English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

[Fun] Screenshots of TC 7.5a.

Post by *fenix_productions »

Hi guys.

I know how much people would like to see new TC, so I've decided to share some "leaked" screenshots ;)

Bon apetite:
http://fenixproductions.republika.pl/tc/tc75_001.png
http://fenixproductions.republika.pl/tc/tc75_002.png
http://fenixproductions.republika.pl/tc/tc75_003.png
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Fenix, I beg you, say that this is a joke.
UI changes are welcome, but...but...not ribbon...:(((
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

2m^2
This thread is tagged as "[Fun]", so no worries.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

fenix_productions wrote:2m^2
This thread is tagged as "[Fun]", so no worries.
I wonder how many heart attacks will this cause....
With me it was close.
Reason

Post by *Reason »

I've used TC since 1996 and personally, I like the original look. The new screenshots look too much like MS Office 2007. Will there be an option to revert back to the original look?
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

As fenix_productions said in his 2nd post, it's just a hoax.
Clo

Nice joke …

Post by *Clo »

2fenix_productions

:) Hello !

• Nice joke anyway… But I ought say that I like the TC icon as a medallion, you could use similar templates for all like
I show IN THAT XNVIEW THREAD :wink:
- However, I dislike the text-captions under the icons, this was proposed a while ago
(not here) and quickly buried, God thank !

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
tridy

Post by *tridy »

Even though it is a joke, thinking about it, I personally do not think that the ribbon would be a good idea. I do not really hate it in MS Office but I do not think that the ribbon will become a standard one day.

First, I do not think it is a good idea to have the ribbon in Total Commander because it takes space (and most of us have learned the keyboard way of living with TC and do not need the toolbar most of the time).

Second, most of the time the purpose of the ribbon is to show what an element will look like if you select the option that displays it. Well, for TC there is not much there to show. Basically, in the TC case, from the functional point of view, the ribbon would not be any different than a normal toolbar with the drop down buttons.

Third, it would take more time and resources to load the ribbon in comparison with the usual toolbar.
[tridy]
License #: 79539
KTamas

Post by *KTamas »

Wow... thank God it's a joke... looks horrible.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

2tridy
It could take same amount of space as now IF you could move there function keys and buttons bars.

Well... it is kicking the dead horse.

2KTamas
Coooome ooooon. I can bet that some new users could come thanks to that ;)

Personally I prefer standard look but with some rebuild for better consistency (like: make all options pages similar; one of them is kept in center when the rest not).

BTW Even if whole ribbon is just a joke, I would gladly welcome same tree panel as on the screenshots.

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I think the no. 1 reason why the ribbon idea isn't a good one is that it's so damn ugly. So if you are looking for a way to mess up your user interface use a ribbon.
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

I can't say it ugly because it's not for me. Vista comes a long way in providing a nice interface.

I can't say it's usable because I merely used it 2-3 times in Office only.

But one thing I'm rather sure: in a few years TC will be one of the few programs without a ribbon thingie.
TC for Linux please!
ado

Post by *ado »

even it is not April - I like that joke (and hope Christian will not get inspired to implement it)
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

The aesthetical problem about Ribbon is that inside a single group all kinds of UI elements are used. There are button groups consisting of small buttons in one row along with single giant drop-down buttons. This looks absolutely distracting.
There are of course ways two make it look less cluttered but that would violate the Microsoft Ribbon styleguide which _has_ to be followed when using Ribbon. That's part of the licesne which you have to aquire from Microsoft.

If you have ever worked with a productivity application that uses palettes (also called toolbar windows) you'll never use Ribbon volutarily again. Of course just using a certain UI element isn't sufficient to make a usable application. I guess findability is what needs to be ensured when designing a productivity applications an app with many commands.

It's also funny to see that some companies think a Ribbon would suit all kinds of applications (actually it suits no application).

At least Microsoft has invented something on their on. It's horrible but not stolen. Looking at Windows 7 they'll return to their good old "try to copy from Macintosh" process.
Last edited by Lefteous on 2008-11-11, 08:40 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

roentgen wrote:But one thing I'm rather sure: in a few years TC will be one of the few programs without a ribbon thingie.
I'm rather sure that something as uncomfortable as ribbon won't become so widely used.
Seriously, I don't know why I hate it so much, it may be distraction that Lefteous mentions. But I never can find anything in a ribbon. I waste 90% of my work time just for searching the options I need. Yes, I could possibly learn it by heart...but only for the programs I use most, with the others I would still be trying all possible ways to reveal the somehow hidden button that I need.

Waste of screen space is another thing, I highly dislike.