SFTP4TC based on PuTTY

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MarkFilipak

putty.log not created.

Post by *MarkFilipak »

Stefan,

Logging is not working for me. What am I doing wrong?

Logging Settings:
Session logging: All session output
Log file name: D:\totalcmd\plugins\wfx\sftp4tc\putty.log
What to do if the log file already exists: Always overwrite it
Options specific to SSH packet logging: (nothing checked)

My target problem:
My server documentation says that SSH is not enabled by default.
I have a default installation.
SFTP4TC works!

Without a log to read, I can't determine what is going on. I could use wireshark, but a log would be easier.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Ciao -- Mark
Hi Christian! Delighted customer since 1999. License #37627
bebbo

Post by *bebbo »

To submit a new help request at berlios you have to select "Submit A Request" (and create an account if you don't have one already) or click here: http://developer.berlios.de/support/?func=addsupport&group_id=2273.

Unfortunately PuTTY will never support to store passwords (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/remember-password.html).

Fortunately PuTTY supports private key authentication and there is PAgeant which holds your private keys in memory, already decoded, so that you can use them often without needing to type a passphrase. http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.60/htmldoc/Chapter9.html#pageant.
There are also many tutorials for PAgeant.

And: all of PuTTY's connection features will work with SFTP4TC 1.3.60.* (current ist 1.3.60.3).

So I load my keys into PAgeant after computers startup and I am set.

Bebbo
bebbo

Post by *bebbo »

Just an update information:

SFTP4TC version 1.3.60.7 supports unicode characters.

The used translation is performed based on PuTTY's translation character set.

Note that you need 2 zip files:
- wfx_sftp_1_3_60_7_base_bin.zip to install the plugin
- uwfx_sftp_1_3_60_7_base_bin.zip to manually copy the unicode version to the normal plugin.
Sorry for this inconvenience, but the TCMD plugin installation does not work with a pure unicode plugin or both plugins together.

Bebbo
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

the TCMD plugin installation does not work with a pure unicode plugin or both plugins together.
It should do so.
I tried to pack both into a single archive and it gets fully installed (both files) :) ... just TC shuts down :(

May there is an init function missing ?
#5767 Personal license
bebbo

Post by *bebbo »

That kind of crashing made me split it into 2 archives...

... meanwhile: nothing was missing - but I figured out that the uwfx and wfx MUST return the same root name (FsGetDefRootName).

... it's fixed and one zip now. Hope it still works :-)

Bebbo
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

.. it's fixed and one zip now. Hope it still works
Good job, installed flawless and still works :)
#5767 Personal license
bebbo

Post by *bebbo »

SFTP4TC version 1.3.60.9 is out to fix some minor bugs.
There is only the uwfx version until someone complains.

Enjoy :-)

Bebbo
SFTP4TC - sftp based on PuTTY
report tickets at https://sf.net/p/sftp4tc/tickets
ZSTDWCX - zstd packer http://franke.ms/packer/zstd.wiki
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

bebbo wrote:SFTP4TC version 1.3.60.9 is out to fix some minor bugs.
There is only the uwfx version until someone complains.
Well, it's not according to specification:
FS-Plugin writer's guide wrote:Note: You cannot have just the .uwfx plugin if you want to create a Unicode-only plugin! Instead, create a combined Unicode/ANSI plugin, where the ANSI functions are just empty functions returning an error.
About pluginst.inf:
pluginst.inf wrote:[plugininstall]
description=SFTP4TC the PuTTY based SFTP plugin V 1.3.60.11
type=wfx
file=plugin_sftp.wfx
file=psftp.dll
defaultdir=sftp4tc
The additional "file=" entry seems to be in violation of specification:
Plugin auto-install HOWTO (TC 6.5 or newer) wrote:The file field lists the actual plugin name, which will be registered in the appropriate plugin dialog.
The extra "file=" entry doesn't do anything does it? But it may cause problems with future releases of Total Commander.
bebbo

Post by *bebbo »

The additional "file=" entry seems to be in violation of specification:
The extra "file=" entry doesn't do anything does it? But it may cause problems with future releases of Total Commander.
Thanks for the advice - guess that entry is a leftover from experimenting to get the uwfx to work. Luckily it has no effect (yet), but will be changed in the next version.

Bebbo
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

What about the About dialog? Is it copied from PuTTY without any change? Shouldn't it be adjusted for SFTP4TC?
SkipR

SFTP4TC v1.3.60.12 feedback

Post by *SkipR »

This plugin is difficult to locate now unless you come hunting for it in the forum. It used to be on http://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm#filesys but I can't find it there, so I went to http://sftp4tc.berlios.de/ and while you can find it there the files page needs to make latest version stand out more.

There is no "pluginst.inf" in zip file on (http://www.franke.ms/Downloads.wiki) which has same name uwfx_sftp_1_3_60_12_base_bin.zip, so use http://sftp4tc.berlios.de/ first. Inf file is no big deal this time as only 1 line is different to any recent inf file you may stilll have:

Code: Select all

description=SFTP4TC the PuTTY based SFTP plugin V 1.3.60.12
I found it quite difficult to install sftp4tc using "TC plugins Manager v2.2.4" (TCPM) on total commander v8.01. It looks like the "uwfx" extension is causing the problem. Is this a standard way of naming FS plugins? If not could you change it so it end with the proper standard (wfx). I have copied plugin_sftp.uwfx to plugin_sftp.wfx then choosen the TCPM "install" button and that seemed to fix it "state" column problem as it changed from "deleted" to "idle" (I dont know if that will cause any issue, so far seems ok). TCPM allows me more control over active plugins and remembering what I have installed.

I know Christian has a SFTP plugin. I was just testing both of these for comparison. I am just posting this in case anyone tries to do a new install of the SFTP4TC plugin and uses TCPM.

Having both Ghisler SFTP (SFTPplug) and SFTP4TC installed seems to work ok I have no problems yet. There are a few differences that I noticed so I will keep using both for now. In particular:
  1. Change dirs where target has execute access only will just beep and not change path where as SFTPplug show "~" in an empty folder which I like better. I can then type in a cd command.
  2. Both plugins log you into "/" dir but SFTP4TC you can set default home dir
  3. SFTPPLUG lets you save password (maybe useful if not using key exchange and pageant)
I have manually set names in "My Network Places" to "SFTP4TC" and "SFTP" using TCPM's tweak option it is less confusing when running both plugins and makes displayed file path clearer (eg. "\\\SFTP4TC\hostprofile\remote-path").

We now have SFTPplug.wfx (by ghisler) and plugin_sftp.uwfx those names are very similar making discussion forums search much harder, is there any chance a better name could be made eg SFTP4TC.wlx or SFTP_putty.wlx?

I know SFTP4TC has embedded putty in the wlx file but which SSL libraries being used are they embedded are they part of putty distribution or are they separate like SFTPplug.wfx? (I don't see any SSL DLL being loaded)
Skip
iana

Post by *iana »

@SkipR the uwfx was meant to be used for unicode only plugins that had an ansi counterpart with the same name and a wfx extension, Lefteous uses this in some of his wdx plugins but those come with 2 files a wdx and uwdx like DirSizeCalc.wdx and DirSizeCalc.uwdx, you can rename the uwfx file to wfx or even dll and that should still work but it's best the author does this.
Alextp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Alextp »

@author of SFTP4TC
Hi,
if u're maybe intertested, SynWrite (editor, topic on ghisler.ch is near) does support FTP api. You may write ftp for SW.
Alextp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Alextp »

ah, stop it, not needed yet, maybe other author will do.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

@author of SFTP4TC

Post by *AntonyD »

Dear author - or other person who can help to me.
As I understood there is only one - indeed working - sftp plugin: exactly described at this topic. Plugin from Ghisler - did not work for me at all and it's outdated completely.

So - there are 2 questions:
IS it a true- that there is no more SFTP plugins - except two mentioned above?
And the second question is: I do not understand HOW I can install latest version of plugin: uwfx_sftp_1_3_60_12_base_bin.zip
TС 8.01 do no see this archive as an archive with WDX plugin. And even IF i will unpack it to some dir and will say to TC - "go and USE file plugin_sftp.uwfx as WDX plugin" - it will not do that. So - how I should install it?

P.S.
Do you have plans - to extend existing capabilities? Right now As I can see from some screenshots - it is impossible to make an autologin with pair <login:pass> - because in plugin there is no such field as "Password for login". But current version of putty for ex. has such feature.
#146217 personal license