 6mb, but i found out that error doesn't occur every time..

i noticed this issue when i was trying to archive and backup my current TC 7.5 dir and its configuration..

i think error occurs when some folders are archived along with bunch of files..
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I could unpack the file desktop.7z without problems with 0.6.4

But the file is called Desktop.tz - you are not by any chance trying to unpack to \\Desktop - that is NOT supported in TC because it is a virtual folder.

You can cd %$DESKTOP% to pack it to your personal part of the desktop or cd %$COMMON_DESKTOPDIRECTORY% to open the shared area of the desktop to copy to.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
purple

Post by *purple »

no, no, i usually unpack to one of bookmarked folders, like desktop ( cd %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\Desktop )..

bummer, so the problem is really on my side but i cant figure out what..
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

cd %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\Desktop should bring you to the same place as cd %$DESKTOP% (if the name of the desktop folder is "Desktop" in the language of the system - here it is "Skrivebord") - so that should be OK too.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
purple

Post by *purple »

eitherway, the problem remains :)
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

I think this has more to do with computer specs and memory requirements than any configuration tweaking. I've spent this weekend setting up a new computer. It has only 512MB RAM whereas my normal computer has 1GB. While extracting software archived up with 7zip using this plugin I have noticed this new computer crashing TC 7.50 as purple is saying. If I take it apart using the computer with more memory that made it in the first place, there's no problem at all.

I have no proof, but I believe the problem is down to the difference in computer specs and specifically amounts of memory available.
purple

Post by *purple »

i have:
AMD Athlon XP 2500+
1.5GB RAM
nVidia 7600GS 256 RAM
2 x IDE HDD 120+160GB

as you see, its older, about 5 years, PC but its not totally low-end and it serves me great for any purpose except gaming so i dont believe it has something to do with my computer performance.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Well, I only have 1 GB RAM on a 3GHz Pentium 4, and didn't have any problems copying from the archive.

Maybe it is OS related. I use Win XP SP3, what do you use?
License #524 (1994)
purple

Post by *purple »

the same, WinXP SP3 fully patched..
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

2purple,

I've been playing with this and I think I see what is happening. You are trying to unpack an archive that is inside the original 7z archive, right? I just added a 7z archive inside a 7z archive to test it. When I tried to unpack the archive INSIDE the original archive, I also got a plugin error. Is that what you are referring to?
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license
purple

Post by *purple »

2Boofo
not really..

im trying to unpack content of 7z archive while im inside it, like while you're in some folder..
purple

Post by *purple »

ok then, will stick to 0.6.3 until some update lands,
thanks everyone for trying to help <3
gewone

Something entirely different.

Post by *gewone »

I reckon this is the thread to post any unusual behavior with the 7Z plugin, so here I go. I'm not sure if this is to consider a "bug" or just natural behavior. However, I'm well sure it could be re-modified in a more fulfilling way.

OK, here's the deal.

When I have this archive.7z containing one file only, I can easily update it through TC (eg. F4/Notepad if we're talking let's say a journal .txt), and then when I close it "Do you wish to update archive" I click Yes and it goes neat and well down the archive.

However(!)..

When there's more than one file in the archive, the update procedure fails entirely. An easy work-around is to keep such archives á one-file-per-archive, but still, this seems worth mentioning! ;)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

gewone,
When there's more than one file in the archive, the update procedure fails entirely.
Sounds like it is a solid archive. Does it work with a non-solid archive?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
gewone

Post by *gewone »

Hacker wrote:gewone,
When there's more than one file in the archive, the update procedure fails entirely.
Sounds like it is a solid archive. Does it work with a non-solid archive?

Roman

You're absolutely right. To be frank, the whole concept with solid/non solid is quite new to me, now after some "catching on" (á Google) I also see the logics in what you suggested. With '7za.exe -ms=off' for original archive creation, the archive re-packs/updates perfectly well, also w/ password and/or header encryption. Thanks for your quick response.

Regards~