Total Commander Forum Index Total Commander
Forum - Public Discussion and Support

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Error: Cannot write (..)! Please remove the write protection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> Total Commander (English) Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longtalker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Error: Cannot write (..)! Please remove the write protection Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

Today I was copying a Queue of files from my computer to another computer on my network, when I received the message "Error: Cannot write (filename)! Please remove the write protection!"

After receiving the error, the Queue was automatically paused and the whole directory that was being copied (which contained the file that caused the error) was removed from the queue. Moreover, after pressing Continue, the whole Queue window simply disppeared, and I had to define the Copy operation again. This time, a *different* file produced the above-mentioned error, the queue stopped, and so on.

I don't know why the copying of any of these files would cause a write protection error, since:
- I was logged in with admin rights
- the file name (+path) was never not exceedingly long (shorter than the allowed 255 chars)
- none of those files was not open for reading/writing by any another program

Could anyone suggest what may be the cause of this error? Many thanks in advance!

PS: As a side note, I am taking this chance to suggest two feature improvements: when this sort of errors appear in the process of copying files, I suggest, first of all, that the whole directory *not* be automatically removed from the queue, and second of all, wheter it would be possible to have an option in the Copy dialog, something like "Automatically skip all read/write errors for individual files", so that at least the files that can be copied will get through. Then, maybe, at the end of the operation, display a log with all the errors that occured.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have write access to network folder? Even if you are admin on your PC, it doesn't matter for network folders because they are on other computers. Did you try to copy files via Windows Explorer?

You may check Options>> button in Copy dialog to find an option to skip read errors. But there's no option for write errors.
DarkRuleR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Error: Cannot write (..)! Please remove the write protec Reply with quote

longtalker wrote:
Hello everybody,

Today I was copying a Queue of files from my computer to another computer on my network, when I received the message "Error: Cannot write (filename)! Please remove the write protection!"

After receiving the error, the Queue was automatically paused...

I got the same error this morning.
My queue also paused.
But the directory was not removed from my queue.

Greetz,

DR...
#106383 Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
longtalker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVV wrote:
Did you have write access to network folder? Even if you are admin on your PC, it doesn't matter for network folders because they are on other computers. Did you try to copy files via Windows Explorer?

You may check Options>> button in Copy dialog to find an option to skip read errors. But there's no option for write errors.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did have write access to the network folder I was writing to.

I did notice the "Skip read errors" tickbox, which is what made me think that a similar one for write errors would be very useful. I get that write error at a rate of 1 per thousands of files, so I'd still like the operation to continue rather than to stop at each error. I can still learn about the errors that occured later, if an error log is produced.

Later on in the day I'll try the same copy operation through Windows Explorer and see if that produces the same kind of error at some point during the operation.
longtalker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I did the same Copy operation through Windows Explorer, and after a few minutes got this error: "Cannot copy (filename): The specified network name is no longer available."

It might be that network connectivity gets lost for short amounts of time (perhaps fractions of a second), although I wouldn't have thought there is any problem with this network.
DarkRuleR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If the network is "down" do you get the same error?

Greetz,

DR...
DarkRuleR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkRuleR wrote:
Hi,

If the network is "down" do you get the same error?

Greetz,

DR...

Update!
I had the same problem this evening.
When the problem accured I checked my network and it was "down".

Seems to be a problem with my switch.
Sad

Greetz,

DR...
longtalker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the network right after receiving the error message, and it worked fine!
longtalker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue is getting really nasty. I was copying files today from my HDD to another part of the *same* HDD, when I received the write protection error again. A few seconds later, explorer.exe gave the error "application has generated an exception that could not be handled", and soon after that I got a BSOD with the message "Fatal error, system halted".

It looks like the problem is on my part, and that I may have underlying HDD problems. Just in case anyone happens to find themselves in the same situation (since, I was surprised to see, a few people here reported receiving the write protection error at the same time as me!), I'll give a few more details.

After rebooting from the BSOD, I found the following two events in Event Viewer:
- "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.", and
- "The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period."
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds really bad, I recommend that you make a backup of your important data as soon as possible!

You can use a tool like the freeware "speedfan" to check whether the harddisk reports any errors, or whether the temperature becomes too high.
Egh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

longtalker wrote:
This issue is getting really nasty. I was copying files today from my HDD to another part of the *same* HDD, when I received the write protection error again. A few seconds later, explorer.exe gave the error "application has generated an exception that could not be handled", and soon after that I got a BSOD with the message "Fatal error, system halted".

Can you reproduce this somehow? Try copying huge files (several of them), like over 8gb each.

Try watching the value of "kernel pool paged" in ProcessExplorer System Info (ctrl+K). I wonder if we have similar problem Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> Total Commander (English) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: